Hunslet Austerity survivors

doilum

Hopefully this is the correct place to post.

Having realised that the Wikipedia entry is long out of date ( and may never have been totally accurate) is there a Hunslet enthusiast out there with an up to date list of the survivors and their current location and status?

17 minutes ago, doilum said:

Thanks

Is it my lack of skill, twitchy tablet or is this the least user friendly database of all time. It would appear to only confirm what you might already know provided you feed it enough details to find it.

The search continues. Apologies to those who swear by rather than at it.

10 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Industrial Railway Society published "Coalfield, Continent and Conservation" and is available in this package with "Austerity saddle tank locomotives" and is worth buying! 

https://irsshop.co.uk/MODbundle

Mark Saunders

Daughters tracked a copy down a couple of years ago and I completed my own hand written appendix of the  post war builds.

The recent debate on another thread got me thinking about the status of the survivors as we approach 40 years since they were last used in industrial service.

3 minutes ago, doilum said:

Daughters tracked a copy down a couple of years ago and I completed my own hand written appendix of the  post war builds.

The recent debate on another thread got me thinking about the status of the survivors as we approach 40 years since they were last used in industrial service.

Ah, I see: includes a CD!

on the Leedsengine info searching class austerity and sort by survivor at least shows all the Hunslet and Hudswell survivors but not any of the others if any of the Barclay, bagnall or Vulcan austerities survive

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/locolist.asp?page=1&order=SELECT+*+FROM+locos+WHERE+ID+>+-1+AND+exist+AND+(NOT+notls)+AND+[Class]+LIKE+'%aust%'+AND+[Builder]LIKE+'%%'++ORDER+by+[Works+No]

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, doilum said:

Sounds like you’re quite a way down the track already.  For locations, the latest Industrial Railway Society’s “Existing  Locomotives” edition 18EL has a useful index of builder’s numbers to pages/locations. However the book does not give current status, nor does it include examples that went abroad (Belgium and Holland).

• Thanks 1

From my reckoning, a total of 65 austerities went into "preservation".  45 of these are detailed in Continent Coalfield & Conservation. The remainder are from the Hunslet post war builds. I think I have avoided double counting the 1960s rebuilds. If I have counted correctly, the Wikipedia list has 63 (certainly missing Antwerp). If anyone can help with current location and status we might be able to update the Wikipedia article.

On 24/10/2019 at 20:20, sir douglas said:

on the Leedsengine info searching class austerity and sort by survivor at least shows all the Hunslet and Hudswell survivors but not any of the others if any of the Barclay, bagnall or Vulcan austerities survive

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/locolist.asp?page=1&order=SELECT+*+FROM+locos+WHERE+ID+>+-1+AND+exist+AND+(NOT+notls)+AND+[Class]+LIKE+'%aust%'+AND+[Builder]LIKE+'%%'++ORDER+by+[Works+No]

I need to look at this carefully. The Leeds loco list totals 63 and does include He 3180 Antwerp. I am sure that my list had several from the other builders. It appears to be reasonably up to date with regards to location.

19 minutes ago, doilum said:

I need to look at this carefully. The Leeds loco list totals 63 and does include He 3180 Antwerp. I am sure that my list had several from the other builders. It appears to be reasonably up to date with regards to location.

A quick look shows ten from Bagnoll, RSH and Vulcan Foundary. My list doesn't show any Hunslet builds in the 36xx series, so I assume that these numbers were allocated to austerities from other builders as they were overhauled in Leeds. The Wikipedia list does show the original builders so a little cross referencing is now required.

• RMweb Premium

I remember Steam Railway doing a complete list back in the late '80s and that number of 65 sounds about right.  I've struggled not so long ago to find a recent update on the status of the two survivors in Tunisia.

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I remember Steam Railway doing a complete list back in the late '80s and that number of 65 sounds about right.  I've struggled not so long ago to find a recent update on the status of the two survivors in Tunisia.

I hadn't clocked those two!

Thanks, good to hear from fellow austerity enthusiasts.