Modelling a Thames Sailing Barge?

My mind recently wandered to modelling a dockyard scene with a traditional Thames Sailing Barge as part of the scene. I've never even thought about modelling a boat before, but I know that it's a whole different hobby in its own right.

I've found one or two images of plans online that look like scans from books, but there doesn't seem much online. Can anyone recommend a starting point for accessible plans, and especially guides to rigging etc?

I'd probably be looking at creating a 3D design of the hull, at least, in N gauge.

I have a book on the subject ("Modelling Thames Sailing Barges" by Freestone and Kent) but being out of print copies now are very exxy, unless you can find a library with it. 

I found this kit online but not sure what the story is with the website the Oz one seems ok but clicking on the flags to access other countries doesn't work, though maybe the kit can be found elsewhere if you want to go down that route..

http://www.traplet.com.au/oo-gauge-thames-sailing-barge

Edited by monkeysarefun

Many thanks all. The rigging diagram @MikeTrice posted looks particularly helpful. I'll try and remember to order up the book mentioned next time I'm a the British Library for work.

I also managed to find this diagram online, in what seems to be different scans from the same source, but with no hint of an attribution. Anyone recognise?

It looks ideal to start building up the shape of the hull though.

thamesbargeblueprints.jpg.c7d899c894de657ce4da4ee831208a33.jpg

I can recommend the book by E J Marsh "Spritsail barges of the Thames and Medway" David and Charles revised edition 1970  ISBN 0 7153 4681 4, which contains plans, rigging details and sections of three barges.  Also lots of sketches of details and other info.

• Thanks 1

A couple of plans come up when you Google Thames barges and go to images

https://www.google.com/search?q=thames+barge&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB833GB833&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi30MH2prrlAhU0QUEAHYinDTwQ_AUIEigB&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=E6rTfiMxxKYmQM:

If you are near Maldon there are a couple moored up there, parking free in the winter by the quay