Info on China clay piers at Fowey

DavidMatthewson

I'm looking for any info on the China clay piers which were on the Fowey branch in Cornwall. I'm aware there are 'new' piers there which are still rail worked but I'm interested in data relating to what was there 1900-1960 or so.784098579_2019-10-1517_58_52-EPW021671ENGLAND(1928).JettiesonthewestbankoftheRiverFoweyoppositeM.png.de77507e743d9b5c990e2cd5f1b2b95f.png

This pic is from 1928.img407-hoods-await-unloading-at-carne-point-the-ship-is-patziel-from-wien-copyright-the-late-keith-lloyd_orig.jpg.e05f4586efd55b97ffb1909f9c5b95d7.jpg

Ideally I'm looking for drawings of the structures or any book etc which might have them as I'm looking to model them. The pic below is more modern I think, looking at the ship.

T5686728_orig.jpg.f768c454fc9ba96e56a506d20606f02e.jpg

All suggestions much appreciated - NB - the photos are not my (c) and are sourced from Google and are just for research purposes - no infringement intended.

Thanks

David

Track down the Janes-style colour album 'Coasters of Cornwall' by Bernard McCall. There's a lovely picture on the front cover of the china clay facilities at Fowey in 1967 complete with china clay wagons and Palvans. The theme continues for the first six or so pages including one showing two unfitted Shell BP tanks delivering bunkering oil to a coaster at the end of one of the piers. The rest of the superbly produced book is full of inspiration for Cornish-themed port layouts. A wonderful book!

Hywel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have somewhere the complete working instructions for the movement of wagons to & from the tips - basically all about the way the capstans were to be worked.  But no illustrations.

Therefore, please draw your own conclusions :) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, HGT1972 said:

Track down the Janes-style colour album 'Coasters of Cornwall' by Bernard McCall. There's a lovely picture on the front cover of the china clay facilities at Fowey in 1967 complete with china clay wagons and Palvans. The theme continues for the first six or so pages including one showing two unfitted Shell BP tanks delivering bunkering oil to a coaster at the end of one of the piers. The rest of the superbly produced book is full of inspiration for Cornish-themed port layouts. A wonderful book!

Hywel

Many thanks - I'll do that.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2019 at 07:59, DavidMatthewson said:

I'm looking for any info on the China clay piers which were on the Fowey branch in Cornwall. I'm aware there are 'new' piers there which are still rail worked but I'm interested in data relating to what was there 1900-1960 or so.784098579_2019-10-1517_58_52-EPW021671ENGLAND(1928).JettiesonthewestbankoftheRiverFoweyoppositeM.png.de77507e743d9b5c990e2cd5f1b2b95f.png

This pic is from 1928.img407-hoods-await-unloading-at-carne-point-the-ship-is-patziel-from-wien-copyright-the-late-keith-lloyd_orig.jpg.e05f4586efd55b97ffb1909f9c5b95d7.jpg

Ideally I'm looking for drawings of the structures or any book etc which might have them as I'm looking to model them. The pic below is more modern I think, looking at the ship.

T5686728_orig.jpg.f768c454fc9ba96e56a506d20606f02e.jpg

All suggestions much appreciated - NB - the photos are not my (c) and are sourced from Google and are just for research purposes - no infringement intended.

Thanks

David

In the second picture, it looks like the ship is about to do a wheelie ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To partially answer my own question, the Middleton Press 'Wenford Bridge to Fowey' book by Vic Mitchell &  Keith Smith has a number of good photos of the site, both the GWR period and the more modern installation. Pub 1998, ISBN 1 901706 09 5 I found a copy for less than £10 on E-bay.. Section 87-102.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2019 at 09:14, HGT1972 said:

Hywel

Thanks for the heads up on that, sounds very interesting so just blown 7 quid odd on a s/h copy. :good_mini:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Accurate detailed track layouts now available in recent reprints of Tony Cooke's GWR layout diagrams  -  Section 11, East Cornwall.   Much more accurate than OS maps as it includes dated changes to the layout.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?section=Track Plans

Thanks for the reference.

As I don't have a copy at hand, I'm wondering if the Cooke Track Layout Diagram for East Cornwall shows the piers and jetties the OP asked about?

• Like 1