"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

I do like the superquick kits, misleading name and all. If I ever build anything in OO I'd like to have a go at populating a layout with nothing but :)

It's looking good. Shame about that LMS scrapline. Be much nicer if they were Maunsell N classes... :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

It's looking good. Shame about that LMS scrapline. Be much nicer if they were Maunsell N classes... :jester:

Ignore these terrible remarks - Stick to the LMS!!! 

All jokes aside, its looking very good and those superquick models are coming along nicely!

Ian 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks great from those angles - it's looking from the station end where I'm wondering how they dug the foundations of that shop without disturbing the tunnel that's only a few feet below ….  and why they built a tunnel through such low ground in the first place ….. :P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chimer said:

Looks great from those angles - it's looking from the station end where I'm wondering how they dug the foundations of that shop without disturbing the tunnel that's only a few feet below ….  and why they built a tunnel through such low ground in the first place ….. :P

Thats because some bloke said I'd got to hide the tracks behind a wall that I then had to try to make some sense of................ I've never actually seen a fiddle yard in real life either...................

Its a bit like flying double decker buses.......and your terrace seems to have the same problem - hmmmmmmmmm

BTW - the shop is built on raft foundations:rolleyes:

IMG_0348.JPG.08853536f0b5c445e82245b728bc46cc.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Ignore these terrible remarks - Stick to the LMS!!! 

Ian 

6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I do like the superquick kits, misleading name and all. If I ever build anything in OO I'd like to have a go at populating a layout with nothing but :)

That LMS cost me £35 DCC fitted, it is immaculate and runs like a dream

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

This thread hasn't been about layout or track planning for a long time now. Maybe it should be moved?

Not a problem for me .................it probably is more about layout evolution now...........

It is in fact only < 6 months old and seems to provide a lot of motivation to new modellers so IMHO needs to be easy to find (and continue to follow) by those starting out and not those into prototypical modelling and scratch building.

I assume you have reported it so its over to the mods to sort if deemed appropriate...................

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest "Layout Topics", where all the general discussions about all kinds of individual layouts are hosted.

I think you'd get a bigger audience there and I'm sure your followers will move automatically if @AY Mod moves this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, halsey said:

I assume you have reported it so its over to the mods to sort if deemed appropriate

I would suggest it may be worth editing the first post in the topic to include the layout name and then click on the Report link at the bottom of that post with a request to move it. I can then sort it but it would be best done after a title change.

• Thanks 1

• halsey changed the title to "Hawkesbury" - layout renamed and relocated
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I would suggest it may be worth editing the first post in the topic to include the layout name and then click on the Report link at the bottom of that post with a request to move it. I can then sort it but it would be best done after a title change.

Done and PM'd you - I would rather it stays as one BUT if its more use to others then I'm happy for you to split it - The layout already has a DCC thread and a Layout thread.

• Thanks 1

• halsey changed the title to "Hawkesbury" - layout now named and relocated
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, halsey said:

Done and PM'd you - I would rather it stays as one BUT if its more use to others then I'm happy for you to split it - The layout already has a DCC thread and a Layout thread.

Now moved over to Layouts in its entirety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, halsey said:

Thats because some bloke said I'd got to hide the tracks behind a wall that I then had to try to make some sense of................ I've never actually seen a fiddle yard in real life either...................

Its a bit like flying double decker buses.......and your terrace seems to have the same problem - hmmmmmmmmm

BTW - the shop is built on raft foundations:rolleyes:

Fair call re the terrace (actually the bit over the tracks was just a conservatory stuck on the end of the last house, I may not have shown that :rolleyes:), but I did want you to hide more of the bend too, so the mainline looked as though it went off more westerly than southerly - via a bridge rather than a tunnel.

You are cracking on fantastically on the scenic front - I just hope its operation turns out to be as interesting for you as I thought it could be for me if it were mine.

Cheers

Chris

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Fair call re the terrace (actually the bit over the tracks was just a conservatory stuck on the end of the last house, I may not have shown that :rolleyes:), but I did want you to hide more of the bend too, so the mainline looked as though it went off more westerly than southerly - via a bridge rather than a tunnel.

You are cracking on fantastically on the scenic front - I just hope its operation turns out to be as interesting for you as I thought it could be for me if it were mine.

Cheers

Chris

I have had few phases of "operating" but wanted to get the really messy and "leaning over" stuff out of the way before setting it up for operation again - its quite a balance but I think I'm getting it about right - there is enough context set now for it to feel right and I've had enough of kit building for a while................

Just ordered a few vehicles - is it just me or at an average of £10 a time do they feel expensive?

Not sure everything I've ordered was on the road in 1950 but it is a model not a prototype!

Keep safe.....

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Chimer said:

I think basic cars can usually be had for around £6 at shows - but that's obviously not an option at the moment :(

Amazon is the only show in town............

they are probably still Oxford die cast............... they do do some cheaper versions  - is there anyone else doing UK vehicles...........not that I need many, if any, more

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have a wide range of Oxford diecast from a fiver ….. at a quick glance there is quite a bit of stuff that would suit your time frame.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000488/1000588/1000765/0/oxford_diecast_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_cars/prodlist.aspx

Edit to say other box-shifters doubtless available, but I'm red rose not white ….

Edited by Chimer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've gone a bit crazy today mapping out road shapes with grey primer - I'm firstly really pleased and secondly very surprised as to how much it has brought everything into context after such a simple job 

I know it looks a bit Hornby Train set 'ish in these pics but its only the beginning to provide context and the basis of future work 

I had to shorten a few of the sidings in the goods/canal area to make sense of the road but again that was expected when I laid them out and no re-wiring was involved

IMG_0595_2.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to be a SuperQuick kit addict????

I built up another one over the weekend - a very good looking (but very simple to construct) kit) but it looks perfect in this spot - its not officially low relief but its only 2" deep - note the trees/orchard!

Two more "in stock" then hopefully we will be allowed to go boating again - my target date was always 1st June and IMHO that's still looking possible.............

IMG_0600.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For those of you who follow this/my topic - life has been a bit busy - we have decide to sell our much loved canal boat and probably to give up on boating altogether, this is not completely out of the blue its just that the virus has brought it forward AND we have decide that Shrimp is now strong enough to have a playmate of his own age so we have lined up and are going to look at another Springer (10 month old) from our regular kennel who we are hoping will be a good fit.

So tomorrow is viewing the new dog (Jet) , Tuesday is emptying the boat and handing her over to the broker and Wednesday is collecting the new dog.

In the meantime I have been modelling - I have laid an additional length of track in the Loco Shed area and have built up a new (SuperQuick) double track Loco Shed - I now have a large number of buildings which need weathering so that is the next "project".

Photo attached................

IMG_0605.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

New dog "Jet" (in the foreground) .................only his second day............

Before you ask no the Lab hasn't got a tail - he lost it in a shooting accident before we had him

IMG_0046.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've just come back to the layout after a few weeks off (I won't bore you with why - not a problem just "life").......

Anyway........

why in a clean, dry, warm environment am I having contact (and therefore cleaning) issues??

I do find this element of our hobby very frustrating - am I expecting too much - after 3 weeks away do you all have to clean every inch of your layouts to get good running - I use a Lanarkshire converted brake van with an IPA soaked roller which works very well and is quite enjoyable - is this the best solution - is IPA the best product  - what causes the surface deposits /corrosion?

Can I do any more to combat it

I'm not running any traction tyres or any non metal wheels 

• RMweb Gold

I watched a You Tube video a few weeks ago about track cleaning and IPA is actually the problem. It contains water. 

The solution is not to use it anymore and go to using electrical contact cleaner. I have never used IPA, only an old school Peco track rubber. But having watched the video I have just bought a can of WD40 brand contact cleaner to try.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 2