Access to the Insides of a Hornby 'H'

CCGWR

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if someone can help in regards to the Hornby H class. I would like to get into the cab to add a crew and even into the coal bunker to see if I can fit a keep-alive decoder. I have taken all the screws out of the body and I can see about 8 lugs the body side and can push a screwdriver through the lugs which relieves the back end but the smokebox end won't budge. Has anyone tried a similar thing or have any advice on removing the 'floor'?

Regards Connor 

• RMweb Premium

In my experience it doesn't take much force to pull these Hornby models apart, they seem to be quite economical with glue. If you look here you'll see that the roof can be prized off. But don't try too hard, I was repainting mine so some minor damage wouldn't have been a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2019 at 00:26, Hastings Thumper said:

As far as I can remember, you have to take the NEM housing off the front end which reveals another screw underneath.  So one screw to release the housing - the bit with the 'V' shape in it, then another underneath.  Two screws under the cab / back of tanks and one at the back I think.

Thanks. I have unscrewed every screw there is in the body and it is clear that the lugs present indicate that the body can be disconnected from the footplate but it is solidly stuck to the smokebox.

Connor

• RMweb Premium

It might not help, but this is what the body looks like when removed from the footplate (and repainted).

H_05.JPG.ee4b80a81e1f91287b35c09d308fa8f4.JPG

I can't remember how I got them parted, I suspect they were glued together.

• Thanks 1