Grounded Vans

• 2 months later...

post-730-0-30525200-1455894025_thumb.jpg

In the upper reaches of the Dyfi valley.

The embankment beyond the wagon once carried the Mawddwy Railway that ran from the Cambrian's Cemmes Road station to Dinas Mawddwy.  Mallwyd "station" (in reality the tiniest of halts) was about 200 yards to the left.

The picture was taken on a dismal day in 2008 when I was on what was intended to be a moderate circular walk of about 7 miles from Dinas Mawddwy to Aberangell, then up into the hills via the trackbed of the former Hendre-Ddu Tramway and the paths of the Dyfi forest to the Minllyn quarry before descending to Dinas Mawddwy.

Unfortunately the rain got heavier and heavier and my OS map began to disintegrate, reducing it to last-resort, emergency use only.  Then, in the depths of the forest, I was misled by a bit of poor waymarking that turned the moderate 7-miler into a severe 10-miler for which I was ill-equipped, particularly bearing in mind the by-then extremely poor and still deteriorating conditions. 

The worst bit was a one-and-a-half mile traverse of the steeper-than-forty-five-degree sides of the glaciated valley of Nant Maesglase.  I was enveloped in heavy cloud and torrential rain and wearing a pair of Dr Martens with well-worn soles - not that a pair of DM's would have been any good for those circumstances even if the soles had been in perfect condition!

The experience did have a happy ending, however, as my route returned me to Dinas Mawddwy less than 100 yards from the village's lovely pub - although what the landlady made of the bedraggled, wild-eyed "thing" that staggered through her door and slumped across the bar I wouldn't like to guess!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Two photos from Rauceby several years ago. Any views on their origins (or their fate) woule be welcome.

attachicon.gif9211-11 Rauceby Van 1-2.jpg

attachicon.gif9211-12 Rauceby Van 2.jpg

I have never seen anything like 9211-12 Rauceby Van 2.jpg - the continuous joint around the body suggests that the upper part of the van might have been removeable to convert it into an open wagon.

Added to which, the perforated metal ventilation suggests, perhaps, fish traffic.

Fascinating !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have never seen anything like 9211-12 Rauceby Van 2.jpg - the continuous joint around the body suggests that the upper part of the van might have been removeable to convert it into an open wagon.

Added to which, the perforated metal ventilation suggests, perhaps, fish traffic.

In which case I wonder if it was a rebuild of an earlier open fish wagon?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread but for many years there has been a van in a field

visible from the train near Dunball just north of Bridgwater, I have never photographed it.

Yesterday I remembered to look out for it and it has now been reduced to a skeleton

with only the corrugated ends and metal framework remaining,

cheers

• 2 months later...

Now here is a right puzzler - looks like a motor car carriage of some sort?  Needs some expert i.d.

In a quiet Norfolk yard, housed a standby generator:

post-17823-0-44139000-1466776748_thumb.jpg

post-17823-0-64667300-1466776938_thumb.jpg

post-17823-0-99025000-1466776749_thumb.jpg

post-17823-0-83986100-1466776747_thumb.jpg

post-17823-0-26243500-1466776749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

Yes, I know little, but thought LNWR CCT as soon as I saw it http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=601

One of these was painted-up for a then famous motor car dealer, and inspired numerous 0 and 1 gauge tinplate models, but that was a four-wheeler, whereas this looks like the six wheeler.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• 3 weeks later...

Two photos from Rauceby several years ago. Any views on their origins (or their fate) woule be welcome.

attachicon.gif9211-11 Rauceby Van 1-2.jpg

attachicon.gif9211-12 Rauceby Van 2.jpg

I was told its a GER convertable fish van/open?  There used to be an identical one on the back roads between Whitlsea and March up until the 1990s.

A/box

Just outside Holme-on-Spalding Moor there is a farm that, until recently, had a TEA tanker(!) on blocks in its yard. At a guess it was used for fuel storage but when I went past last Thursday it appears to have gone.

I just knew I should have photted it before it went!

steve

• Like 1

A pre-war tank from me. i found this in a farmyard near Flockton whilst walking the dog, last Sunday. The overall size and shape, plus the filler lid and the fact that there is evidence of where a timber would have been on the end suggest it was a railway tank to me. I'm not sure about the pipe flange at the top, this end. though. A modification for farm use, or original?

Flockton-004.jpg

• Like 5