Gorilla Superglue

• RMweb Gold

My local discount store sells many different superglues starting at a £1 but I noticed today he had started stocking the Gorilla glue product range. They do a gel version of the superglue and wondered if it's worth the extra three or four sheets for it.

Any experience of using it.

If it's the one with the green bottle top then, yes and also the brush version with the yellow cap. The green one has become my main goto for a general purpose SG and is a thick gel, only needs a spot and very effective.  If you buy this, give the bottle a good shake  to ensure it's mixed before use. The yellow one with a brush is a bit thinner and easier to use on seams etc.  Worth the extra dosh? probably. I like them.

Steve W

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the white bottle with the yellow cap "brush and nozzle" and it does what it says, you can brush it on or use the nozzle. It's quite gloopy but I really like it and like the control you get with brush application. Worth it to me.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

I`ve been using Gorilla Glue exclusively for both rolling stock and model buildings for the past 8 years, particularly these two products......

DSC04529.JPG.b536ef561ab3a338315362ba5d58bf93.JPG

The Gel has `rubber type molecules` and copes with flexing..... I have used it for assembling resin O Gauge building kits... but it is quick grab and fast acting so you will need to `rehearse` the positioning of parts to be joined as there is little wriggle room.  Very strong bond though.

The Superglue  has a strong bond, does give some wriggle room and is a very reliable product.  It has a medium viscosity so is neither thick or thin. I`ve used it for gluing chimneys and domes etc on loco kit builds.

They are both relatively expensive and you don`t get much in the bottle.... but ya pays ya money etc......

I think they are really good and use them in modelling situations where i might previously have used an old fashioned two part resin combo....

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Les Bird said:

I have been using the yellow capped version with the brush but I've found it has a limited shelf life and goes very thick. I won't be buying it again.

You're evidently not building fast enough, that roundtuit pile won't shrink of it's own accord!!!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I must say I like the idea of the brush. I never seem to get on very well with super glue, and I think the problem is I panic:panic that the glue won't go in the right place, I won't get the parts in the right place, or in trying to rectify one or both of the above I'll end up with fingers stuck together. Using a brush does seem a more controlled way of applying the stuff 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, rab said:

I must say I like the idea of the brush. I never seem to get on very well with super glue, and I think the problem is I panic:panic that the glue won't go in the right place, I won't get the parts in the right place, or in trying to rectify one or both of the above I'll end up with fingers stuck together. Using a brush does seem a more controlled way of applying the stuff 

I use a length of 0.5mm wire in an old pin vice to apply superglue, small controllable amount on the wire and it can bent to get into awkward situations.

or

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/C.A.-Applicator.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9L_tBRBXEiwAOWVVCaOjc3i5x0jPLVDINySucTRAQbTwmbQW-vMHWEZTeqfsFySkA9-9hRoC2RMQAvD_BwE

or

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/mr-glue-applicator-mr-hobby-gt-57?gclid=CjwKCAjw9L_tBRBXEiwAOWVVCQI5Pa1y9gQxM_pBmITwAGi7D0wINjVD2gwL0C-7V_9IXoMdno5KUBoC4ewQAvD_BwE

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

After years of buying different makes of superglue I first tried Gorilla a couple of years ago, won't use anything else now, super stuff. I use normal and gel, for application I use a cocktail stick with point sharpened for the situation in hand, ie more pointy for smaller drops etc. Just resharpen when necessary.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have also tried many types including blue top Gorilla but none have had great self life or really been good enough consistently to recommend until I discovered Powerbond glue. This has been in used well for many purposes (including fixing the the get on the rubbish bin) and has l lived for 2.5 years in the fridge, with a plastic film between screw cap and bottle as recommended by the vendor. Top glue in my option and exceedingly strong. Applied with a cocktail stick or directly from the bottle, depending on the task in hand.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have no great faith in any cyano.  Sometimes there is no alternative but if at all possible I use an epoxy resin adhesive - yes it takes longer and can be a bit messy but I've found it to be much more reliable.

DT

• RMweb Gold

I usually have 2 superglues on the go at once, good quality for sticking stuff to other stuff and pound shop for sticking stuff to other stuff that I might want to unstick it from later.  A bit of persuasion snaps the stuff apart and the surfaces can be cleaned and stuck back together at will.  Gorilla is excellent good quality for sticking stuff to other stuff that you don’t want to unstick it from later, and I can recommend sticking with it...

I have for the past 5-6 years been using Hafix industrial superglue. It is very good but twice the price of Gorilla. It has one very useful trait In that if you put it in the fridge for a about 10 minutes it slows the grab time down by upto 2 minutes. Making it easier to position what you are gluing. I was wondering if Gorilla does the same thing. If so I might give it a go as it is much cheaper.