S15's with 6 wheel tenders

Jack P

Hi guys, 

I am just wanting to check, the tenders that the central section S15's were fitted with, were these the same as the central section N15's, or were they a different diagram?

LCGB: The S15 Commemorative Rail Tour 16/1/66 Most of the workload on this tour was in the hands of Maunsell S15 class 4-6-0 no. 30837 which is depicted here in third rail territory during a day that  was beset with snowy conditions. Note that 30837 was a revival as it had been officially withdrawn from service in the previous September.

TIA

Ah well, another hornets' nest ! ....... SOME 'Arthurs' and SOME 'Nelsons' ran with 4000 gallon tenders in 'early' years and these were rebuilt to run with the first batch of 'Schools' : the MAJORITY of the six-wheelers behind 'Arthurs' were, though, 3500 gallon type which evolved from the 'N' type. The 'S15's you refer to had a 4000 gallon type. Easiest way to identify the two sizes - as there were a number of variants within each - is to look at the frames : the 3500 type have ovoid cutouts between the axleboxes and the 4000 type don't. ( Just to confuse matters a) one 'S15' ended its days with a former 'King Arthur' six-wheeler and b) 'U' class 31806 on the Swanage Railway appears to have a 3500 gallon tank on the frames from a 4000 gallon tender - never believe what you see in preservation ! )

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

According to "Maunsell Locomotives" by Brian Haresnape, 833-837 were given 4000 gallon tenders from N15s 763-767 in 1936 for service on the Central Section. In the early 1960s 30833 then subsequently received the tender from Schools class 30908. 

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at Peter Swift's Book on the H15/S15's some useful stuff there also David Maidment's Urie and Maunsell 2-Cylinder 4-6-0s by Pen and Sword Books. 

I do recall that by 1963 or so there were many displaced 6 wheel tenders (U1s, Schools, N15s) that many Maunsell (and a few late surviving Urie versions, 30499, for example) had their 8 wheeled tenders exchanged as, I suspect, many of them required heavy repairs. 

Kind regards,

Richard B

I appreciate everyone's responses so far - I think my confusion stems from the fact that in photos some of the Tenders behind S15's look like the straight sided 3500gal bodies, on 4000gal frames. 

If I've interpreted correctly, they actually all had slope sided (4000gal) tenders, when they were allocated them to run on the central section. EXCEPT for  "833-837 [which] were given 4000 gallon tenders from N15s 763-767" - which would've been straight sided? 

Or am I more confused than before? I suppose if it makes the question easier, do I want a Hornby Schools Tender or a Hornby N15 (6 wheel) tender, to go behind a 6 wheel S15?

:crazy_mini:

Edited by Jack P

Nope ! ...... All six-wheelers behind 'S15's were flat sided apart from that which came from 'Schools' 30908 ............. I think the flat sided bodies of these ( and the 'N1'' ) confused Mr Bradley' into calling them "Ashford type" but they originated from Eastleigh. ( Similar tender bodies appeared on several other railways about that time.)

• 4 weeks later...

30837 also had a Schools tender from Spring 1962.   There are hundreds of photos of it because it worked the "Farewell S15s" railtours. 

I thought the tenders that went from Schools to S15s came from 30912 and 30921 because they got tenders from withdrawn Lord Nelsons.  All part of the Hornets nest mentioned above.