Grounded Vans

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

I am interested in two grounded van bodies that used to reside at Salisbury, in the vicinity of the station, until at least the mid-1980s, seemingly used as buffer stops on the ends of sidings.  One was in Fisherton East Yard, immediately beyond the BRSA club building; the other was at the western end, beyond the platforms and close to what I believe was the old cattle dock and the old western loco shed site.   The one in East yard is visible in the picture below, painted grey, just to the left of the 09 Shunter, behind the fence posts and the oil (?) drums:

post-10582-0-25904700-1542150909_thumb.jpg

I had thought previously that both were formerly gunpowder vans (best guess) - I am not by any stretch of the imagination a wagon identification expert - but a picture on a recent thread elsewhere on RMweb suggested that they might instead be ex-iron minks, filled with concrete; or, were they something else entirely?   I would like to model one as a change from the usual rail or sleeper-built alternatives, particularly given their connection with my former locale.  To that end, does anybody for sure what wagon type they really were (are?), please?  TVM.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And a better image here - apparently a pair of them!  

attachicon.gifPICT0051v1.jpg

Grateful for any advice, please.  TVM. 

Best wishes,

Paul

The GW used Iron Mink van bodies for stop blocks.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97686-new-stuff-from-lanarkshire-models-supplies/page-24&do=findComment&comment=3341560

The one in the top picture has no vent between the uprights so it may well be a gunpowder van which were based on the Iron Mink anyway. Must be quite old as it has the earlier rounded corners so could be converted from the old Ratio kit without too much trouble. The flush side doors with three pairs of hinges but no straps in the second picture also suggest it's more likely a gunpowder van than a standard Mink.

Edited by BernardTPM

The one in the top picture has no vent between the uprights so it may well be a gunpowder van which were based on the Iron Mink anyway. Must be quite old as it has the earlier rounded corners so could be converted from the old Ratio kit without too much trouble. The flush side doors with three pairs of hinges but no straps in the second picture also suggest it's more likely a gunpowder van than a standard Mink.

Don't forget the Iron-Mink-style gunpowder van was used by lots an' lots of railways into the twenties so they could well be South Western - or something completely 'foreign' to Sarum ....... at this juncture we'll probably never know !

Thank you: I knew I had seen that picture somewhere but could not, for the life of me, remember where.  In fact that was what sparked my interest.  Would make an interesting model, for sure.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you - much appreciated.  Starting from the old Ratio kit sounds like a better ( - cheaper!) option than buying a nice new Parkside gunpowder van, only to discard the chassis.  Nice to know that my wagon recce was a bit better than I had thought, too...

If I turn up any more pictures of the same van bodies I will post them on here.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 2

After a little Google-Fu, (other search engines are available...)  I see that Shire Scenes do a set of gunpowder van doors for the Ratio Iron Mink  ( - I assume these are brass overlays?)  I feel a cunning plan coming on.

Thanks again for your help, all.  

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you - much appreciated.  Starting from the old Ratio kit sounds like a better ( - cheaper!) option than buying a nice new Parkside gunpowder van, only to discard the chassis.  Nice to know that my wagon recce was a bit better than I had thought, too...

If I turn up any more pictures of the same van bodies I will post them on here.

Best wishes, 

Paul

Yes, the best thing to do with the poor old Ratio Iron Mink is to hide it away somewhere its dimensional 'issues' aren't conspicuous.

• Like 1

Yes, the best thing to do with the poor old Ratio Iron Mink is to hide it away somewhere its dimensional 'issues' aren't conspicuous.

Oh - that sounds ominous!  Is there perhaps a better starting point then?  I rejected the Dapol/ex-Wren/ex-HD gunpowder van because of its 'dimensional irregularities'; and whilst I have a rather nice Parkside GP van tucked away, it looks to be a rather later vehicle with square corners, rather than rounded ones - and a shame to butcher it, just to build a grounded body. 

Alternatively, does the Ratio Iron Mink need a huge amount doing to it?  A brief search on here suggested cutting down the sides by 1mm or so and perhaps re-shaping the roof.  I must admit, my only experience of said kit is having a built a number of the pre-painted 'blue circle' cement liveried variants when I worked in a Salisbury model shop in the early 1980s: I recall they went together okay and ran quite nicely, but I had no idea as to the  dimensional accuracy (or otherwise) of the model.  Western wagons are very much a foreign land to me, I'm afraid.  Grateful for any advice, please.  TVM.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the slight inaccuracies of the Ratio Iron Mink.

If you want to be bogged down by minor details then read this thread and decide whether there is a problem using the Ratio model as a scenic item. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep using them.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93255-accurate-iron-minks/

BTW it's Machynlleth where the photograph was taken if anyone is wondering. Presumably using redundant vans that had been used for transporting explosives to local quarries.

Jason

• Like 1