Aldersgate Station

Guest LU Standard Stock

Guest LU Standard Stock
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

It is an extract from a set of notes compiled by the late Alasdair Gillies for his projected 4mm model of Farringdon. (I assisted him in a minor way with his notes.) Alasdair had a very comprehensive set of books and timetables relating to the period, and had spent quite a while working out the range of services at Farringdon in that era.

Oh fantastic! That sounds like it would have been an amazing project. The info is certainly helping me with working out the sort of movements that I could realistically have. I was surprised to see MR 0-6-0 tender locos on there as in my very limited research (the wider internet is useless and the only books I have are the Steam on the Widened Lines) I haven't seen mention of their use. I've been meaning to backdate my 3F so would give me a good excuse to run it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 16:19, Nearholmer said:

Wasn't the inner Circle operated jointly, with the District providing the trains on the Inner Road, and the Met on the Outer Road, until the advent of LPTB?

If I've remember that correctly, the train is perfectly placed.

The District operated Circle Line trains until the 1972 timetable change on Sundays only, 2 trains inner rail, 2 trains outer rail, Prsons Green men crewed them. They also ran round there on Saturdays to terminate at Liverpool Street, Moorgate and Aldgate. I contributed to a lengthy thread on the District Dave website on this matter including set numbers and times. There's also a lot of interesting stuff on there about the freight services and operation of them.

• Informative/Useful 1

Up until 1972 all types of district stock worked the Circle and the Saturday trains round to Aldgate, CO,CP, Q and R stock. Services were withdrawn in the 1972 timetable due to a number of factors, introduction of C69 on the Met, withdrawal of Q stock, transfer of CO to the District, and the reduction of all trains to 7 cars. A number of the later R stock cars were withdrawn along with most of the Q stock. A few Q38s were kept back as pilot motor cars.

When the tracks were re-aligned in the late 1960s, the Snow Hill line ws abandoned and to connections lifted. However, the LT signals remained lit for many years afterwards.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Having used Aldersgate Street, well really the Barbican, for a number of years this is fascinating.  As to the building works on the surface, they went on for a number of years because the buildings are quite high and so the foundations had to be quite deep.  There was a space though between two buildings either Long Lane or Middle Street/Cloth Fair which if I remember correctly had the buildings either side supported by enormous beams between them which had a blue plaque proclaiming, 'Preserved Bomb Site'.  It was gone by 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LU Standard Stock

Sadly this project will never see the light of day as I am leaving the hobby (multiple reasons). Thanks again though everyone who helped and offered advice/info! :)