80's Scottish stabling point OO (4ft x 1ft)

Rockhopper

So this is my first post into the Layout Topics section, gan canny on me :D

Been a member of RMWeb for a long time but not posted a great deal in all fairness. (although this is my 2nd account as I lost the details of the first one and then the site was migrated). I remember going to an early member day at the engine shed at Chasewater in Cannock and seeing in the flesh how good some of the member layouts were back then. 

Anyway, to the layout.  I've had a couple of small layouts over the years but never progressed too far due to work, life, the usual and certainly never felt like they could be something that could be posted on here. So I'm been more of an armchair modeller for the past 20 years or so. 

This is one of those 'getting back into it properly' layouts. My main aim was to do something small and relatively cheap in order to get into a finished state and practise all of the new techniques and tools that have come about in the recent years. I know layouts are never finished, but I just need to get in a position where all of the electrics and done and working and 80% of scenics done. 

Size is 4x1ft scenic with a 2ft storage section using Tim Horn scenic boards. It's a stabling point somewhere in the west of Scotland in the 80s.  Initially I'm building up my stock based in the late 80s (86-88) but also eventually plan to build up some early 80s stock too. 

Control is DCC using a NCE Powercab.  Points are motorised with Peco motors together with the switch wired to the frog. Point motors are switches using toggle switches. I do plan to try out better point motors using DCC, but that will come at a later date. 

Track is Peco bullhead on the scenic and code 100 in the storage part. 

Initially buildings will be the ready to plant stuff but again, plan on kit/scratchbuilding when confidence grows. 

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 12

A couple of pics from my last layout in 2004 (ish). 

The (unfinished) layout was poor as I rushed track down in order to run and take pics of the stock. Obviously the electrics and running quality suffered due to this.  Lessons learnt for my current attempt!

For the locos it was my 1st serious attempt at detailing and weathering (plus renumbering on a few)

The layout was binned during a house move in 2005 and the stock sold to a friend. Although I wish I'd kept the stock. 

tmd_040404_014.jpg

tmd_040404_015.jpg

tmd_040404_043.jpg

• Like 3

Back scene all done and track cleaned. Quick testing session with 37422 :D

Next up, finishing off the storage section and then concentrate on the hardstand and ballasting. 

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 3

On 23/10/2019 at 20:14, Rockhopper said:

Back scene all done and track cleaned. Quick testing session with 37422 :D

(Queue dodgy iPhone photos in the garage!)

Next up, finishing off the storage section and then concentrate on the hardstand and ballasting. 

IMG_2514_Fotor.jpg

IMG_2517_Fotor.jpg

Looking good , i believe you may have purchased the 37 from me via ebay lol 

8 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Looking good , i believe you may have purchased the 37 from me via ebay lol 

Ah yes, both of them even (410 also?) :)

I wanted at least one weathered straight away on the layout while the rest I plan to make a mess of weather myself (it's been a while!)

Hello Rockhopper: I'm always interested to watch how small projects like this one develop and with this layout there's also the added interest of a Sottish location. 

Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of photos of Fort William depot taken in May 92. They may be of interest when you come to add the hard standing and there's plenty of inspiration if you want to add small details and "clutter" to the layout. 

Enjoy your return to railway modelling.

Alan

1726367021_1992-05-03D.JPG.a68369728c2a8d3f8eeafdb3e5672533.JPG

357227910_1992-05-03CFtWilliamDepotgeneralview.JPG.259fc6d076f1b2d0ac5dc818b798c817.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 60091 said:

Hello Rockhopper: I'm always interested to watch how small projects like this one develop and with this layout there's also the added interest of a Sottish location. 

Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of photos of Fort William depot taken in May 92. They may be of interest when you come to add the hard standing and there's plenty of inspiration if you want to add small details and "clutter" to the layout. 

Thanks for the pics. Fort William was actually my initial inspiration for the layout and spent some time on Flickr. I had wanted to model some of the building in the background but unfortunately the 1ft wide baseboard has restricted that somewhat, so it will be more of a generic depot scene. (I chose 1ft wide as initially I was going to model a Scottish station in N).

I have a few pics of FT myself from 95. The blue & grey portacabin caught my eye and I think I can still squeeze that in :D

fort williams 020895a.jpg

On 25/10/2019 at 17:17, Rockhopper said:

Ah yes, both of them even (410 also?) :)

I wanted at least one weathered straight away on the layout while the rest I plan to make a mess of weather myself (it's been a while!)

Yeah , 410 too , iv'e not attempted weathering before , tbh i haven't even started building my layout and the majority of my locos are in pieces at the moment as they are going to a friend for various etched parts fitting and repainting etc , think i may even let him do the weathering too lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...