Grounded Vans

Jason, 

many thanks.  I am definitely more in the 'looks about right' camp, rather than desperate for spot-on accuracy  ( - and probably incapable of achieving that level of fidelity in any case, even if I could see it!)  In the absence of a viable alternative, I am inclined to give it a bash using the Ratio kit.  Plastic sheet and liquid poly on standby! 

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't worry about the slight inaccuracies of the Ratio Iron Mink.

If you want to be bogged down by minor details then read this thread and decide whether there is a problem using the Ratio model as a scenic item. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep using them.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93255-accurate-iron-minks/

BTW it's Machynlleth where the photograph was taken if anyone is wondering. Presumably using redundant vans that had been used for transporting explosives to local quarries.

Jason

Wasn't there a ventilated meat van of the Airfix 2/- kit variety used as well?

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well if they do, there is an old one in a caravan park here in Littleport. It looks in worse condition than the one above, but still useable. I'm not sure what type it is, but I think its a half sized one (one end is in the hedge line).

Andy G

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

....... or is it a non-refrig meat van ? ......... can't really tell from the livery and I'm not sure what the difference would be otherwise !

The BR non-refrigerated meat van was the (Airfix kit) one with multiple vents in the ends.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Seen better days ............. but is the second ( LMS ) one technically 'grounded' ?

Hair-splitting apart, the first ( BR ) one's not ventilated - so it's for perishables of some sort.

20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Is the first one a Banana van? It seems to have the insulated sides. 

There is a middle hinge which,to me, is another vote for a Banana Van.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I've not followed the earliest contributions to this thread so I don't know if this van has been featured already but I thought that I would share this recent picture (11th June) of a BR van with a pitched roof grounded at Southwold Harbour next to a fish and chip cafe. There are some well recorded coaches with this type of addition but this is the first time I have seen a van adapted in this way.

Best,

Pete

20190611_144906_Souhwold_Harbour.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, uax6 said:

My boss at my old work used to live in a house that had a wooden bodied carriage with a thatched roof. I never did get round to taking a picture of it though....

Andy G

edit: No need here it is: http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=16098

I walked past that going to and from school twice a day for thick end of twelve years!  Ruddy steep hill too!

• Like 1