Adventures In Radio Control

PenrithBeacon

55 minutes ago, 88D said:

Well, I spoke too soon. It was all up and running, so I decided to show my son. Didn’t work: it had become ‘unbound’ and doesn’t want to rebind. I’m using the same controller, RX 63 receiver,etc that appears on this thread, so any suggestions. 
I press the buttons in the correct order, but should zi keep them pressed whilst the binding operation is taking place?

IIRc - switch off the transmitter, switch on the receiver. The LED will flash. Eventually it starts flashing rapidly. Then switch on the transmitter while holding down the bind button, don't release the button until the receiver LED flashes slowly. Then I switch the receiver off and on again to check the bind has worked.

Unbinding sounds a tricky problem, You could try a factory reset of the receiver and try rebinding.

Remind me - what is your transmitter?

7 minutes ago, wasdavetheroad said:

IIRc - switch off the transmitter, switch on the receiver. The LED will flash. Eventually it starts flashing rapidly. Then switch on the transmitter while holding down the bind button, don't release the button until the receiver LED flashes slowly. Then I switch the receiver off and on again to check the bind has worked.

Unbinding sounds a tricky problem, You could try a factory reset of the receiver and try rebinding.

Remind me - what is your transmitter?

Hello Dave, the transmitter is a Micron Tx22v2 and the receiver is  Deltang RX 60.it all worked fine first, bound and loco went forwards and backwards. Turned everything off so that I could post, and boast!, to my local club. When I switched it all back on to show my son — no control. 
I have tried to rebind as before, but the receiver light flashes slowly, but does not speed up (as it did before) to do the bind.

I have tried different channels and checked the wiring: wiring seems ok, but still no rebind on any channel.

any suggestions? Cheers, Dai

Just to be clear  - with the transmitter off, turn the receiver on. It should flash slowly. After about ten or fifteen seconds It should then flash rapidly. If it fails to flash quickly at this point, then it would be worth charging the battery and trying again.

With the Bind button held down, turn the transmitter on, and after a couple of seconds release it. The receiver should flash slowly whilst it binds, and then stop flashing with the light on when binding is complete. 

It may also be that the receiver aerial is not at the best angle for the transmitter - i have (rarely) found that adjusting the aerial position can help, but that is irrelevant if the receiver does not flash fast in the first place.

Check the battery....

18 minutes ago, Giles said:

Just to be clear  - with the transmitter off, turn the receiver on. It should flash slowly. After about ten or fifteen seconds It should then flash rapidly. If it fails to flash quickly at this point, then it would be worth charging the battery and trying again.

With the Bind button held down, turn the transmitter on, and after a couple of seconds release it. The receiver should flash slowly whilst it binds, and then stop flashing with the light on when binding is complete. 

It may also be that the receiver aerial is not at the best angle for the transmitter - i have (rarely) found that adjusting the aerial position can help, but that is irrelevant if the receiver does not flash fast in the first place.

Check the battery....

I did a slight recharge on the battery, perhaps I should have recharged more. I shall give it a bash. Thanks! Dai

• 2 months later...

Getting close to completing the second adventure,  just need to charge up the battery.

I have bought a new battery charger, see the photo, but the destructions aren't too clear. Firstly what is meant by MPX/MCPX and, secondly,  what current would be selected, and why, for the battery in the photo.

All answers most gratefully received because I would prefer  not to blow the thing up!

Thanks.

20210510_122934.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You have a single cell, so plug into any of the 4 1S sockets: your plug should only fit in here.

If it was two cells in series, it would be the 2S socket, and you would be "balance charging" - hence the middle pin.

I suspect the MC part of MCPX is for multi-cell, and PX might mean any number of parallel cells in the pack.

As for current, lowest current setting possible is safest, but it will take longer, but up to half of the stated hourly capacity is, I believe, safe - i.e. up to 0.325A.

You will have some documentation about the cell, either on-line or with it, that states the safe "C" for charging, though. You multiply the current capacity (the 0.650A) by this figure to get the safe maximum charing rate - you may have two values, one for slow, one for fast.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. The batteries came off Amazon with no data sheet. The only data was that included in the Amazon advert. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L9MKWHG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F21V6XVZTJ9372WMHSCX

The gives 'rate' of 50C which also printed on the battery itself. I have looked at the Crazypony website but can't find any other info. Perhaps they were getting rid of old stock. 

I think I'll charge up at .25A. That should be safe enough.

Thanks for your post.

The MCPX actually relates to the plug/socket size, so you’d use the middle socket on your charger. I’m not sure this is an official designation but something eflite started when they started popularising single cell indoor RC models many moons ago. Originally the models used the smaller MCP plug socket combo, but for models that needed a bit more oomph they had to move to the larger MCPX to carry the current.

It is generally accepted that the Max safe charging current for a lipo is equal to its capacity, so 650mAh in this case. Charging at higher rates can be done with some special cells but generally this degrades them very quickly. So you could charge at 500mAh with your charger.

The 50C rating is supposedly the maximum current the cell can deliver, so theoretically this cell will deliver 32.5 Amps! Perhaps, but not for very long!:scratchhead:  So to a large extent these claimed C ratings should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Please follow the usual advice and do not leave cells unattended whilst charging, and any sign of the cell swelling or getting hot (it will get warm) then stop the charge. 

HTH

Idd

• Thanks 1

You should be entirely safe charging at 1S - in this instance up to 650mAh. Since you don't have that exact option, go for 0.5A, which is lower.  I have always charged all mine at 1S and never had batteries even get warm. Treated gently and sensibly they are likely to be fine - the risk is high with fast charging, which the aircraft fraternity are more used to doing than us!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for this. However by way of anticlimax I found that connecting the charge socket to charger needed a cable with plugs at both ends which I don't have. Grrr! I'll contact Micron tomorrow and ask Andy to make me up a cable.

Thanks again.

Strange, you should be able to plug the battery straight into the appropriate socket without any need for a cable. I find you do need to be a bit careful with these tiny plugs and sockets to get them orientated the right way round so that they slot in smoothly, and occasionally they can be a bit tight.

HTH

idd