Who is best to sell to?

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I am thinking of selling my "collection" ONLY because I like the idea of starting again and modelling something different and going from DC to DCC

A quick "poll", if you like, as there are so many dealers on the internet what experiences have any of you had good and bad (PM me if preferred) - I know I will get less than individual sales but I just want the ease of a one off transaction.

Edited by AY Mod
Only one question mark is needed, not twelve. Misspelt tag removed.

• RMweb Premium

How big is the collection?  If you really can't be bothered with individual sales why not try grouping items into small lots and see what ebay produces, preferably after getting prices from dealers first in order to set minimum ebay start prices (and remembering to factor in ebay & paypal fees etc.).

Hattons and Rails may be worth getting prices from - maybe send lists, descriptions, condition etc. will get guide prices from them

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Why Sell? it's almost always possible to find a way to convert DC locos to DCC..

Sorry more info needed - its not a loco issue I'm thinking of changing from steam to diesel and changing era 

• RMweb Premium

Ah... As for dealers I've never tried to sell to them, But, you'll be lucky if you receive 25% of the new value of any stock.  most second hand stock is sold by them at way lower than New, they have to pay 20% vat on sales, and they have to make a living... paying for premises, rates, rent, electricty, transport etc..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

they have to pay 20% vat on sales, and they have to make a living... paying for premises, rates, rent, electricty, transport etc..

[pedant mode]

they have to pay VAT on the difference between the buy and sale price on second hand sales

[/pedant mode]

How about speaking to @Trains4U ? Gareth has been a supporter of this site for many years. Failing that your nearest dealer. They will all offer generally the same sort of price as has been said they have to make a living on whatever they buy from you.

You are much more likely to get a better deal from a model shop if you are buying your new stock from them at the same time - trade in works best for all :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You could probably make more money by selling each item individually on 'Bay, but it's a lot of work, sucks time, and of course it's for you to decide if it's worth the work and time you put into it, so FWIW I think you have made the right decision about a one off sale.  There is more to life than squeezing the last penny out of it...

But your previous choice of models is a thing very personal to you, and selling as a job lot to an individual modeller is unlikely to be a good idea; he/she will almost certainly be taking on models they don't really want and will offer with that in mind.  A dealer with a good reputation is probably your best bet, and some actively seek out such models for resale.  You'll get about 25% of current market price or about half of what the model goes for on 'Bay 'Buy it Now' assuming the models are in good condition and run well.  Otherwise you'll be lucky if anyone takes them on.

If it were me, and it isn't, I'd be considering keeping the models in case you decide at some future date to build a steam era layout, but don't do it in the hope that the models will appreciate in value in real terms; they won't!

You get increasing sales resistance as price rises,  I have been selling surplus stock on eBay and have got £35 easily for a 1970s Hornby class 47,   I doubt a dealer would have offered £15.   but you aren't going to get much over £50 unless the loco is pristine and boxed.    Collections/ Job lots usually go for about 10-50% of the value of the individual items but you do get shot of the stuff and not get left with the dross.  If I was to approach a dealer it would be a local one so I could haggle face to face as once you have posted the stuff to them they have you over a barrel.

If you do sellon eBay take good photos, its amazing how people respond to a shot of your loco in action on the layout compared to one of it by its box

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Both Rails and Hattons will give you a rough price of what they'll offer if you email them a list of what you have including an outline of condition. They'll offer slightly more if you ask for a part-ex price rather than a cash buy price.

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

Recent experience of mine was that Hattons weren’t interested in anything unless it was boxed whereas Rails were interested and gave a good price based on the photographs and descriptions I shared with them. Your mileage may vary.

I made it easier for them by creating and sharing a gallery of the photographs I created on Google photos so they could see what I was offering. 

You might make more money on eBay but it’s the old story that if you want more money you’ve got to be willing to work more.

//Simon 

• Agree 1

There's nothing difficult about selling on eBay!

It takes a while to get set up if you've not used eBay before, but once you're up and running it takes no time at all to relist if the item doesn't sell first time, or list another item in the same format. You'll receive at least twice as much cash as selling to dealers and probably get enough to build your new layout and collection.

I've sold many items on eBay at well above the price I paid (I do keep boxes and look after stuff). The collector buyers are nearly all easy to deal with (unlike some other categories on eBay) and you'll start getting free listing and reduced final value fees once you're seen by eBay as a reliable seller.

Don't give stuff to a dealer and then watch him resell at several times the price he gave you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for all of this but I have decided to model a notional transition period of Steam to Diesel and will weather anything I don't use to dereliction levels and let various items adorn the layout - I may sell some items but not en-masse.

Time to concentrate on the layout changes - see my new thread started solely for this purpose if you are interested...…………(David?) 

I recently sold a decent-sized collection (eg, >120 locos) to Ellis Clark who was very responsive and courteous, and who came a long way to collect.

I’m shifting more to O, so I also wanted to support his collaboration with Darstaed. 

I certainly could have got a lot more cash if I’d sold everything individually myself rather than selling to a dealer. But I’m already time-poor, so this route made much more sense for me. 

Paul

• Like 1