Lord Phil and other J94s

thx712517

I'm interested in buying a Hornby J94, preferably Lord Phil since I fancy the green paint. Can't find many details about it though! 3-pole or 5-pole motor? How much does it weigh? Does it have a flywheel or no? Good at low speed shunting on DC power, or a rocket? Is it a noisy runner or quiet?

The only mentions I can find here are a few threads dealing with it once accidentally being advertised as DCC ready when it wasn't. That leads me to believe for all its new paint, this might be something old and crude underneath. 

It has a small Mabuchi motor (Hornby's 'type 7') on a multi stage gear train with a decent reduction ratio. The main weakness is that motor mount and gear train are captive in plastic mouldings tooled many years ago, and these are often not quite square and true as assembled; but easily adjusted if you get a noisy/graunchy/less than smooth running specimen. No flywheel. There's the possibility of installing more weight which is always a good idea for small locos, especially as it means you can put more spring pressure on the centre axle to maintain positive contact of 5 out of 6 wheels on the rails at all times.

They can be got to perform very well down to a smooth dead slow with good control gear; I have a Lenz decoder in mine, and a good DC feedback controller should extract much the same from a well adjusted mechanism.

• Informative/Useful 2

I can't comment on the latest releases but I have one from around 10-12 years ago and it is genuinely the best running loco I've ever had. Both in terms of slow speed and smoothness. It will absolutely crawl.

It does sound like a hammer drill at full whack though :lol:

The latest Hornby models have the wrong driving wheels as the centre driving wheel should have an offset balance weight. This was correct on the Dapol and earlier Hornby models of the same tooling. You have been warned.. 

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby 18" austerity just doesn't 'do' it for me.  It looks a bit off, especially around the front end. Sad to say that the DJM model got much nearer, being more 'spot-on' perspective wise.  'Tis a pity that the extra editions of the model didn't see the light of day, or a better mechanism. 

A greater pity is that people will insist of calling the locomotive a J94. I don't know why; latter day preservationists twisting history so that they can have a BR locomotive on the roster. Sadness indeed.

Ian. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

The Hornby 18" austerity just doesn't 'do' it for me.  It looks a bit off, especially around the front end. Sad to say that the DJM model got much nearer, being more 'spot-on' perspective wise.  'Tis a pity that the extra editions of the model didn't see the light of day, or a better mechanism. 

A greater pity is that people will insist of calling the locomotive a J94. I don't know why; latter day preservationists twisting history so that they can have a BR locomotive on the roster. Sadness indeed.

Ian. 

Yep. But it was first made in the early 1980s. It's over 35 years old and was probably the most detailed British RTR model at the time. Sprung buffers, different chimneys, separate handrails, etc.

And it was a J94 as the first edition was a J94 as I've got one. And Warrington as well, which was the one they measured at Dinting.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/268121/dapol_d8a_ln_wd_austerity_j94_0_6_0_in_br_black_68077_pre_owned_imperfect_box/stockdetail.aspx

We have a lot to thank David Boyle for.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. But it was first made in the early 1980s. It's over 35 years old and was probably the most detailed British RTR model at the time. Sprung buffers, different chimneys, separate handrails, etc.

And it was a J94 as the first edition was a J94 as I've got one. And Warrington as well, which was the one they measured at Dinting.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/268121/dapol_d8a_ln_wd_austerity_j94_0_6_0_in_br_black_68077_pre_owned_imperfect_box/stockdetail.aspx

We have a lot to thank David Boyle for.

Jason

Sorry Jason, but  I've always called them 18" austerities. When I was a spotty youth, I did indeed call one a J94, and I was soundly rebuked:-  "No it's not! It's an 18" austerity!" I've gone on to drive, fire & repair a lot of the real things, so it sort of sticks with you.  

I do agree that David Boyle did move the hobby along quite a lot.

I have one of the early ones. The detail was good for the day, apart from an odd font for the tank-side number. The performance was breathtaking. Slow control was better than many good current locomotives. Sadly, the performance of the DJ model was awful. In addition, the injectors were a weak point and the “authentic dished wheels” failed to capture the flat faces of the spokes. Looking at Hornby’s offering, I came to the conclusion that it would need to be retooled from scratch, even though I have a couple. A J94/18" Austerity (!) done to the standard of Hornby’s Pecketts would be very nice indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

...A greater pity is that people will insist of calling the locomotive a J94. I don't know why; latter day preservationists twisting history so that they can have a BR locomotive on the roster. Sadness indeed.

Easy to explain why for those of us modelling locations where the LNER and succeeding BR regions classed them as J94: it is the truth, no historical deviationism. (I get all bent out of shape by those identifying all Brush type 2s as TOPS class 31.)

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

... Looking at Hornby’s offering, I came to the conclusion that it would need to be retooled from scratch, even though I have a couple. A J94/18" Austerity (!) done to the standard of Hornby’s Pecketts would be very nice indeed.

Opportunity for anyone who can acquire the DJM body tooling and design a completely new current standard mechanism to fit? I was so going to have a DJM model until it became apparent it was split chassis and all geared axles: the Dapol/Hornby item works reliably; first consideration for someone who is primarily an operator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Dapol versions of the model going through 'bay on a regular basis.  I have 3 of the DJM ones, and they are all good, with good operations.  I did have a look at a Hornby Lord Phil (a few years back), but for some reason, it didn't quite strike me as something I wanted to buy. However, the DJM version caught me, and so far I haven't been disappointed. 

DJM  were to produce about another 12-odd livery versions, of which I was definitely in for 3, but it was not to be.  That said, if Hornby do indeed fill the gaps, I'd be interested this time around. But please, no daft or fictitious  liveries! There is nothing more off-putting than to see liveries like "Glasgow Salad N04" or some such thing....

Have a great weekend, folks!

Ian.