"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you might mount the backscenes a bit higher this time, so more of the distant hills are visible over the solid scenic bits and pieces in the foreground?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Chimer said:

I wonder if you might mount the backscenes a bit higher this time, so more of the distant hills are visible over the solid scenic bits and pieces in the foreground?

The new format (i.e. ready mounted) will hopefully allow me to juggle a bit more as I would like to move the whole scene and therefore the actual village about 2ft clockwise...………....

We will see - I will try to gain a couple of benefits from what was/is a bad situation - there are a couple of tweaks that would be good including yours.

Watch this space...…………. 

Glad you made it back!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could also raise the 3-D part of the village by 3 or 4" to avoid the cliff edge effect at the top end of the retaining wall ….. ooh, and have a bridge to disappear the main line ….

Some people just won't give up, will they :jester:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Chimer said:

You could also raise the 3-D part of the village by 3 or 4" to avoid the cliff edge effect at the top end of the retaining wall ….. ooh, and have a bridge to disappear the main line ….

Some people just won't give up, will they :jester:

Having built and offered up a Metcalfe tunnel mouth I don't think it will present the cliff edge you are concerned about...……..

IMG_0496.JPG

There will be very little level difference between the high level "road" and the top of the tunnel wall - yes they will need careful blending but I'm happy it can be done with an app 2" wide rock face (or something similar) bridging the gap between the retaining arches/wall and blending with the rough grass/common land on the upper area

Really missing my backscenes...…………….

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

FINALLY - had the weather to cut the 3mm MDF platform tops - lots to do to get the right look but very pleased with the result so far - I think I'm now back in love with curved platforms :rolleyes:

For those who follow my progress on here - I'm pleased I binned the very poor originals!

IMG_0498.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Phew the back scenes are on their way, should arrive today...……………….tape partly in place and ready to receive!

Just a couple of picks showing what I've been up to (not the final positioning!)..............on top of a very tough couple of days getting my Mother in Law into a nursing home before it closed its doors on Friday, sad but inevitable but annoyingly totally virus induced as we should have been able to cope through the summer months and ease her in gently not dump and run and no visiting for the foreseeable future.

A bad combination - Virus lockdown conditions and increasing Dementia - thank god for the railway!

I can see me becoming much better at weathering over the coming months!

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Finally the backscenes have arrived after getting lost (due to temp drivers)  - the quality is great and the card is sturdy.

Just one final acknowledgement of Johns great service with much appreciation. 

On 23/03/2020 at 11:38, halsey said:

Phew the back scenes are on their way, should arrive today...……………….tape partly in place and ready to receive!

Just a couple of picks showing what I've been up to (not the final positioning!)..............on top of a very tough couple of days getting my Mother in Law into a nursing home before it closed its doors on Friday, sad but inevitable but annoyingly totally virus induced as we should have been able to cope through the summer months and ease her in gently not dump and run and no visiting for the foreseeable future.

A bad combination - Virus lockdown conditions and increasing Dementia - thank god for the railway!

I can see me becoming much better at weathering over the coming months!

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Could you hack the footbridge kit about (maybe use two actually) to make a Z shaped one?

That would make sense with the buildings roughly where you've put them.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Could you hack the footbridge kit about (maybe use two actually) to make a Z shaped one?

That would make sense with the buildings roughly where you've put them.

As I said they aren't in their final positions just placed for the photo but I see your point - once the (20 panels) backscenes are up (a few stressful/fiddly days I guess) I will review - thanks

Thinking a little more, since a lot of the operational action will take place in the station, would it not make more sense to have a subway, which won't get in your way for uncoupling/ seeing what you're doing?

I'd sooner have the visuals of the bridge, but it might not be the optimum choice for operation.

• RMweb Gold

PHEW that was quite a job (see below)…………..

The mounted card panels made it easier BUT the joints do show a little bit more - the double sided tape I chose wasn't really "man" enough, it greatly aided placement of the panels but hasn't secured them well enough for the long term so I have had to use staples (now painted) to really get the "fix" right.

Not sure if I would do anything different though as if the tape had "grabbed" more the panel placement would have been a nightmare as the card John uses is 1.5mm thick and does therefore slightly have a "mind" of its own.

Possibly I would ask for thinner card if I was going through it all again but who knows and please god I wont have to

Either way I'm very happy the repositioned backscene can now become just that - and be in the back of my mind as well

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 10:59, halsey said:

Having built and offered up a Metcalfe tunnel mouth I don't think it will present the cliff edge you are concerned about...……..

IMG_0496.JPG

There will be very little level difference between the high level "road" and the top of the tunnel wall - yes they will need careful blending but I'm happy it can be done with an app 2" wide rock face (or something similar) bridging the gap between the retaining arches/wall and blending with the rough grass/common land on the upper area

Really missing my backscenes...…………….

I hope this will make those of you who were worried about the "cliff face" a bit happier - it will work and moving the backscene village has helped this a lot...………...

The low relief buildings aren't finished yet...………...

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Looking very good there. I really could do with a photographic backscene like yours! My amateurish painted plaster board is no where near as good as yours!

Art Printers - ID Backscenes, John is very good - he has standard versions or can print your photos - options are paper/self-adhesive and/or mounted on card

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

made a start...……….very easy to cut XPS foam offcuts (from the baseboards) seem to be very good for "structures like this" - stick with PVA and even push 1" nails into joints for extra strength

I will probably do a shortened "wing" wall to the RH side of the (Metcalfe) tunnel mouth

IMG_0518.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:32, halsey said:

PHEW that was quite a job (see below)…………..

The mounted card panels made it easier BUT the joints do show a little bit more - the double sided tape I chose wasn't really "man" enough, it greatly aided placement of the panels but hasn't secured them well enough for the long term so I have had to use staples (now painted) to really get the "fix" right.

Not sure if I would do anything different though as if the tape had "grabbed" more the panel placement would have been a nightmare as the card John uses is 1.5mm thick and does therefore slightly have a "mind" of its own.

Possibly I would ask for thinner card if I was going through it all again but who knows and please god I wont have to

Either way I'm very happy the repositioned backscene can now become just that - and be in the back of my mind as well

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Very very nice...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2019 at 13:00, halsey said:

IMG_0274.JPG

I have had a couple of requests for a "Shrimp" update - old photo - if you know any <2yr old springer spaniels he won't sit still enough for another one!

I didn't think it was that much of interest...……………but here it is

Shrimp is doing very well, it was very tough keeping him in a cage for what felt like a life time for us all - I have genuinely lost track of the time now but he went for a 3rd X-ray early Feb? which was disappointing as he hadn't completely healed there was one remaining break/crack (out of 4!) which was showing good healing signs but not completed - but that is only a time issue and we've all got plenty of that now

Prognosis is for a complete recovery which is truly a miracle - but this might take 6 months more particularly as we cant sort another scan - he is something of a celebrity at Bristol Uni and our local vet! 

As far as he is concerned life is back to normal swimming running where we can see its safe so all good and he is very lucky to be here as at one point we (the whole vet team) were seconds away from calling it a day .

Finally got him! - after todays swim - FYI he has got his own bed but prefers a cuddle with his best mate (Scar) 

IMG_3844.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

All quiet at the moment as I've just (finally after days of research) made the decision to replace my VERY old (Windows10) laptop with an iMac!

So.…………... lots of IT stuff going on which isn't my bag but I do find if I immerse myself I can get through it (I hope) - I've paid extra for Apples 2yr premium support service.

So.………………... the railway will take a back seat for a week or so BUT I am "building"/creating a very long run of brick walling which is coming out OK to give me a break.

TESCOs came yesterday! -  slot was booked early/mid March - we probably wont get another till June!

Keep smiling...…………...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, halsey said:

All quiet at the moment as I've just (finally after days of research) made the decision to replace my VERY old (Windows10) laptop with an iMac!

So.…………... lots of IT stuff going on which isn't my bag but I do find if I immerse myself I can get through it (I hope) - I've paid extra for Apples 2yr premium support service.

So.………………... the railway will take a back seat for a week or so BUT I am "building"/creating a very long run of brick walling which is coming out OK to give me a break.

TESCOs came yesterday! -  slot was booked early/mid March - we probably wont get another till June!

Keep smiling...…………...

Don't throw the old laptop out-it could come in handy to control the railway?

Know what you mean about Tesco's -we have a click and collect slot tomorrow-again booked early March!!

Never mind, keep smiling, keep modelling (and sorting the  IT!) and above all stay safe.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a delivery on Sunday. Wife went online yesterday to see if she could book another delivery and she got one for this weekend!! The best thing was that they delivered everything we asked for with just a few substitutions!!! 

Good luck with the IT stuff!!! 

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm back properly modelling now  - sorted IT (love my iMac!)

Sorted SWMBO's DIY jobs list!

Enjoying great weather - modelling in the dull spells as I can't waste sunshine we get so little of it!

I'll post some pics soon..........

Keep safe guys.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The arched retaining walls (courtesy of Freestone Models who now only have a couple left) are starting to take shape.

I love these kits as they are very well detailed, go together well and look good especially when weathered (see the last 2 from the old layout).

For the "eagle eyed" amongst you there are still some plinths to go on the bottom of the pillars once they are all colour edged and permanently fixed in place.

Note the use of the silver birch bark to provide the beginnings of a cliff face on the tunnel mouth - not sure how it will turn out but its not irremovable yet...............

BFN

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Edited by halsey
better pictures
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Started on the second (last) tunnel mouth today...............this will be simply modelled as an area of undulating open rough ground blending in to the retaining arches and tunnel mouth stonework

IMG_0571.JPG

Starting another superquick kit as well - so glad I bought a number of these before lockdown - only problem is I'm going to end up doing 2 winters worth of hobby modelling over this bl**dy lockdown as railway or TV are pretty much the only choices 

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Latest super quick kit almost completed (BTW they are not super quick - this one is 20hrs and counting) - IMHO it provides a nice "end" to the upper street scene leading to the waste ground above the tunnel mouth - happy/at ease now "Chimer"??

Got trees and hedges on order (and a couple more kits - incl an Engine shed ) so I will have a break from buildings for now..................

Need to look for a couple more cars now

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 4