Redcar-Consett iron ore tipplers

Pillar

Does anyone know where I might find clear, preferaby side-on photos of the PTA bogie tippler wagons used on the 1970s Redcar-Consett ore trains? I'm hoping to compare the livery and lettering with the forthcoming Accurascale models to see whether modification would be feasible.

So far I've only come across this site which has a lot of useful information but no clear images. Paul Bartlett's website doesn't seem to cover the Consett examples.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Liam

Edited by Pillar

The South Pelaw Junction website is mine and the photos on there are pretty much all that I've come across, clear photos seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo...

If you model the late 70s then, as per this photo from Ernie Brack, the livery appears to be overall rust with very little of the actual livery visible at all and is what I'm tempted to do when my Accurascale PTAs arrive...

South_Pelaw_An_ore_train_passes_the_rema

Edited by johndon

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember the end with the rotary coupling was painted orange round to the first body rib.  As there had to be a rotary coupling between each vehicle the train would be uniform in having orange ends coupled to body colour end throughout the train.  I think the bodywork was originally a dark grey colour 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Does anyone know where I might find clear, preferaby side-on photos of the PTA bogie tippler wagons used on the 1970s Redcar-Consett ore trains? I'm hoping to compare the livery and lettering with the forthcoming Accurascale models to see whether modification would be feasible.

So far I've only come across this site which has a lot of useful information but no clear images. Paul Bartlett's website doesn't seem to cover the Consett examples.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Liam

What were their number series.

I may not have my usual excuse of being too young, but I will admit I had no idea that Consett survived long enough to have air brake wagons working to it. But I only made one wagoning trip to the north east before that closure, and that was briefly passing through and seemed very closed to an outsider.

Paul

It would be good to have an accurate response, of course it is a PTA! I've photos of all of them, so it would be helpful to have confirmation it was the Scunthorpe ones which were also used on this short lived traffic.

Paul

4 hours ago, Pillar said:

So far I've only come across this site which has a lot of useful information but no clear images.

Many thanks,

Liam

This image seems pretty clear to me. I just clicked on the small one on the site (click on it on here to open a new page then again to enlarge a bit more).

Ore-Train-Contract-1975-002.jpg

Edited by Flood

3 hours ago, johndon said:

This site has the number series but I don't know exactly which series were used on the Consett trains: https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_003.php

I think it would be reasonable to guess that it was the Shildon built wagons numbered BSSC26000-26106

No; it was the batch BSTE 26450 to 26563 (British Steel Teesside). This, and possibly Hartlepool, were the only services in the North-East requiring rail to transport ore, as Redcar was fed by conveyor belt from the wharf.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

On the BR dimensions diagram PT002B it states that registration numbers 26542 to 26552 are owner numbers 2542 to 2552. On diagram PT002A my edition has been amended to show the registration numbers as 26450 to 26541. As the wagon in the photo states 2519 I reckon that this would be wagon 26519 on TOPS. This range is on Paul Bartlett's site as the Procor Yeoman tipplers.

(Wagon range already stated by the Fat Controller)

Edited by Flood

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

No; it was the batch BSTE 26450 to 26563 (British Steel Teesside). This, and possibly Hartlepool, were the only services in the North-East requiring rail to transport ore, as Redcar was fed by conveyor belt from the wharf.

Thanks for that, appreciated. 

John

4 hours ago, Flood said:

On the BR dimensions diagram PT002B it states that registration numbers 26542 to 26552 are owner numbers 2542 to 2552. On diagram PT002A my edition has been amended to show the registration numbers as 26450 to 26541. As the wagon in the photo states 2519 I reckon that this would be wagon 26519 on TOPS. This range is on Paul Bartlett's site as the Procor Yeoman tipplers.

(Wagon range already stated by the Fat Controller)

The Procor Yeoman usage is the second usage. Interesting to know what one of the earlier uses had been .https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/yeomantipplerpta

Paul