This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 contestants

• Moderators

As it's something which applies across the multiple episode topics (which has allowed the relevant content to be more focused this year) I thought I'd create a separate note to pass on my thanks to all the participants this year who have given their efforts to create some good projects. A year of seeing how things could be better, I think, has benefitted both the contestants and the production team at Knickerbocker Glory with more variety, ingenuity and entertainment. Particularly I would like to thank those who have taken time to give more 'behind the scenes' information on RMweb which has certainly added another dimension with greater insight and understanding for readers.

The only fly in the ointment for me has been Channel 5's rescheduling which I think has damaged the viewing figures, that's not a criticism of KG and I hope it doesn't harm the likelihood of further commissions. I look forward to the final and seeing some of the projects at the shows.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed taking part this year! I suggested a spin off show to Pat Doyle where the production crew could come and visit the contestants layouts. Be it either home or club layouts and demonstrate the layouts and backstory etc? Now that model railways are now on mainstream peak time TV. There is an interest  out there! To give a non modelling programme “The repair shop” people like it and talk about it. My wife love the crafting hobby.There is a whole TV channel dedicated to it!

what does everyone think?

Richard Ballan. Team “ Who’s counting rivets?”

• Agree 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Ballanparkway said:

the production crew could come and visit the contestants layouts. Be it either home or club layouts and demonstrate the layouts and backstory etc?

A bit like we've been doing on the BRM DVD for years then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thing is about TV crews coming to people’s houses to film their layouts is that a lot don’t like the idea because they feel their efforts will be harshly criticised.  Also, quite a few are in places where filming would be difficult, too much light or too dark, so it seems the vast majority that are filmed are club layouts, which are probably better suited.

I take my hat off to anyone who allows a film crew into their home as it is quite intrusive but I do like the idea that a separate programme should be done highlighting the contestants as I think it would show ideas, planning and how they gel (or not) as a team.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely there would be some mileage in a GMRC 'the aftermath' follow up episode ? using some of the pre show interviews with team members, possibly as mentioned some home layout visits, cutting room clips, and after show interviews with some participants, even showing  'what happened to' some of the layouts created ? Tag it on to the end of the series while interest is still high, You could even get the judges and presenters to do a ' scratchbuild challenge' to see what they can come up with !

• Like 3

• Administrators

The reason this is a challenge rather than a documentary is for viewing figures. There isn't a follow-up show for Bake Off* and this encourages people to identify with individuals who you might like to know more about.

TV is terrifyingly expensive to produce, especially if you need a lot of location filming, so you need to be sure of viewing figures. We might be interested in knowing about the teams, but would a million other people? I suspect not. Without the competition, I can't see the average person sticking with a parade of modellers talking about their layouts for an hour. or most people, it's the competition that is the draw. 

*Yes there is "Extra slice" but how much of this is about the baker? It's also very cheap telly to make as it's all studio-based.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Also, quite a few are in places where filming would be difficult, too much light or too dark, so it seems the vast majority that are filmed are club layouts, which are probably better suited.

A big problem. You should hear the grumbles from a certain model railway photographer...

• Funny 5

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You should hear the grumbles from a certain model railway photographer...

Some of the best-lit layouts are home ones, many clubs are more concerned with whether the kettle works rather than the lights. ;)

• Funny 1

I would love there to be a series three. However if there were then I think there need to be some changes in format, either from the producers or from team captains. The layouts that worked best in my opinion were ones that had a consistent feel to them - well as Three Millers captain I would say that, wouldn't I. However I would say that the Railmen of Kent's two layouts seen so far also had that consistent feel as did the Team Grantham's heat offering. (I suppose TG's semi-final offering did too, but that had ceased to be a model railway, clever and well-executed though it was). I would propose that teams think first about what they are trying to achieve as a model railway and then only second about how many animations they need.

If there is a third series then I think a review of the "theme" methodology is required. Are there really another eight "themes" to be dreamt up before we get into the sillies. The final theme of "Surprise Surprise" is a horrible stretch. It may also be worth moving away from the standard 10x5 baseboard and have different shapes in different heats - 10x5, long shelf (15' x 2' perhaps), L shape etc. It might be also a challenge for the semifinal for teams to build a 6x4 "layout for the kids", testing their skills not just to build models but also to create a fun model railway

I wonder too if other scales could be incorporated. Could there be a running OO vs N gauge competition over the heats, the cumulative score being used to determine a wild card entry into a later stage

And the scratchbuild challenge .............

Well we all have our gripes about that, but the worst imo is that if you have a layout with a theme to it, or one that tells a story, then it's hard to fit in a random item

Maybe this is all a topic for another thread, but as a team captain I really enjoyed taking part. It was hard work, I slept for two days solid after filming - at least that's what it felt like. And it took a month or two before I could even contemplate modelling again. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I just hope that others get the chance to do this, but also that they do in a fresh manner and not just in a reheated series two.

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

As it's something which applies across the multiple episode topics (which has allowed the relevant content to be more focused this year) I thought I'd create a separate note to pass on my thanks to all the participants this year who have given their efforts to create some good projects. A year of seeing how things could be better, I think, has benefitted both the contestants and the production team at Knickerbocker Glory with more variety, ingenuity and entertainment. Particularly I would like to thank those who have taken time to give more 'behind the scenes' information on RMweb which has certainly added another dimension with greater insight and understanding for readers.

The only fly in the ointment for me has been Channel 5's rescheduling which I think has damaged the viewing figures, that's not a criticism of KG and I hope it doesn't harm the likelihood of further commissions. I look forward to the final and seeing some of the projects at the shows.

Well thanks Andy.

It has certainly been a great thrill for Team Grantham to be involved in this year's series and we have (almost!) nothing but praise for KnickerbockergloryTV in terms of how professional and welcoming they were - not necessarily two characteristics that go together well. I was somewhat apprehensive about coming up against 'luvvy-duvvy land' but nothing could be further from the truth. They were genuinely fascinated and intrigued by what we were doing, looked after us in all respects and above all were a bloomin' hard-working team. Worth a quick read of the header page on their website https://www.knickerbockerglory.tv/ as I do think a lot of that is genuine and showed through in their work. Pat Doyle (the series producer) gets a regular mention, but I would equally like to highlight the role of the series director Ben Cook who we all thought was thoroughly professional in what he did, keeping focus at all times on what was unfolding in front of him and picking up on every last nuance / glitch to try and catch it as best he could. A thoroughly decent bloke.

DSC07891.JPG.54d713a9e5db854b15cf60a04137c1fd.JPG  Pat (left); Ben (right)

So far as what we got up to, our honest intent all along was to both showcase the hobby and to challenge ourselves to try out different things. I think you're absolutely spot on in terms of learning from the first series and we were all comfortable with the idea of it being light-hearted / entertaining for TV - if there was a Team Grantham battle cry it was probably along the lines of: 'it's a bit nuts but what the hell!' After all, the whole thing's a bit nuts, isn't it?

I would thoroughly recommend the experience to any group of modellers who are prepared to give it a go for what it is - a TV entertainment programme based around model railways.

Edited by LNER4479
Photo added
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to everyone who has taken part without them there would not have been a show. I have a face suited to radio so not for me.

I do think though that the scheduling changes suggest that the show hasn't been as successful as they would have hoped and a third series is at risk but time will tell.

mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was at Fawley, the consensus from KBG was that a third series was already in the planning.  The only way to tell is at the end of the final, if they ask for teams for next year, like they did at the end of series 1, then a it’s a certainty but if nothing is said, I think this is the last we’ll see of it.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

The only way to tell is at the end of the final, if they ask for teams for next year, like they did at the end of series 1, then a it’s a certainty

They have already been asking for teams - but in telly land this doesn't make a new series a certainty.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Some of the best-lit layouts are home ones, many clubs are more concerned with whether the kettle works rather than the lights.

The kettle is important. You can bring your own lights.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

They have already been asking for teams - but in telly land this doesn't make a new series a certainty.

For series two KBG had already selected the teams for Heats 1-4 (Heat 5 was a late addition) when they made the final pitch to Channel 5. In fact teams had to provide self-taken videos to KBG which were then used in that pitch.

KBG will want to do a third series because that is their business. The decision will be Channel 5's though.

Edited by whart57
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Pat Doyle (the series producer) gets a regular mention, but I would equally like to highlight the role of the series director Ben Cook who we all thought was thoroughly professional in what he did, keeping focus at all times on what was unfolding in front of him and picking up on every last nuance / glitch to try and catch it as best he could. A thoroughly decent bloke.

I wholeheartedly agree that taking part was great fun and that the tv crew were brilliant....... even if I did threaten the camera crew and director. If you listen carefully you can hear them all laughing. Pat Doyle has always been very responsive and supportive, and we too found Ben Cook very professional. At the end of our Heat we found him sweeping the workroom up because another heat was starting the next day and he wanted it to look tidy. He said “the runners should be doing it but they have had a busy day so I am doing it”.  Lovely man. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Thing is about TV crews coming to people’s houses to film their layouts is that a lot don’t like the idea because they feel their efforts will be harshly criticised.  Also, quite a few are in places where filming would be difficult, too much light or too dark, so it seems the vast majority that are filmed are club layouts, which are probably better suited.

I take my hat off to anyone who allows a film crew into their home as it is quite intrusive but I do like the idea that a separate programme should be done highlighting the contestants as I think it would show ideas, planning and how they gel (or not) as a team.

Was a really fun day :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Would love to take part in this - if anyone is setting up a team and has a spare space please get in touch!

If there anywhere online that you can register interest to take part?

Thanks, have a happy day :)

I think this shot summarises the crew quite well. Chilled, friendly and professional. 

We really enjoyed making the show and would love to compete again. To come effectively 4th in the semis - if you you look at the points, was gratifying for us and we would have loved to have gone through, but rules is rules and we wish the finalists all the best with no ill humour.

We'll be playing with the layouts at the Rocket Railways open day in Grantham on Saturday. The address is The Old Maltings, Springfield Road, Grantham NG31 7BG. We should be open 9-5, coffee dependant...  

Camera Crew.jpg

• Like 2

Awww I miss all the crew. They were great fun and loved having a laugh with them. Even helping move the layouts into storage. Even Kathy helped move the layouts. 

Mind one thing I want to see changed for next year is better base boards as 2 different designs on baseboards were used. 1 design of 2x 4ft x 5ft and 1x 2ft x 5ft during the first 3 episodes and 3x 3.25ft by 5ft.  This ment dur to the rules some teams could lay a lot more track on two of the boards than others. Other than that I can't think of much else that would need to be changed. 

• RMweb Premium

I believe the baseboard sizes were down to a supply problem from the main supplier (who supplied all the boards for the first season), and the odd sized ones were a last minute acquisition and had to use that supplier's standard, in-stock, sizes.

So a year ago my grandson said “go on grandma, you could do that” after we had watched The Great Model Railway Challenge. What a difference a year makes.

Putting together an all female team was interesting. Making a layout in 24 hours in front of cameras was definitely a challenge, especially watching the heat on the tv with my family. Being  asked to go to the Warley NMRE was a real pleasure. Even the article about the LocoLadies in a national newspaper, local newspapers,  the Peco / Railway Modeller special and two upcoming articles in Railway Modeller and BRM was just fun.

The really scary bit is a photographer from Railway Modeller coming today to take photographs of my own layout. Here. Thank goodness some of my grandchildren are joining me - after all I made it for them in the first place! 

D9828C9B-AFA3-4750-BA4D-4C746C82F802.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1