Rother Valley Railway coaches in 7mm scale

During my relocation from Derby to Porthmadog I have unearthed some patterns for a casting commission I did for some R.V.R. 4 wheel, Hurst Nelson, coach sides and ends, for models of those supplied for the opening of the line in 1900.The R.V.R. had 6 of these coaches, 4 third class and 2 firsts, although externally they were identical.

More importantly there is also a note giving me permission to add these to my Portwynnstay Models range if I so wished, which I had previously overlooked.

I am just wondering if there is any interest in my marketing these, or even if it is worth outsourcing the rest of the parts to develop a complete kit for them (minus wheels) , with an apparent rising interest in light railways, I think this is probably the best place to ask to gauge the interest. Your opinions would be appreciated ladies and gents.

Phil Traxson 

Port Wynnstay Models

• Like 7

• Phil Traxson changed the title to Rother Valley Railway coaches in 7mm scale
  • RMweb Gold

I suspect your timing is impecccable. While I am not an O Scaler, that community will have been looking over the fence and seeing what Hatton's are now offering the 4mm scale crowd in the way of generic 4- and 6-wheel coaches. Yours are a specific prototype, sure, but with Terriers in the same scale now off the shelf, these could be very popular.  

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, sem34090 said:

If the price is within my budget, I would be up for a couple of sets.

They are working out at £10.50 for a set of two sides and two ends.

Sole bars are moulded with the sides and buffer planks with the ends, and the sides have a recess in the back to locate the glazing.

Thanks for your reply,

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

During my relocation from Derby to Porthmadog I have unearthed some patterns for a casting commission I did for some R.V.R. 4 wheel, Hurst Nelson, coach sides and ends, for models of those supplied for the opening of the line in 1900.The R.V.R. had 6 of these coaches, 4 third class and 2 firsts, although externally they were identical.

More importantly there is also a note giving me permission to add these to my Portwynnstay Models range if I so wished, which I had previously overlooked.

I am just wondering if there is any interest in my marketing these, or even if it is worth outsourcing the rest of the parts to develop a complete kit for them (minus wheels) , with an apparent rising interest in light railways, I think this is probably the best place to ask to gauge the interest. Your opinions would be appreciated ladies and gents.

Phil Traxson 

Port Wynnstay Models

Like most have bought some small 7 mm scale locos and plan to build a small layout to run them, I would think initially a limited run perhapps with those who have shown an interest may give you an idea of whether either having them as a basic kit (hints of who supplies the parts would help) or if there is an interest in a fill kit

I for one would jump at the offer of a part kit at £10.50

Would it be this coach ?

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/light railway modelling/light railway modelling rvr.html

Edited by hayfield

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Like most have bought some small 7 mm scale locos and plan to build a small layout to run them, I would think initially a limited run perhapps with those who have shown an interest may give you an idea of whether either having them as a basic kit (hints of who supplies the parts would help) or if there is an interest in a fill kit I for one would jump at the offer of a kit at £10.50

Would it be this coach ?

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/light railway modelling/light railway modelling rvr.html

I'm afraid the full kits would be some what more than £10.50, this is the price for a set of sides and ends which I can put into production as soon as I am back from trading at ExpoNG in Swanley this next Saturday,(26th October).

For the full kit I need to source or make patterns for all the running gear plus seats. Wheels I leave to the builders as there are so many different standards in use from S7 to old fashioned coarse Hornby.

I think, based on the price I have to charge for my 7 mm. standard gauge wagons, that they will probably come out at around £35.00 plus. Bearing in mind that a set of sprung buffers are around the £7 mark, "W" iron/spring/axleboxes similar, plus seats and materials for floor, roof and glazing, instructions and packaging. 

(note the suggested collective name for a group of Traders/Manufacturers is a  "whinge" !! )   

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson
Missed a bit.
  • Like 1

Phil

Sorry for my confusing posting, which I now have edited

As I poorly said I would jump at a part kit for £10.50, happy to be included if a list is compiled

A suggestion of which suppliers may have parts to finish the coach would be useful to those of us new to the 7mm scene, though I guess after a pair of Slaters etched W irons and buffers from them or Roxey mouldings the rest of the parts may be relatively easy to fabricate

• Like 1

In best Blue Peter style, here’s one I made earlier... to wet the appetite. It’s a lovely carriage.

Phil provided me with sides, ends, some brake gear and spring castings. I built a floor and chassis out of styrene to which I added W irons, wheels and buffers from a Slater’s wagon chassis kit.

The roof is one of the 7mmNGA roof sections and seats were knocked up out of styrene.

A thoroughly enjoyable build, must finish off the rest of the train now.

Cheers,

Andrew

4CACC17B-D2D3-4BFF-A0BA-DA206327D0E5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

New moulds have been produced and casting of sides and ends has begun, these will be available in sets of 2 of each , to make one body, from the middle of January 2020. Initially about a dozen sets, as this is about the life of the moulds. Further production will then depend on demand.

Further work is being undertaken to source or produce suitable parts to make up complete kits but I can set no date on this. Hopefully I can source buffers, springs and axleguards from available commercial ones. Seats, footboards, brake gear, etc. will have to have patterns made, this will have to be done in between casting the rest of my range of kits so could take some time as I am definitely a one man band. (with an over abundance of instruments to play!)

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models  

• Like 1