Strange cattle wagon

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I've never seen anything like this before.

You should get out more! :P Certainly Midland - the earlier version of D298. The Midland sold some old rolling stock to various minor companies in the early years of the 20th century, either directly or through agents. There were certainly bogie carriages sold to the M&SWJR and 6-wheelers to the Brecon & Merthyr (or was it the Neath & Brecon?) - all of 1880s vintage. So I would imagine this vehicle has come to the Great Western by way of one of those companies.

Which would mean that the photo must be after 1922?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rushed to check up the skaters MR cattle wagon but that has five planks on the side and this one has six (I think) 

Makeing it the early version,  rats thought I would have something different, still I suppose I could get the craft knife out got until the weekends Taunton show to decide weather to add it to the shopping list with H&A

• Like 2

Don't think its a ex-midland one as the number of gaps in the side planks are wrong. Midland ones only had two gaps and the SDJR had 3 and there looks like 5 gaps to me. but that doesn't mean that the next owner didn't change the number of gaps between the planks.

It might be M&SWJR as they had vans similar but not identical to the midland ones. 

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

Don't think its a ex-midland one as the number of gaps in the side planks are wrong. Midland ones only had two gaps 

I think you are thinking of the ends not the sides.

Midland D298 Large Cattle Wagon built to Drg. 1037 between 1895 and 1903, at Derby, 26 November 1909:

958030797_DY9165DerbyCattleDocks17902CattleVan.jpg.d3c9ad813a34a333bb62c04aec99bf26.jpg

NRM DY 9165, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Midland D298 Large Cattle Wagon built to Drg. 2242 from 1905 onwards, same place and day:

1165585348_DY9164DerbyCattleDocks17890CattleVan.jpg.cec166a3ce8c1786367490adf938a745.jpg

NRM DY 9164, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Since No. 17902 is evidently on its first outing, presumably it's from Lot 715 or Lot 719.

I think it's evident that the Penryn vehicle is one of the earlier wagons to Drg. 1037, or possibly one dating from the 1880s to Drg. 101 which only differed in details. I have the impression the roof is flatter than in the two illustrations above, which might point to it being earlier. The Midland Railway Study Centre has posted Drg. 1008, which applies to a single lot of 1894; I believe this only differs from Drg. 1037 in details of running gear.

There's no limewash on the Penryn wagon, which suggests that the photo dates from after the practice of disinfecting cattle wagons with limewash was prohibited - 1926?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

We both might be wrong. Look at the diagonals and the angles they don't match. It could be a Medium van 16'6 or 16'3 on a 10' wheel base they were produced earlier and there for more likely to have been sold off to other companies as the large ones too over their duties.

Marc    

• RMweb Premium

@Furness Wagon, I believe you are right. On the large cattle wagons, the diagonals on the body side and door are pretty much parallel; on the medium, the bodyside diagonal is at a steeper angle than the door diagonal; I agree we see this in the Penryn vehicle. I'm also looking at the proportions of the open sections to the width of the doors; they doo look too short compared to D298. The 16'3" medium cattle wagons, D293, were built 1885-91, making them contemporary with the carriages that were being sold to the various minor lines. There was only one lot of the D294 16'6" medium wagons, in 1893.

Point to you!

The next question, now the van has been ID'ed, is how has it ended up in the ownership of the GWR? Which company were they sold to? and when were they sold? The B&M did have a collection of other companies wagons so it could be one of theirs. There is no numbers on the photo which might have given a clue.

Marc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Hang on a mo. Are we saying this was an ex-M&SWJR vehicle, whose design was an MR-based 'squashed-D298'?

It's a Midland Railway medium cattle wagon, built at Derby sometime in the date range 1885-93 that has seen service on the Midland and then been sold second-hand to a Great Western constituent, probably sometime around c. 1910, possibly the M&SWJR or B&M (or was it N&B?) - companies that were in the Midland orbit pre-Grouping and are known to have bought second hand Midland carriages of similar 1880s vintage.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

According to the essert Midland wagon book, this would be a Diagram 293 - 375 of which were built between 1885 and 1891.  These were 16' 3" long - or it could be a Diagram 294  of which 100 were built in 1893.  these were 16' 6" long.

Probably a Diagram 293.

Craig W

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to put a spanner in the works but I have just come across a source (HMRS Journal, 1983 page 159) which states that the BCR cattle wagons of this design were built by S J Claye. So the one under discussion here could be from the same builder and not ex Midland. Do we have access to S J Claye records?

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Sorry to put a spanner in the works but I have just come across a source (HMRS Journal, 1983 page 159) which states that the BCR cattle wagons of this design were built by S J Claye. So the one under discussion here could be from the same builder and not ex Midland. Do we have access to S J Claye records?

Jonathan

Nevertheless it's a Midland design, which makes it being a second-hand Midland vehicle the most straightforward explanation.

• Agree 1

Mike Barnsley records that MSWJR cattle trucks numbered 192-206 were built by the Midland....RC&WCo  in 1896 and were 18' 5" long (internal measurement). No doubt the MRC&W did rip off a suitable MR design. The GWR gave them numbers  16178-16196 (with a gap at 16183). They had metal under frames, and were given GWR OK oil boxes, so lasted into the mid-30s.  I might even have a photo or two somewhere...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Great Western Way, bottom of page 278, has a builder's photograph of M&SWJR cattle wagon No.203 in this style. Unfortunately, the builder isn't quoted.

Comparison with photographs in Midland Wagons Vol.2 shows a definite family resemblance to D298, while Plate 250 shows the 1875 wagons built by the Gloucester Wagon Co, who may have retained the design for other customers.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
Running Number added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1