More progress has been made on the extension, today I've added the rails and filler which have been used to create the tramway style of track outside the Factory Gatehouse. I've also added a little bit more ballast around these areas. Once the ballast is dry I'll clean off the rail heads so that trains can run over this section.

9e785d2b6ce731d9411a6ff080b6ddd1.jpg

The small dots in the photograph are loose bits of ballast, these will be vacuumed up once the ballast is dry.

dcac775e2c59231aa424ebfdac8a4f75.jpg

I have also added some tarmac around the back side of the factory and Peco Rail Built Buffer stops have been installed at the end of the track.

ac146df5e1068c93b3f4b237e3ca5861.jpg

• Like 4

Points and sidings have gone in where the sleeping coach and grounded BY van used to be. The BY van has been moved over slightly so that it will clear the carriage shed/workshops once built. This section of track still needs to be ballasted and weathered. Electrically everything still works and runs over it perfectly fine. My next step will be to wire up the factory lights, weather the track and road surfaces, and add a few bushes to areas that might need them. The sidings are big enough for a few small locomotives and some wagons, the biggest I can fit in a single siding is the Austerity J94 and a single Wagon, which I think is perfectly fine as most the locomotives on this section of the layout will be half the length of the J94. 

dfcf17648ee9720a8917b46c107d88b9.jpg

I still need to get some plywood to go along the front of the layout, originally I had put the cardboard up as a template for making a proper front. But its slipped down the list of things to do and now its not really possible to with lock down in place for the foreseeable future. I know it looks untidy but theres not very much I can do about it at the moment. 

Another photo of the factory and the completed roads and tram track, this was posted on another thread but shows the factory looking a bit more complete than in earlier photos on this thread. 

80cd183ee08599b817994af6c287dc12.jpg

I'm going to try make a start on doing some videos for YouTube in the near future, with a lot of time to spare and now being on 'Easter Holidays' from University for the next 2 weeks I've decided to try do this to fill my time. 

• Like 2

The track on the factory extension has been weathered using railmatch sleeper grime and black acrylic paint that has been watered down. I've also added grass around the factory and growing on some of the tracks. I've also added the lights to the new buildings on the extension.

Because its been sunny over the last few days I've been able to have the garage doors open, photos look much better when theres some natural light in the room.

daf24a95b3bd0808583c8d321e94eb85.jpg

ed3a64711afb0ff249f085bcc97c6a62.jpg

A4 Bittern passing in the background.

3f24efa2c519e3f1cdb478433a798bf9.jpg

Next up I'm going to make a start on building the carriage shed for the new sidings I installed at the other end of the factory.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexHolt said:

A4 Bittern passing in the background.

3f24efa2c519e3f1cdb478433a798bf9.jpg

I see what looks like a top and tailed train with two four/six wheel coaches behind the A4. What is that train?

EDIT:- I meant to say that your efforts are making me think that I need to get my ass in gear and start on my layout. Very impressive work which shows just what can be achieved with a bit of thought and care.

Edited by Chris116

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I see what looks like a top and tailed train with two four/six wheel coaches behind the A4. What is that train?

EDIT:- I meant to say that your efforts are making me think that I need to get my ass in gear and start on my layout. Very impressive work which shows just what can be achieved with a bit of thought and care.

Behind the A4 is the OO9/Narrow Gauge running line. The coaches are HOe Liliput Coaches which have been repainted, the two locomotives are 3D printed bodyshells mounted to the N Gauge Kato 11-104 Chassis. One of the locomotives is a narrow gauge Kerr Stuart Skylark, the other is a freelance tram design.

742 - Kerr Stuart Skylark.

8bd2c2e2b2241c1f1fd7a9dbe90e9857.jpg

Coronation - Freelance Design Tram Locomotive, it was given this name because these nameplates were in the spares box.  

88fb57bffeed0e92218c318c4e301d06.png

The narrow gauge running line is on a shuttle unit so the train will run up and down between the two stations automatically. However the narrow gauge line hasn't run for the last few months. I've found that the chassis I used on these models is not very reliable and keeps cutting out. I've taken them apart a few times to try and improve the running but have had no luck with that. At some point I need to get a new locomotive for this section of the layout. But the cost of ready to run OO9 is very expensive, at around £130 for a locomotive compared to the £25 each it cost to make these locomotives. So for the time being the narrow gauge line is out of use. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ballast has gone down over the sidings where the carriage shed/workshops will be going. Should be dry at some point today and then I can start weathering it to give it a closer match to the surrounding track.

117001e03ff5789c2d8262b2b1895488.jpg

The finished lights on the extension's new factory buildings.

979008d9233f7464dca82de195bda24b.jpg

I've also taken apart the 0F ex L&Y Pug and given it a full service. Decided to have a go at making it run better so I can use it on my Layout's Factory Extension for the Brake Van rides. After a full rebuild and clean its still having problems running. I think the motor might be on its way out.

• Like 2

The new points and track have been weathered and grass has gone down around and over bits of the track. Once the glue is dry I just need to clear the excess grass off the layout and clean the rail heads. I'll post some photos soon, probably tomorrow once everything is dried. 

For now I've got some more photos of the Factory Extension. I haven't shown any from inside the factory yet so thought I'd share them.

0dc890efdd8ae539c702d75a392886a4.jpg

815ddaefac6c1a216bb754ca2af31e46.jpg

I've also made the platform for Holt Farm Station on the Narrow Gauge Railway. This has been made from coffee stirrers which have been cut down to length. Currently waiting for the glue to dry, thats why the paint pots are being used as weights to hold it all in place. I'm going to have a go at fixing up at least one of the Narrow Gauge locomotives again to try and have this running line operational again. 

cccf33ccb0f6c2091f8c313b2d923931.jpg

9 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

I've also taken apart the 0F ex L&Y Pug and given it a full service. Decided to have a go at making it run better so I can use it on my Layout's Factory Extension for the Brake Van rides. After a full rebuild and clean its still having problems running. I think the motor might be on its way out.

I managed to get the Pug going again. Pickups were touching the plastic wheel inserts rather than the metal tyres on the rear set of wheels. Its now running much better. I've had to take the slide bar covers off because the clips were broken. Other than fixing the electrical issue it was having the rear vacuum pipe needed sticking back on, this being a model I've converted' to have vacuum brakes. The cylinders were given a coat of black paint and then a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish and a new driver figure has been added to the cab of the loco. The loco is now good to go and will probably be the main loco I use on the Brake Van Rides until the Peckett I pre ordered arrives later in the year. 

0c76349436689ce5e43732835df5a759.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, AlexHolt said:

The new points and track have been weathered and grass has gone down around and over bits of the track. Once the glue is dry I just need to clear the excess grass off the layout and clean the rail heads. I'll post some photos soon, probably tomorrow once everything is dried. 

For now I've got some more photos of the Factory Extension. I haven't shown any from inside the factory yet so thought I'd share them.

0dc890efdd8ae539c702d75a392886a4.jpg

815ddaefac6c1a216bb754ca2af31e46.jpg

I've also made the platform for Holt Farm Station on the Narrow Gauge Railway. This has been made from coffee stirrers which have been cut down to length. Currently waiting for the glue to dry, thats why the paint pots are being used as weights to hold it all in place. I'm going to have a go at fixing up at least one of the Narrow Gauge locomotives again to try and have this running line operational again. 

cccf33ccb0f6c2091f8c313b2d923931.jpg

I managed to get the Pug going again. Pickups were touching the plastic wheel inserts rather than the metal tyres on the rear set of wheels. Its now running much better. I've had to take the slide bar covers off because the clips were broken. Other than fixing the electrical issue it was having the rear vacuum pipe needed sticking back on, this being a model I've converted' to have vacuum brakes. The cylinders were given a coat of black paint and then a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish and a new driver figure has been added to the cab of the loco. The loco is now good to go and will probably be the main loco I use on the Brake Van Rides until the Peckett I pre ordered arrives later in the year. 

0c76349436689ce5e43732835df5a759.jpg

Nice little update Alex..

• Like 1

Been working on a few things around the Factory and the Narrow Gauge Railway this morning. The track around the factory is now all complete. Weathering and grass have gone down over the new points and sidings, rail heads have been cleaned and everything has been tested and still works electrically over this section of track.

2d0c6dc4481ea44ee278184dcc1a7b17.jpg

The narrow gauge railway is operational again! The steam locos are still out of action but I've managed to get the Diesel Shunter running again. The Platform at Holt Farm Station is also now complete, but it might get a light weathering at some point.

c3c0cda8ea1c6c9fa45f40fa45baf5d2.jpg

BMR OO9 Diesel Shunter on the Service Train. 

f84ba3c230cfa70d21dcdbcfd29fb934.jpg

Heres more on how the model was built and painted:

742 and Coronation await overhaul/maintenance in the yard at the opposite end of the running line. 

278729631657ee6a9b1f07094b667fef.jpg

• Like 4

Short Running Session video of the Layout, the new extension and the Narrow Gauge Railway are up on YouTube.

Main Layout + Factory Brake Van Rides Shuttle Unit:

Narrow Gauge Railway:

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Short Running Session video of the Layout, the new extension and the Narrow Gauge Railway are up on YouTube.

Main Layout + Factory Brake Van Rides Shuttle Unit:

Narrow Gauge Railway:

Nice videos there Alex:good:

• Like 1

Having focused mainly on scenery for the last few weeks I decided to go back and finish some unfinished work on the stock side of the Layout today.

The Midland and Great Northern coaches have had some attention today.  I've fitted the brake gear and underframe detail to the Composite and the Brake Third. The Brake Third has had the door handles painted in brass/gold coloured paint, its also had its rear coupling removed and brake pipes and cosmetic coupler added. This was because the one that came in the kit had snapped and after a number of attempted repairs I gave up and decided to make it the end coach for the set. Overall these kits are decent but the bogies are very lacking, the plastic is very brittle and most of the bogie cross supports snapped just from being cut out of the sprue, at some point in the future I would like to replace them with something more substantial. I also drilled the holes in the roofs for the Composite and Brake Third, the holes are needed for fitting the vents and lamps. All I need now is to fit the windows and find some paint thinners so I can paint the roofs on the Composite and the Brake Third. Ran out of thinners and only just realised today, this does somewhat halt progress on the coaches and the Ratio Carriage shed I was building for the factory extension.

Composite Corridor

8795b559639bacc6c77daf963d01e7dd.jpg

Brake Third

3e4050627ad14e6264886d99fb3881e6.jpg

And here are the two other coaches in the set which are already finished.

Brake Composite

638289b68172612eed03bb5eedf5a660.jpg

Third Corridor

f3f0e635f4122c11b02da31f3999e4a1.jpg

Full set of 4 coaches on a test run behind the A4.

496b25e6faf4bafedaf665f823bd02f9.jpg

acd36537f6a2e6193487dafd1519ea90.jpg

This set of coaches is nearly complete now. The plan was to enter these as my Kit Built entry for the 2020 Modelling Competition at my local club in October, however with the current situation with Coronavirus in the world that may not go ahead. 

Speaking of the Annual Model Competion, I've started the planning and research stage of my next modified build. Last year's A2/1 built from a Bachmann V2 was very popular within the club and at the few exhibitions it went to, it even won best Modified Model 2019 at the club. So to try and win the trophy for another year (if the competition happens) I'm making a start on another model thats been modified from a ready to run model. Currently in the research stage, finding what exactly needs to be different and if I can do it for a reasonable price. Don't want to give away too much at the moment but the only clue I'll share for now is that its got something to do with a BR Standard.

• Like 4

Warehouse has started to go together. Very simple kit compared with the other Metcalfe buildings used on the Extension. The kit is mostly just gluing windows to window frames and then gluing the frames in to the brick wall. Only took a few hours to build it and add all the LED Lights inside. Still got the roof to finish off and adding grass/bushes to the ground around it.

a402cc3e3d0c19b598ebc0f08074cc50.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Warehouse has started to go together. Very simple kit compared with the other Metcalfe buildings used on the Extension. The kit is mostly just gluing windows to window frames and then gluing the frames in to the brick wall. Only took a few hours to build it and add all the LED Lights inside. Still got the roof to finish off and adding grass/bushes to the ground around it.

a402cc3e3d0c19b598ebc0f08074cc50.jpg

Like those warehouse building Alex..

As hinted at in my post a few days ago I've started work on a new locomotive project. I've now completed the planning stage where I was measuring everything out and working out what needed to be moved and what needed to be added to the model so now that I know its possible I can actually reveal what it is. My next big locomotive project will be building a BR Caprotti Standard 5 from a Bachmann BR Standard 5MT. 73068 has been in the fleet for nearly 16 years, it was secondhand when I first got it so its had quite a long period of time to run over the years. Having been one I owned when I was much younger its been through the wars a bit and is missing a few bits and pieces. Its also in need of a repaint. As such its now reached its turn in the restoration queue I've been working through. Rather than just do a repaint and make it look like any other Standard 5MT I could buy off the shelf I've decided to convert it to the Caprotti Valve Gear varriant of the class. This will at least mean its very different and will breathe some new life in to the model. The intended identity of the model once rebuilt is 73129, the preserved example of the class fitted with Caprotti valve gear. It will be repainted to BR black and the necessary modifications will be made, any missing parts will also be reconstructed. Paint has been stripped from the original model today marking the start of the project. I'm going to give spay painting this a go, all my models I've built in the past have been brush painted apart from the Prototype HST which was also spray painted. 

Here is the donor model.

ac7ee1972e7bf4f9cd6cdfb88f8f942a.jpg

And here is what I hope to get it looking like.

5b2aa4793d35dd1f2dbf1ba508d96b9e.jpg

Original Photo by David L Quayle, photo can be found at https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/73129-2/

Parts I need to replace

Pipework on fireman's side.

Steps on front of loco and on tender

Vacuum Pipes

Speedometer Cable

Tender might need to be replaced with a BR1B tender, currently its a BR1C from the original model. Externally there were not many differences between the two so I might get away with the BR1C tender. 

Brake rods for locomotive, also need two new brake blocks for the rear set of driving wheels.

Parts I need to add/Modify

Caprotti Valve Gear Cam Box on cylinder block

Caprotti Valve Gear (Already have a set spare). This will involve chopping bits of the existing valve gear off. 

Repaint, lining, numbers and correct builder's plates. 

Whistle Needs to be moved to the firebox of the locomotive.

• Like 1

The carriage shed was painted yesterday and has now been glued down. I've had to use print out roofing sheets because the one that came with the Ratio kit wasn't particularly good and lost its corrugated effect in places once glued down. The Shed was painted with GWR green for the supports and LNER apple green for the cladding. A short strip of 12v LED lights have been fitted inside, the power wires for these run down one of the support legs. All thats left to do is weather the roof a bit. Nearly done with the extension now, just got to do the finishing touches. 

4edd9fa6dbcb0b6483f47d37b05ccc31.jpg

Austerity J94 No. 80 and a few wagons inside the shed.

efa8c100ffc31719047e2f32d7ae45b9.jpg

ef30d76290aacf62da9bf079a45e6e4e.jpg

Work recently has focused on finished the Midland and Great Northern coaches and converting the 5MT to 73129. The coaches are nearly finished, but I'm 4 lamps short for the Brake Third's roof, so I'll have to look in to sourcing some more of those, though it looks like the only way to get them is through the kits and they aren't available separately. Work on 73129 is progressing slowly with work having started on converting the cylinder block, I'll post a more substantial update when I actually have a decent amount to write about. 

• Like 5

The junction between the sidings and the factory has been re-signalled. The old large two aspect signal has been removed and new semaphore ground signals have gone down and point levers have been added to the carriage shed sidings. da89c61e3a123b1c4b6d38e270b152bc.jpg

Work has also been taking place on the Midland and Great Northern Coaches, with windows now added to the Composite and Brake Third. The roofs are nearly finished and just need painting now, which will take place once a new tin of white paint has arrived. 

99cfb3803594f02a996f2e737509f2f7.jpg

85fcb8b3550244505017afa481cfa088.jpg

Recently I've started to post on other social media platforms so haven't been posting here as much. 

• Like 2

Been quite some time since I last posted an update. Mostly been working on the OO9 layout/module for the club's exhibition layout instead of my own OO layout.

Some new coaches have been bought for the OO9 section of Sands Road. Two coaches and a brake van. In the background is the start of the OO9 trench railway. Haven't decided what colour to paint them yet. 

fedc2aa68a31e3cc5cf444348dc415ed.jpg

The terminus station for the OO9 section of Sands Road has been named Sherwood Halt. Its also been resurfaced to have a tarmac surface instead of wooden planking. 

c2cea4eecaebc074b530259a90fbca82.jpg

• Like 4

A few updates on the OO9 section of the layout and some updates to stock this week. 

The Narrow Gauge line has had a new set of coaches built as it hasn't ever really had any suitable stock to run on it. The original coaches used on this section being Liliput coaches which constantly derailed. So I've bought some 3D printed kits, 2 coaches and a brake van for use on this section of the layout. The kits are 3D prints which require gluing together and painting they are very basic and only cost £7.50 each however they do come with couplings and metal wheels, something that a lot of the other kits in this price range do not come with. The brake van was built as the kit intended where as the coaches have been modified slightly, they were originally compartment coaches but I've cut the window and door frames out to turn them in to open coaches. They have been painted in SECR Coach Maroon and the transfers that were used were spare LNER Coaching Stock transfers left over from another recent project. 

86638fc1240a11faeaf34178ce89eec6.jpg

f232fe1338e5440fd5bf27082981f5b7.jpg

The Narrow Gauge line is also receiving some permanent way modifications and repairs, the curve entering Sherwood Halt has been relaid to be more gentle so that larger locomotives and stock can run on the line. 

07a334666814dcb751a8605fd1699002.jpg

Plans to extend the narrow gauge section are also being made. However this will most likely be after lockdown ends. The plan is to add a corner board within the far end of the operating well. This will allow the Narrow Gauge line to curve round to meet up with the standard gauge station. I'll also take this opportunity to add some proper engine sheds where the waiting room for Holt Farm currently is. 33d03e1d7451e4b598f8cdefdadaa988.png

The 5MT has also seen quite a bit of progress, none of which has been shown here yet. The conversion has been completed and the locomotive is currently being painted and lined out. Currently awaiting a few touch ups around the windows and buffer beam before it is fully finished. The locomotive has also been given a new tender as the original had a very badly warped chassis. The plan is to finish it off in Satin Varnish.  I don't think its too bad considering that it is my first ever attempt at lining a locomotive. 

b025564d2e034990d31d1b1c23b4cde7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Recently I've been working on the OO9 section of the layout and OO9 Kerr-Stuart Skylark No. 742. This model has been given a new chassis recently. The Kato 103 chassis it had originally wasn't very good at slow speeds and kept stalling so I decided to give the newer Kato 109 chassis a try. It now runs much better than it ever did on the Kato 103 chassis. The Kato 109 features a coreless motor and a compensated split chassis. I've also got another 109 chassis that I plan to use on a OO9 diesel that I am building. Videos of both are now up on YouTube.

Here it is with the original Kato 103 chassis.

And here it is with the much improved 109 chassis.

Other work has involved building a Meridian Models Quarry Coach Kit which is yet to be painted. Pictured here on the OO9 Trench Layout which is also a work in progress. Might make a separate topic for this layout in the future, but as its just been used to photograph stock for the main layout I've used the picture anyways. This also shows quite a bit of progress on this layout since it last made an appearance in this Topic 2 weeks ago. If people are interested I could make a topic for this other layout, however as its part of a larger modular club layout I'd have to ask other members first. 

c94b100946693964e055aca874150594.jpg

Thats all for this week's post.

• Like 1

The Meridian Models Quarry Coach for use in the Narrow Gauge Railway's train has been painted. Currently awaiting its final coat of Satin Varnish to match the finish of the other coaches and the Locomotive. This concludes the upgrading of the 009 section of the layout and improvements to stock for it. The focus from now on for Sands Road will be on Standard Gauge with narrow gauge stock and the trench layout being separate from this topic.

0007ef0efd41b9492924de0a9e94149d.jpg

d007f1e5e90d9bdbee9d16aa751a440a.jpg

I've also uploaded a short video of the completed Ratio LNWR 50ft coaches painted in M&GN Teak livery. Just a few pictures and a short running session.

• Like 2

Recently I've been focusing on OO9 narrow gauge and improving the stock for both Sands Road's narrow gauge railway and the separate trench railway layout. Last month I focused on coaches for the railway and this month I've decided to focus on locomotives and wagons. Scenic work has still been taking place on the layout although not as much as before. 

Firstly, a bodyshell for a OO9 locomotive has arrived recently. This bodyshell represents a Katoworks 4DL class, also known as a 'bongbong'. Its a 3D printed body shell mounted on a Kato 11-109 chassis. A very high quality print with hand rails much like you'd see separately fitted on other models, the only problem I have had was the bottom end of it was slightly warped. This was fixed by putting the bottom end of the model in boiling water and then holding each side as flat as I could get them. 

My intention with this model is to have it in WDLR livery so that I can run it on my trench layout at club open days and exhibitions and also be able to run it on Sands Road's OO9 section. I've painted the model with Vallejo black paint and I've given it the Number 1103. The number transfers came from a sheet of BR Blue Mk1 transfers however I've simply used them as locomotive numbers. I've got WD transfers on order which I'll add to the sides of the locomotive. 

50641576893e458f2e88c7087568f434.jpg

Also had some minitrains brigadewagens in wartime grey livery arrive for use on the main layout and OO9 trench layout. These are very high quality wagons, I'm considering getting some more when they come back in to stock or possibly some of the Minitrains Ambulance or Flat wagons. I'm also looking at the Bachmann offerings for OO9 wagons. I may consider the dundas models kits as well.

08716d7acc3b0f5f90de9166eb6cfdb9.jpg

In terms of scenery, I've added a few lichen bushes around places that needed some nasty glue marks hiding. Mainly around the engine sheds and the village scene. I've also made some card kits I've had sitting around for the last 6 years. I bought them in a castle gift shop and never got around to making them. They are very basic with the windows being printed on and not see through. I'll be adding these to the country end of the layout when I extend the hill out. 

67d4a981ad086ed2a1b2d34c00c366e7.jpg

I've recently opened up a community discord server for discussion all things model railways and as a place for people to chat with others within the hobby. For those that don't know Discord is much like skype in that it has both text and voice messaging. Its a public chatroom which anyone can join, the invite link to the server is: https://discord.gg/p9xyvqj 

• Like 1