Are Soundtraxx decoders still available and are they any good?

Tallpaul69

Having fell over an article in issue 120 (June2017) edition of Hornby Magazine on the Soundtraxx Econami decoders, and a search on RMWeb not producing any recent information I thought I would ask the question?

I understand that these are 4 or 6 function decoders and have around 6 sound files on them. The review suggested that you could adjust the program of sounds so that for instance the carriage door closing sound could play several times rather than just once on using the relevant function key?

So I was thinking that these could be a different slant on sound for one or two of my steamers?

I understand there is also a Diesel version but if so what sound files does this have?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

Paul

I've a couple of the steam ones, and have been very happy with them.

They're somewhat generic and you have to choose between several different chuffs/whistles, and depending on the class loco you're installing in they might not be "perfect", however, for me they added exactly what I wanted at a decent price.

I'm sure they're still available, at least in the US the two places I regularly buy stuff from still show them in stock. Can't recall where I got the first one, was a UK dealer at a show in November two years ago, they'd just come out and he was demonstrating them and selling quite well also.

Can't add much more right now as my layout is stacked in the corner of the basement as a result of a recent house move.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Theres stock here:

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=econami+882102

Sounds are not bad but, as said above, generic. Only you can decide if a sound decoder with a specific loco sound to match your model is worth the extra.

As for running characteristics, well, it's a Soundtraxx and all that that implies.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 21:28, pauliebanger said:

Theres stock here:

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=econami+882102

Sounds are not bad but, as said above, generic. Only you can decide if a sound decoder with a specific loco sound to match your model is worth the extra.

As for running characteristics, well, it's a Soundtraxx and all that that implies.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Please tell this lesser mortal, who is on this thread seeking information because he has no experience of Soundtraxx, what  "As for running characteristics, well, it's a Soundtraxx and all that that implies", means!!

Many thanks

Paul 

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got six locos with US soundtraxx decoders and three ran well straight out of the box. The other three needed a little tweaking of start voltage and speed curves to get smooth running from a standstill, as opposed to leaping away. I’ve had another couple in the past that just needed acceleration and deceleration adding to smooth out the steps in speed too. So yes they are decent but can benefit from a little fine tuning in the cv’s that would frustrate someone without knowledge of what to change, a SPROG made sorting the speed curve simple unlike trying to do it with a command station and individual cv’s. Compared to my ESU and Zimo decoders which only required playing with parameters to match sounds they can be a little more work to set up on certain locos but that’s what I consider the extra price pays for. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Soundtraxx are sold by the following to name a few and no doubt others:

Gaugemaster (full price though)

Coastal DCC

Digitrains

Sunningwell DCC

EDM

For USA sounds they are my 'go to' decoder but for UK outline as others have said they have a set sound file selection as they come preloaded (although quite a lot of options for prime mover horns etc) and you cant change the sound files stored on them unlike ESU and Zimo. However if you can check the sounds out first then they may well suit what you require.

https://soundtraxx.com/products/ecouk-decoders

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Paul,

Some believe Soundtraxx decoders have very good motor control, others disagree.

The implication is that users have mixed experiences or expectations, that's all I meant.

Best regards,

Paul

OK Paul,

What is your own experience of them?

Cheers

Paul