I've taken the decision to repaint the P1. Although I originally wanted to preserve the original builder's work and paint job it has been deteriorating quite badly since I got it. Paint had started to flake off in a number of places on the loco and tender and after so many touch ups I've decided the best course of action is to strip it back and repaint it in full. The P1 will be repainted in LNER Black with Red Lining, this may not be 100% correct but it is pretty similar to other LNER freight locomotives and I think it will be more interesting than just doing it in plain black. Transfers have already been ordered and the paint has been stripped. Over the Christmas period I'll be making a start on the repaint. It will be finished in pristine condition with no weathering. On stripping it down I found that more of it is made of brass than I originally thought, the whole of the tender tank is brass, the running plates and cab sides are also brass. The only plastic on this loco is the boiler which came from a tender drive A3. 

The P1 a few months ago when I first got it. Doesn't look too bad in these. 

9a3c2879af0f55edd7255f3b3de2009d.jpg

586ac30d5dbfaf8d76cd6c9482bb013a.jpg

Scenery updates coming soon. Waiting on the arrival of the ballast. Also got to see how much grass I have left over from building the OO9 layout. 

Edited by AlexHolt
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

First of the scenic items I had ordered arrived today. Weathered the track on the countryside board. Sprayed with railmatch sleeper grime and then had watered down acrylic paint brushed over the centre of the track. 

096a802c413ac41f6b3a815a02fa41bb.jpg

8447110ddf2813a36876e4490a3d783b.jpg

776a6bc679836a6214b48689e7f0afb4.jpg

e0afb25ff6923e9f5d45d2a51a5cfec2.jpg

LMS Crab with the SECR Set at Longhope Junction. 

a1d1d97b56452b7e81b56e0cb39dbed7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Finished ballasting the branchline and remaining section of the main lines. Didn't need that much ballast to finish it off but had to buy a full container of ballast anyways. Perhaps I'll have further use for it in the future. The ballast is woodland scenics fine grey blend. Once its dried I'll weather it in a similar way to the rest of the main lines. Adding the grass mats will be next, currently waiting to finish off the OO9 layout with it before seeing how much left I can use on the OO layout. Plan for this end of the layout is to have it as countryside and forests with no buildings.

22f6874696ef940ba8805d81881ad498.jpg

721e48db9239ff0f2848658ab95ad01b.jpg

ac4f7a46a959adff8f44ff29cc69452f.jpg

bb26f072e7085be468e0856941a6837d.jpg

• Like 1

PVA used on the ballast is taking ages to dry, mainly due to the temperature in the garage being very cold. I've stuck in some black painted card inside the tunnel mouth to disguise the wooden supports inside.

Photos are bad, looks better in person from normal viewing level. 

e25b3d787e0f79ace5b76142428328dc.jpg

1ef238ae125c6771c6664c7fb8552ba9.jpg

• Like 1

Ballast is drying still. Ballasting was done with watered down PVA, though it wasn't watered down that much so I think that its the temperature making it take longer to dry. Its been nearly 4 days since I ballasted. Its un-insulated in there so is rather cold at the moment. Was thinking I might try use a hairdryer to speed the drying time up but not sure if that would have any negative effects. 

The P1 and ROD repaints have started so at least I have that to keep me busy until the ballast dries and I can run trains again. Transfers and number plates arrived for both of them so should be fairly quick to finish off. 

Small amount of work is being done to the branchline canal bridge. Trying to figure out how I make it more 3D rather than just the 2D printout it currently is. Will probably have it done within the next few update posts. 

So I tried to use a hairdryer to make the ballast dry quicker. It didn't work. It also warped one of the fences alongside the branchline and narrow gauge railway because of the heat.

43c743fac802a9d9d70e5d0645679c1d.jpg

Guess I'll be waiting for it to dry for even longer now. We're now on day 5 since the glue went down. Limits me from doing anything else or running trains so I took this time to paint any exposed wood in white paint the same as the station board. Boards are now all painted in white, just need some black stage curtain to go around the edges. Need to figure out where I get that from first.

Once the ballast is dry I can then weather it the same as the rest of the track. I'll then do the grass mats, the hedges and trees. After that is all done Sands Road will be complete and will only require small other details to be added elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Ballast finally dried after 6 days, it really is too cold out there to be doing scenery at the moment. First coat of sleeper grime has gone on to weather the tracks, once dry the black wash will be brushed on the centres of the tracks. The weathering is heavier round this end than on the straight sections, overdid it a bit but not too much of a problem as real railways have differences in the track. Hopefully its all dry for christmas so I can run some trains again (and hopefully some new ones).

687b50e1e3a41e0f30bc44c04a607fd3.jpg

Not much progress on the scenery front but quite a bit of progress on stock repairs/maintenance whilst the tracks have been out of use, all locos that needed maintenance have had necessary work done to them. 

Stock Updates:

The prototype HST has had new traction tyres and brushes as I had spares left over from the P1. Looking at using the other nose cone on a newer model such as the Lima HST or Hornby Railroad HST. 

Scratchbuilt P1 has had its first coat of primer, waiting for that to dry currently. Although I have found photos of the P1 in LNER Lined Black I've decided to do it unlined because of the ammount of pipework and detail stuck on one side of the boiler which makes it harder to do without taking it all off. I don't want to dismantle the entire loco.

Bachmann ROD 3023's repaint from BR Black to GWR Green now only needs its final touch ups before varnishing.

The Thompson A2/1 has had the axles and wheels cleaned. Being built on a Bachmann split chassis V2 this model needs more maintenance than others in the fleet, since it was built in July/August its run at 2 shows, 1 club open day,  5 club running nights as well as most running sessions on my own layout, probably run the most out of any I own this year. From all this running it has picked up quite a bit of dirt. 

The Lima class 47 and class 50 have had new traction tyres and had their pickups and wheels cleaned to improve reliability. 

83d7b31e5f15a56f566909c21586f371.png

• Like 2

So it appears the ballast only dried on the surface and not all the way through. Finished weathering and started to clean the railheads only for large clumps of ballast to come away on the sides of the cloth. 

I think I won't be doing any scenery over the winter at least. With it being so cold in here that the glue won't dry for over a week. I have never had this much trouble trying to ballast before on the layout but then again I've never done ballasting when its been cold. I'm pretty fed up with this and just want to run some trains again. No idea when it will all be operational again but presumably not this week.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Merry Christmas!

Few new Christmas additions to the railway. A Dapol kitmaster crane and ratio bolster wagon kit are two I'll be building up at some point. Also got a gaugemaster electronic track cleaner, will have to figure out how to wire this in at some point. 

Got a new loco. A Hatton's P Class in SECR Lined Green. I've added the route discs, couplings, steam heat pipes and oil cans. I've also added a P&D Marsh loco crew. Good little loco, powerful enough to pull all 8 of the SECR 4 wheel coaches. Finally have a loco that matches the coaching stock. It needed some adjustments to the pickups so that they were all touching the wheels but once that was done it runs perfectly. Wondering if its a little too detailed/fragile to take down to the club. 

4907a9eebd5916981c43ce5134fe0f51.jpg

IMG_20191225_111924.jpg

625c233c85bc00212972b4d6f937fac4.jpg

Got a bit of money to spend as well. I'm looking at the Hornby O1 in NE wartime black or a Ruston 48DS shunter. Keeping an eye out for bargains and seeing whats available. I'm eyeing up the double tender Bittern by Hornby but it is on the expensive side, I've never spent more than £100 on a loco so £180 is a bit steep in my eyes. Did used to work quite a lot on Bittern during its time at the mid hants though, probably the loco I've spent the most time with so would make sense for me to own a model of it. 

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 20:03, AlexHolt said:

I've taken the decision to repaint the P1. Although I originally wanted to preserve the original builder's work and paint job it has been deteriorating quite badly since I got it. Paint had started to flake off in a number of places on the loco and tender and after so many touch ups I've decided the best course of action is to strip it back and repaint it in full. The P1 will be repainted in LNER Black with Red Lining, this may not be 100% correct but it is pretty similar to other LNER freight locomotives and I think it will be more interesting than just doing it in plain black. Transfers have already been ordered and the paint has been stripped. Over the Christmas period I'll be making a start on the repaint. It will be finished in pristine condition with no weathering. On stripping it down I found that more of it is made of brass than I originally thought, the whole of the tender tank is brass, the running plates and cab sides are also brass. The only plastic on this loco is the boiler which came from a tender drive A3. 

The P1 a few months ago when I first got it. Doesn't look too bad in these. 

9a3c2879af0f55edd7255f3b3de2009d.jpg

586ac30d5dbfaf8d76cd6c9482bb013a.jpg

Scenery updates coming soon. Waiting on the arrival of the ballast. Also got to see how much grass I have left over from building the OO9 layout. 

I assume the P1 escaped the Thompson purge and the LNER found some useful work for it.  On a serious note I know of only two other P1 models, one of which is owned by Mark Shipman of our modelling club, and the other by someone he knows.  Marks is a Crownline conversion, much of which is brass with a Hornby A3 (or actually A1 as there are no "blisters" on the smokebox sides) boiler and a few other bits. Mark's is 2395 and the "other one" is 2394.  Is this a third one or are you the owner of the "other one" and know Mark?

Les

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

I assume the P1 escaped the Thompson purge and the LNER found some useful work for it.  On a serious note I know of only two other P1 models, one of which is owned by Mark Shipman of our modelling club, and the other by someone he knows.  Marks is a Crownline conversion, much of which is brass with a Hornby A3 (or actually A1 as there are no "blisters" on the smokebox sides) boiler and a few other bits. Mark's is 2395 and the "other one" is 2394.  Is this a third one or are you the owner of the "other one" and know Mark?

Les

Yes I suppose it escaped the Thompson purge. Though its more a case of I liked the look of it and bought it.

I don't know much about the original owner of this loco. There was a stand at the Woking REC show and again at the Farnham show in September/October that was selling a lot of kits built by someone who had passed away. I've got two kits that this person made, a P1 and a Sentinel Railcar. The stand also had a few A2/2s and an A1/1. I think this is most likely a third model from what I currently know. I was only aware of one other myself which I have linked below. 

The P1 likely never ran with its previous owner, doubt the railcar did either. The insulated and live wheels were mismatched and it would short whenever it touched the track Its been done as a tender drive loco. Its got a Hornby ringfield tender drive to power it. When I first got it I posted a topic and found out that it wasn't actually from a kit but was likely scratchbuilt/modified.

In terms of what its made from, the boiler is plastic, it is an A1 tender drive boiler. The chimney is white metal, the snifting valve is brass. A lot of the smokebox is just filler, not too sure what went on here, there was a dent on the top of the smokebox when I got it which I've tried to correct, I think the large amounts of filler are because the bottom of the smokebox, steam pipes and smokebox saddle are whitemetal. The running plates are several bits of brass soldered together. The cab sides and roof are brass. The tender drive is from a Hornby D49 chassis. The body is then a mix of plastic, white metal and brass. I have no clue what the loco chassis is from, I'm assuming its from a 2-8-0 kit based on the fact that the rear pony truck appears to have been made out of spare bits of sheet metal of different lengths on each side. 

Yours almost certainly is no.3, with Carlwebus's one number 4 and there is a possible link to a number 5 there.  I'll let Mark know there seem to be another three out there.  He has been showing his on the LNER  Society stand at Warley and Peterbrough shows, and as far as I'm aware it will be on display again at the Doncaster show in February.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

I believe that Carlwebus' P1 got sold on via an ebay auction, not a clue where it ended up but I suspect the new owner isn't a user of this website. There must be more P1s around but clearly not very many.

Edited by AlexHolt

Started to build up the crane kit I got for Christmas. Its a Dapol Kitmaster crane with a Ratio bogie bolster wagon to use as runner wagon. Going to paint the inside of the crane and fit windows before fitting the roof. Still need to fit the crane arm to it but waiting for everything to properly dry first.

5508c73ec7c84c76943d09f890bc95ba.jpg

Also got a Gaugemaster HF2 track cleaner. I'll wire this in soon, don't know how much of an affect it will have, says it doesn't work if you have lights inside your coaches. The Thompson set has lights in, as do the pullmans so it will have no effect whenever those coaches are running round the layout. 

062bf09aaa4a7076258ca3f201e0ba80.jpg

Edited by AlexHolt

So the HF2 Track Cleaner didn't work at all. Wired it all up and it wouldn't function properly, after testing with the multimeter found out that something inside isn't right, all the inputs work but none of the outputs do. Going to return it and possibly find something else. I think the Gaugemaster Track Cleaning wagon would be a better buy, not much that can go wrong with a wagon at least. 

The ballast is finally fully dry and I was able to run some trains today. The P Class has been run in fully now. I've filed down the small tags on the side of the route discs down and painted them in Humbrol Gloss white. Was going to attempt to do the black cross but gave up with it. The Hattons P class is now fully complete, no more work to do on it other than enjoy running it. 

New addition to the fleet this morning. A Bachmann G2A in LMS Black. Bought the last one in stock from Kernow's Guildford branch. Currently its running in, runs perfectly in both directions and is very smooth. Once its run in I'll add a crew and the vacuum pipes. 

317400760091e8bab41948c30c01c447.jpg

Another new addition from Kernow. A Bachmann SR Pillbox Brake van. This will be replacing the Wrenn Brake Van thats currently in the freight train. 

ab4291c083a025ec7ff8ce3eeee2b2ef.jpg

Also picked up some more pva glue to do the grass mats on the country end of the layout. I've now got an electric heater in the garage/railway room so should dry quicker now and be a bit warmer. 

• Like 1

Grass mats have started to go down on the country end of the layout. Trees and hedges have been ordered and should arrive in the new year. The main layout will soon be finished.

A noticeable problem I now have is that I've got too many locos for the engine sheds. Enough to overfill 7 tracks worth of engine sheds and the prep road at the sheds, as well as some in boxes and off the layout. Because of this I'm now starting to plan an extension to Sands Road in the form of a Museum Shed similar to the likes of Station Hall at the NRM York and at NRM Shildon. This museum/extension will be used to store the locomotives that do not run to often or are of importance, such as the P1 and Prototype HSTs. 

I have two choices. I can either do a 6ftx1.5ft board parallel to the Factory or a 4ftx1.5ft board that is 90 degrees to the factory. The workbench board I will also be building will be mounted to one of these two, though sizes for the workbench I currently am not 100% sure on. 
The two designs are what I can fit within the space. Both have pros and cons. I've kept the reasons why simple;

• Design 1 allows me to store more locos but takes up more space lengthways. It also involves moving the bike rack/storage to the shed.
  • Design 2 has less loco storage but means I don't have to relocate the bikes to the shed. Cannot be longer because there is a door behind it.

Design 2 is similar to what is currently the case in the garage. The OO9 layout is on the floor in that position, once this layout is completed (its a modular layout for the club) we will likely store it elsewhere. 

Here are some badly drawn designs I did in MS Paint. Obviously not to scale but should give a visualisation of what I'm talking about.

3edbf26d03050a278661ead30c30a243.png

Sands Road now has a website! https://sands-road-modelrailway.weebly.com/

The website includes a History of the Layout, list of Stock that runs on the layout as well as more to come! its currently a work in progress and I will be adding to it over the coming days.

Added coal to the G2A's tender and the guard irons to the front of the loco. These don't get in the way of the sprung NEM pocket when going round 3rd radius curves but are a problem on 2nd radius. Luckily the only 2nd radius on my layout is on the branchline which this loco won't ever be running down. 

ba0c1c99ab7525a69c1b2cc53cea18de.jpg

7864fb8f8b06a96c9de84f8f0ae9c313.jpg

Work is also progressing on the country end of the layout. The first set of grass mats have gone down, they look a little untidy and messy but soon the joins will all be covered up and it will look much better. The joins will be hidden with bushes and trees like on the existing scenery on the layout. I have around 70 trees coming from China for this end of the layout. Ran out of grass mat so theres also another one on order so that I can finish the hillside above the tunnel. Theres only about 1ft worth of exposed plastercloth left at this stage, very soon the layout will be finished. 

84e32bae6ee9df32a5c19d2b330bb506.jpg

New Year Running Session is now up on YouTube. 

Locos Running:

Hattons SECR P Class

Bachmann G2A

Hornby S15

Hornby 8F

Hornby Britannia

Kitbuilt Thompson A2/1

Running with the Thompson Set and the SECR 4 Wheelers. Also running the demonstration freight train. 

First update for 2020! This is a big one, Sands Road is now fully grassed and ballasted round the entire layout. There is now no exposed wood or plastercloth on the layout, everything is covered now. 

Being a mostly square/rectangular area at the top of the hill meant I could do the grass mat in one big cut rather than having to do what I did round the curves by using multiple different sizes of grass mat. The grass mats are Gaugemaster Spring Grass. I use grass mats because I'm terrible at doing static grass and at the end of the day this fits in more with the look of the buildings I have made. It looks alright round the rest of the layout, this section needs touching up and finishing to hide all the joins. 

db17a11cddb21a82a19b5c1f13f9d0f8.jpg

25957318b5bb19f3813b54117f315d24.jpg

With some of the remaining ballast I've used it to make a pathway up the hill from the Narrow Gauge engine yard/terminus station. 

c3105d960e90a6536792da0bc37cfad8.jpg

Next step is to cover up the joins in the grass mats with hedges and trees. This will likely be some time away as the trees are being shipped from China.  After this Sands Road will be completed and I'll start work on the extension that I hinted at in an earlier post, I'll be going for the 1st of the two design options as it gives me more room to store trains over the 2nd design, the extension probably won't happen for a while as it will involve relocating stuff that is currently in the garage. 

Lichen hedges/bushes went down yesterday to cover up the joins in the grass mat and I'm currently waiting for them to dry. Hopefully the trees will arrive in the next week or so. 100 trees should be more than enough to make a good looking forest up this end and add some more trees to the village/castle end of the layout. I'll post some pictures soon when the glue is all dried. The layout is nearly finished, this will be the first time in 7 years that I've had a fully completed layout as I never managed to finish the last one before I had problems with the MDF. 

Posted (edited)

Work now is mostly focusing on the OO9 Narrow Gauge Layout whilst I wait for the Trees to arrive for Sands Road there hasn't been much progress. Sands Road is 95% complete and just needs the trees. Turns out I ordered 106 trees in total, I thought I ordered less. Oh well at least I will have plenty spare to use elsewhere if I ever need to. I might make a separate thread for the OO9 layout, its not connected to Sands Road and is meant to be part of a modular layout for Farnham Model Railway Club. Initially it was going to be connected to the OO9 line on Sands Road, but this never happened due to lack of space. The OO9 layout is just a simple through board with a siding. Got to finish it by Summer 2020 for its first outing at an exhibition. 

Edited by AlexHolt

Posted (edited)

Just had a slip through the post saying I need to pay customs charges on one of the parcels containing the trees for the layout. The customs charge is nearly 4 times as much as what I paid for them, £18 charge for £4 of trees. At least its only one of several packages and the others that arrived haven't been affected. Despite being under £15 and exempt from the custom fees I'm still being charged. I think I'll just leave it rather than pay the charge. Its cheaper just to buy more trees. 

This will have set back progress on the layout. But at the end of the day its only 12 of the trees. Hopefully the rest of them don't get stopped by customs. I've made a start on adding those that have arrived.

a98cb81db43587441d701ec3b7eecf3f.jpg

Edited by AlexHolt

The next pack of trees have arrived and have been installed on to the layout. Holes were made in the plastercloth and then filled with PVA to secure the trees in place. I think I prefer the first set of trees I used on this end of the layout, but at least the trees will all look different to eachother. Here are some pictures of the new trees I've added to the layout. 

4241287c71880a4f6df8a7218cd38313.jpg

e95092e25c83c1e417490fed5411eacc.jpg

All the trees on the country end of the layout so far. Now I'm just awaiting the final two packs of trees to do the top of the hillside. Once the hillside trees are added the layout will be finished. 

99157aa928e8ae7aa5bae3ebf70c0a79.jpg