Canadian Pacific paint

darren chpamn

1 hour ago, pmackinnon2004 said:

Model Junction do a 10 jar set covering CP and CN colours. It's £21.00 for the set and they are Acrylic and made by Badger. I have sprayed them in the past with no problems.

Peter

Yes I saw that but it seem a expensive way to buy for a pot of red paint 

You could always mix your own, doesn't need to be an exact match. The loco would only be the named colour on the day it leaves the paint shop. Dirt and weather would soon take its toll on the colour and finish. Reasonably sure that if you saw a few locos together there would be differences in colour.

Peter

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, darren chpamn said:

Hi  I'm looking to respray  a few n scale locos into cpr, does anyone know what the best matched paint in the uk is  as dont really want to have buy paint from the states

Regards daz

Can't help, but in case anyone can you are going to need to be a little more specific as to which CP paint scheme you want - Pacman (action red), the current scheme (candy apple red), Block/Script (Tuscan Red).

Daz, as asked. Which colour are you specifically looking for? 

Action red is a nightmare to find apart from the pack, the only colours readily available in the UK is Soo red. (precursor to the current candy apple red) Humbrol 1321, and tuscan. which is Model Masters 28112. 

This chart is quite useful for modelling North American: http://www.microscale.com/ResourceCntr_Floquil.html 

Maybe a long shot, but another possibility is to look at who makes the paint you want and try emailing them to see if anyone in the UK (or maybe Europe) sells their products.

For example Rapido make paint so it may be worth contacting them on the outside chance that they have a reseller in the UK

https://rapidotrains.com/products/accessories/protopaint/rapido-protopaint

17 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Maybe a long shot, but another possibility is to look at who makes the paint you want and try emailing them to see if anyone in the UK (or maybe Europe) sells their products.

For example Rapido make paint so it may be worth contacting them on the outside chance that they have a reseller in the UK

https://rapidotrains.com/products/accessories/protopaint/rapido-protopaint

Rapido use Rails of Sheffield but their paints are not available outside of Canada or the US. All these new regulations around posting paints make it a royal pain in the arse to ship. Model Junction get their paint (and testers dullcote) shipped by sea courier. Partly why it is so expensive. 

13 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Daz, as asked. Which colour are you specifically looking for? 

Action red is a nightmare to find apart from the pack, the only colours readily available in the UK is Soo red. (precursor to the current candy apple red) Humbrol 1321, and tuscan. which is Model Masters 28112. 

This chart is quite useful for modelling North American: http://www.microscale.com/ResourceCntr_Floquil.html 

I looking at Pacman (action red) livery 

Regars daz

• RMweb Gold

The hexcode for this is B71319.

That may help you in your search.

Some possibilities here:

https://encycolorpedia.com/b71319

E.g. Humbrol 153 “insignia red” as a starting point, adding a touch of something to change it slightly. And don’t forget that atmospheric haze would alter your perception of the colour, as would sunlight, cloud cover, etc. Ferrari red from a rattle can might be all you need...!

Edited by Regularity
Link to encycolorpedia added.

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

The hexcode for this is B71319.

That may help you in your search.

Some possibilities here:

https://encycolorpedia.com/b71319

E.g. Humbrol 153 “insignia red” as a starting point, adding a touch of something to change it slightly. And don’t forget that atmospheric haze would alter your perception of the colour, as would sunlight, cloud cover, etc. Ferrari red from a rattle can might be all you need...!

Simon, the colour you quoted is close to SOO red, but not the 70s Action red.

Action red is notoriously fugitive as a colour. No 2 batches seemed to be the same. Different batches also faded at different rates. Some to an almost pumpkin orange, and others to a nasty pinkish. The hexcode that the CN Lines SIG and the Trainz developers use is #DD371F which is quite a bit more "orangey" than the more stable SOO red that replaced it in 86. (#CE0010) SOO red was replaced by the more "candy apple" red in 2007. (#C2002F)

Just look for a car the same colour, then go to Halfords. 

Note to self- try doing this when walking, I'd decided on WCRC red when in my own car, but changed my mind later whilst driving the Wife's before realising both were wrong and each had different colour window tints.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Simon, the colour you quoted is close to SOO red, but not the 70s Action red.

Action red is notoriously fugitive as a colour. No 2 batches seemed to be the same. Different batches also faded at different rates. Some to an almost pumpkin orange, and others to a nasty pinkish. The hexcode that the CN Lines SIG and the Trainz developers use is #DD371F which is quite a bit more "orangey" than the more stable SOO red that replaced it in 86. (#CE0010) SOO red was replaced by the more "candy apple" red in 2007. (#C2002F)

Ah, the perils of an undated reference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 298 said:

Just look for a car the same colour, then go to Halfords. 

Note to self- try doing this when walking, I'd decided on WCRC red when in my own car, but changed my mind later whilst driving the Wife's before realising both were wrong and each had different colour window tints.

VW Mars red has been recommended to me though after I'd used Tamiya gloss red on my CP Rail fleet.

CP5794 & 4222 Switching at Wheelock Mill

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Action red is notoriously fugitive as a colour. No 2 batches seemed to be the same. Different batches also faded at different rates.

As an example:

post-1771-0-68906900-1330669374.jpg.49e5ffbc342a5542351a49569cb1d1b0.jpg

New paint and faded paint at New Westminster late1980s/early 1990s.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

All this talk of red is very useful as I'm just painting  1/29th scale RS3 into multimark and action red.  As was said earlier and has been said previously, Action Red faded very badly and in many cases looks orange or pink.

There are now three CP reds (plus tuscan if you count the maroon shade as red): 

Action Red, 16 July 68 - around 1998 (including all marking variants from Multimark 'Packman' until 1987, the plain old CPRail throughout the action red period, 1991 CP Rail System (with all the arguments about defacing the flags - probably the US flag as the maple leaf was still only 27 years old, which is funny because Americans will put their flag on anything, including their bodies so it must just be that a Canadian did it!) and few other specials.

Candy Apple Red was the Soo and the St Lawrence and Hudson colour  (later Soo, the all over colour not the 60's one end colour with white) but again varied with supply dates and areas.  I can't find a definite date that this started to be applied, but almost all the GE AC4400 and variants (except the GEXC blue ones) seem to have arrived in it.  This was used in the 'golden beaver' livery, which was soon dropped as it was a very expensive decal (almost as much as gold!).  The type-face for Canadian Pacific changed at the same time as Candy Apple Red came in and can be seen in gold, shaded gold, yellow and white.

Most recently (2015 onwards) the newly outshopped refurbs (excluding the specials on SD70M refurbs of the SD90MACs) have been in the newest red, which I suspect is very similar to what Action Red looked like at first.  It is 'redder' than Action Red looks in publicity photos, but we all know the variations in colour rendering of slide film.  The type-face is the same as CAR and the lettering is now white.

I have a few friends that work for CPRail, I'll see if I can get the colour codes for the new colour.

It should be noted there are still SD40-2 ad SD60s running in Action Red that have clearly never been painted.  That makes the job of matching very difficult after near 40 years.  CPR does not seem to like washing their fleet and even those in areas with carriage washers don't get clean if they are hood units, consequently after the sun fades them, the dirt darkens them... and in the GEs, the flames blacken and strip any paint.

If we add size colour scaling to the equation, a bit of primer variation (over red oxide or grey), and personal colour vision variation, it could be any red we like!

Good luck, lol 

Edited by daveyb
spell and grammar
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have made good use of Games Workshop to get paints, even to taking in a photo of a CN RDC and saying I want that yellow and green, which they then kindly found for me.  Handy possibly if you have a photo of a specific unit.