B&ER Wagon Livery?

• RMweb Premium

Do any of the wise and learned members of this forum know what the B&ER wagon livery was?  Nothing I've read so far gives so much as a hint of it and the old monochrome photos I've seen of B&ER wagons give no clue at all. 

Great Western Way says:

One photograph is known which illustrates the painting of freight vehicles. Although it shews only open wagons there is no reason to suppose that the pattern was not universal. The bodies and underframes appear to be grey and on the bottom plank at the left hand end of the body side are the letters "B & E" followed by the serial number in large characters with serifs which fill the depth of the plank, The Tare is in a corresponding position at the opposite end in figures only, e.g. "5.2". The letters and numbers are white, shaded black to the right and below, while just above the Tare the words "To carry x tons" appear in a very small italic script.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Sorry to add confusion, but I have no idea what the correct answer is either.

That's Ok Ian.  I think I'll go with what is written in 'Great Western Way' and take it as being holy writ.

Nobody else seems to know and that looks to be about the only source of documentation that there is.

• Like 1

The Awdry BG book gives a fair bit of attention to liveries (as far as possible), but has no more to say than "B&E wagon livery appears to be grey". He doesn't say but I suspect it's based on the same photo Miss Prism mentions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1