Scratchbuilding resources

I've done a fair few airfix kits in my time, and hybrid plastic/brass/resin/whitemetal kits. I've rarely needed to venture much beyond assembling what is provided for me - and with some frustrating exceptions generally found the process rewarding and easy. That said, I would like to strike out into more distinct scratchbuilding territory - initially with wagon bodies out of styrene, and then maybe into designing etches and 3D printing.

Are there resources out there which guide one through this process? i.e. how to approach construction, sizing materials, translating works diagrams into meaningful measurements, etc. ?

I am fully aware that there are easier ways than building everything from scratch (I'm assuming that I'll source wheels, W-irons commercially, however)

Many thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lacathedrale,  you didn't mention what scale you intend to scratch build in. I only model in 7mm scale and don't have knowledge of other scales. Also what sort of tools do you have ? And are you in a position to attend model shows or local clubs ? 

Not very helpful but if you could provide a bit more information it would help to steer you where you wish to go.

Mike

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, airnimal said:

Lacathedrale,  you didn't mention what scale you intend to scratch build in. I only model in 7mm scale and don't have knowledge of other scales. Also what sort of tools do you have ? And are you in a position to attend model shows or local clubs ? 

Not very helpful but if you could provide a bit more information it would help to steer you where you wish to go.

Mike

I'm assuming 2mm going by his avatar ;)

I'm in awe of anyone who scratchbuilds, but in 2mm. Wow!

Thank you for the tips! :)

I think for 2mm I'd mostly be 3D printing! In this case I'm thinking of it purely as a process-driven exercise - probably in 5mm or 7mm/ft - because I want to try it with styrene, wire, maybe even balsa, etc. I don't have a large scale layout and may never have one, but I want to try scratchbuilding! :) 

Initially I'd like to build some early wagons - i.e. opens of RCH 1887, SER/LCDR/LBSCR 'house' designs. I feel like while this won't be easy, it will probably be the most accessible set of prototypes before moving onto complex designs like rectangular tank wagons or outside-framed vans. I'd be working on the assumption I'd use commercial castings as an intermediate step before 3D printing.

I would see a trajectory from this to building coaches, and maybe even locos (with the attendant learnings around designing etches in CAD).

I've ordered the Geoff Kent book - I guess what's going to be fairly important is to get some works drawings!

Edited by Lacathedrale

• RMweb Premium

I don't know which of the  Geoff Kent book you have ordered from the 4mm wagon series but the one I would recommend is the 4mm coal wagon.

This has a step by step guide on scratch building wagons with photographs and drawings and is probably the best book on the market. 

• Agree 2

For drawings of the kind of wagon you describe, there's a series of books - 'An illustrated history of Southern Wagons' by Oxford Publishing (May not be available now but certainly second hand). I think there are 4 and each dealt with some of the Southern's constituents, with the 4th I think focussing on the Southern Railway itself.

There's also the classic 'wagon page' that was penned by Kenneth Werrett and featured every month for many years in Model Railway News and then Railway Modeller. Perhaps somewhere someone has an index because there must have been hundreds. Peco can supply photocopies of any page from any issue of RM. Of course these are generally only 4mm or 7mm line drawings, not full works jobs, but good enough for a wagon I would say.

• RMweb Premium

My mistake. Sorry I have both books and they both fabulous model makers, sadly John Hayes is no longer with us. If you can get along to a exhibition where Geoff Kent is demonstrating you will be in for a treat. You will be able to see  scratch building at its best.

Edited by airnimal
  • Agree 1

Look at my thread,  my/our carriage scratch building thread.  Ive built wagons and vans as well, all in 4mm

Peter tatlows books have great drawings and nick campling has some great books too, with drawings.

P.s. i make my own bogies and "W" irons all with good results.

If you do some bits and bobs, post your creations there too.

Cheers

Scott