NCE power cab accessory decoder compatability

G-DIMB

Hi Everyone

Long time lurker here but i'm now getting to the stage of actually doing something. I'm going to use a NCE power cab for my control equipment however i cant see any accessory decoders listed? Can i use any accessory decoders or do i need to know a specific type? I have considered lots of other DCC systems however i feel the power cab fits my needs so would prefer not to have to change. In terms of the layout i'm using Peco Pl10 point motors and have the track feed wired up to a power bus system (layout is only 9x2 scenic section).

Thanks

Hi,

Any type of accessory decoder that is compatible with your point motors will do although as you are using the Power Cab you might want to look into accessory decoder with a separate power supply to reduce the load on the Power Cab.

I've got three different types of accessory decoder on my DCC test track and all work without problems.

Regards

Nick

Any accessory decoder which works with your point motors will be fine. 

But, before spending any money on any accessory decoders, ask yourself if typing accessory addresses into the PowerCab is the way you want to change turnouts.  

If not, then its possible to add a switch panel which connects to the NCE system, or use a computer screen with mimic diagram.   But either of those add more time and money to getting it working.

For simple layouts, accessory decoders don't make sense for the majority of users - far simpler to control turnouts through traditional methods. 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Any accessory decoder which works with your point motors will be fine. 

But, before spending any money on any accessory decoders, ask yourself if typing accessory addresses into the PowerCab is the way you want to change turnouts.  

If not, then its possible to add a switch panel which connects to the NCE system, or use a computer screen with mimic diagram.   But either of those add more time and money to getting it working.

For simple layouts, accessory decoders don't make sense for the majority of users - far simpler to control turnouts through traditional methods. 

- Nigel

Absolutely have to agree.

Having to enter a number into a throttle takes a lot longer than flicking a switch. Arrange to switch correctly and it will indicate the way the point is thrown.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for that guys. I will admit i'm torn as personally ive always done it with a conventional panel however having operated another layout which uses the handset, the sheer simplicity of the wiring etc is worth the extra monetary cost and saving alot of hassle when it comes to wiring.