Llantwit Vadre - a retirement project

timbowilts

Not sure if this is in the right location but here goes.

We are shortly to move into our retirement bungalow in Swiss Valley, Felinfoel, Llanelli. SWMBO has agreed that I can have the ex-garage in which to house my project. This will be to create a representation of Llantwit Vadre on the line between Pontypridd and Llantrisant. I will be stretching reality a bit in running trains ranging from TVR steam through to first generation dmu’s.

Now to the point of this post, I have most of the books covering the Taff Vale Railway and the GWR in South Wales. What I cannot find in any of them is any photographs of the signal box at Llantwit Vadre, neither can I find any information on the dimensions of the station. Can anyone help?

Tim T
All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with your project, I will look forward to seeing it develop. Do you know how much space you have available? Old OS maps can be a good source of information especially the larger scale ones but no help with signal boxes.

Brian

• Like 1

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The Signalling Record Society should have details of the box, though not necessarily any photos.

Jonathan

Jonathan, I’ve already downloaded what they have. One surprising omission from the diagram is there are no distances from the signal box for the signals, something that I would have expected to see during my working life in S&TE.

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will have difficulty finding any photographs, because there possibly isn't any photographs. The block section was from Common Branch Junction, to Maesmawr, or Llantrisant Juction.  All of the boxes were swept away in about 1898, and went over to electric train staff. 

I used to live in Llantwit Fardre myself.  Beddau Halt was the divisional boundary between Newport division, and Cardiff valleys division in GWR days. There used to be a post for that approximately 20 yards south-west of Beddau. I'm planning out Gwern-Yr- Moel Isaf, which is Common Branch Junction.

Best wishes & happy modelling,

Ian. 

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

In his "Track Layouts & Diagrams of the Great Western Railway and B.R. Western Region, Section 49B, Ely Valley & Llantwit Area" Cooke suggests Llantwit Signal Box (the one at the Beddau/Llantrisant end of the station platform) was closed in 1894.

However, He also suggests that another 'box, serving new sidings into Bryn Colliery was opened in 1894.

This 'box is shown as being closed from 11th June, 1957, when the 'Mileage Siding' and 'Machine Siding' were both removed.

The existence, and location of both 'boxes is confirmed in the late Colin Chapman's "Llantrisant Branches of the Taff Vale Railway" pub Oakwood Press.

I must admit that  I too lived in Beddau for a very short while (1978-1979) but never went looking for the site of Llantwit station, but did pass Church Village station regularly, where the  station building was in commercial use, as was Cross Inn.

I've not seen any photographs of the 'box at Llantwit (Fardre) either.

Ian, you must be blessed with space if you intend modelling Common Branch Junction, especially if you intend to do so in its' heyday with locoshed, carriage shed and triangle.

Regards

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Felinfoel . . . . . . .  or, as the 'Jacks' referred to the local brew "Feelinfoul" - do they still brew "Double Dragon" ?

Whereas Evan Evans & Bevan "Vale of Neath Ales" was sarcastically referred to as "Vale of Death Ales".

Croeso i Gymru

• Funny 2

Don't know if you do 'Facebook' but there is a group called:-

"Llantrisant Yard Pontyclun Remembered" (of which I am a member)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446587738914558/

You may just strike lucky with a request to that group.

There is also a FB "Llantwit Fardre" group, which contains a few railway photos, but none showing the 'box, and which can be found at:-

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LlantwitfardreRCT/photos/?ref=page_internal

Good luck in your quest, and welcome to retirement.

Regards

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Brian but I don’t do facebook.

I occasionally partake of Double Dragon, it is definitely still available. The bungalow we hope to eventually purchase has a pub almost directly opposite, the Tafarn y Felin. Unfortunately it is a Marstons tied house so no Felinfoel brews.

Tim T

Back in 1997 I was working in Malta, I know it was hell but somebody had too............ So there I was driving around close to Valetta when in front of me was a Felinfoel Brewery lorry. He must have been lost!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2019 at 22:20, br2975 said:

In his "Track Layouts & Diagrams of the Great Western Railway and B.R. Western Region, Section 49B, Ely Valley & Llantwit Area" Cooke suggests Llantwit Signal Box (the one at the Beddau/Llantrisant end of the station platform) was closed in 1894.

However, He also suggests that another 'box, serving new sidings into Bryn Colliery was opened in 1894.

This 'box is shown as being closed from 11th June, 1957, when the 'Mileage Siding' and 'Machine Siding' were both removed.

The existence, and location of both 'boxes is confirmed in the late Colin Chapman's "Llantrisant Branches of the Taff Vale Railway" pub Oakwood Press.

I must admit that  I too lived in Beddau for a very short while (1978-1979) but never went looking for the site of Llantwit station, but did pass Church Village station regularly, where the  station building was in commercial use, as was Cross Inn.

I've not seen any photographs of the 'box at Llantwit (Fardre) either.

Ian, you must be blessed with space if you intend modelling Common Branch Junction, especially if you intend to do so in its' heyday with locoshed, carriage shed and triangle.

Regards

Brian R

i'm always a bit sad when I go over towards Common Branch Junction. I used to watch Class 3 diesels running round there, and drawing forward to Criegau quarry, and propelling back, via the bridge at Ceasars Arms, and Rhiwsaeson. 

Given the space constraints, I only ever intend to play homage to Common Branch: Knocking down the 2 houses either side of me would be classed as 'anti-social'. 

Bryn Colliery surface area still exists in some fashion today. The headcaps still remained in the 1970's and when the junior school was being built, they had to put in an enormous amount of pea shingle to cure a large subsidence dip, which opened up very near the foundations.  The adit remained open (although flooded) in my day (late 60's) and the ariel roadway spanned the A473 until 1968. 

I wish Tim every success in modelling Llantwit Fardre: it's buried deep into my memories. 

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...