UV (ultra-violet) Curing Glue

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else tried this? It is a thick gel, similar to thick superglue, but it only hardens when subjected to UV light. The glue comes with a small UV light and battery (similar to a key-fob torch) which hardens the glue in about 4 seconds. When hard, it can be drilled, sawn or filed like any good filler. No more sticking fingers together.

The only drawback I have found so far is that it must be possible for the UV light to reach the glue to harden it. It is no good for a large butt joint where most of the glue is hidden away between the two parts being joined.

I purchased some of the 'proper' stuff from Bondic in the States, but it ended up being very expensive, especially when customs duty and collection fees were added on top, but I see that much cheaper versions are available from motor factors and eBay now.

Hi Ian,

I've used UV glue from UK suppliers mainly for experiments with making split axle pickups.

I've tried using various heat shrink tubing to join the axles of OO wheelsets I've cut in half.

I tried applying UV glue to the first layer of heat shrink tubing, sliding clear heat shrink over the axle/heat shrink combo, shrinking on the clear tubing and then applying the UV light from the glue dispenser's LED.

The UV glue seems to work well for this application providing bonding and extra rigidity - time will tell.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Well, I mended my sun glasses with it, the bit that goes round the lens, so is under some tension, and they are doing well. It would have been cheaper to buy new sunglasses though.

The only other place I have used it so far is to assemble some small etched brass platform benches that superglue failed hold. I hope the shelf life is as good as they say as I will probably make use of it more in the future.

On 24/10/2019 at 16:52, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The dental grade version used for fillings is the stuff we want. If it will stand up to the 1000 psi our repaired teeth can locally exert, in a permanently warm and wet environment full of potent enzymes, it will do the job. But it is expensive and needs a rather more potent UV source than a battery powered LED...

Take it from me, a bright light does the job just as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Is it a matter of the convenience of much more rapid curing that leads to use of UV in the dental application?

It's not UV.  It's just a very bright blue light.  I changed my overhead light a couple of years ago and it's evidently much brighter because it's capable of curing materials on its own, which at times is quite annoying.   You usually want a little time to work the filling to the correct shape or make sure what you're gluing in is in the right place.  Too bright a light and you lose this.  One of the glues we use sets within 3 seconds of exposure to the blue light.  Some filling materials take 40  seconds

The blue lights we use used to be a mains powered halogen bulb.  These days it's rechargeable LEDs.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There is a note in the instructions (when I can find them) that it's not really a glue. If you want to join parts you may need to make extra holes that it can fill (just like the dentist).

It does hold if there is not too much strain on it.

The best bit is that it doesn't set until you shine the light on it -- lots of time to get things aligned --- but you may need a third hand.

• Informative/Useful 1