Sector Plate Setting Up & operation.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I'm wondering if the Sector Plate the builder has built for Elbow Lane might help.

I have seen some pictures at :

Dave

Dave

I had a read through of that thread last evening and didn't notice anything special about the sector plate. Did I miss something?

However, I did have one passing thought which I need to investigate further. I could shorten the siding in front of the sector plate so that the whole of the fiddle yard board is available to the sector plate. It would solve one or two problems relating to the "hiding" the entry to the sector plate from general view but I don't really want to lose the wagon capacity of that siding.

I've also wondered whether some kind of chain drive would work. A vertical wheel on both front and back edge frames of the board with slots in those baseboard frames for part of the wheels (and chain) to pass through. The opposite ends of the chain would be connected to either side of a bracket affixed to the underside of the sector plate, with said bracket able to pass through a slot in the baseboard upon which the sector plate "glides". The chain would leave the sector plate bracket horizontally in the direction of one side of the baseboard. It would pass over and around the wheel on that side of the board before returning across the full width of the baseboard where it would pass around the second wheel and return to the sector plate bracket. Not sure my DIY skills are up to that though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Dave

I had a read through of that thread last evening and didn't notice anything special about the sector plate. Did I miss something?

However, I did have one passing thought which I need to investigate further. I could shorten the siding in front of the sector plate so that the whole of the fiddle yard board is available to the sector plate. It would solve one or two problems relating to the "hiding" the entry to the sector plate from general view but I don't really want to lose the wagon capacity of that siding.

I've also wondered whether some kind of chain drive would work. A vertical wheel on both front and back edge frames of the board with slots in those baseboard frames for part of the wheels (and chain) to pass through. The opposite ends of the chain would be connected to either side of a bracket affixed to the underside of the sector plate, with said bracket able to pass through a slot in the baseboard upon which the sector plate "glides". The chain would leave the sector plate bracket horizontally in the direction of one side of the baseboard. It would pass over and around the wheel on that side of the board before returning across the full width of the baseboard where it would pass around the second wheel and return to the sector plate bracket. Not sure my DIY skills are up to that though!

Well at least it gave you one idea. :-))))

It may not be very clear but the end of the sector plate extends under the fixed entry point to keep the plate from rising.

Good luck.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Well at least it gave you one idea. :-))))

It may not be very clear but the end of the sector plate extends under the fixed entry point to keep the plate from rising.

Good luck.

Dave.

Yes, that bit I noticed reference to. Thanks. Luckily the birch ply on mine isn't currently showing signs of distortion so I hope that I won't need to do something similar to that idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Campaman said:

Cut a slot in the baseboard under the sector plate and fix an operating rod to the bottom of the plate that will let you then operate it from the front.

As mentioned above, said operating rod would protrude around 6 inches which has user safety implications.