"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Question............

Which way round should a DMU/Railcar "sit" is the motor unit at the front "pulling" or at the back "pushing" - my controller is set up to "pull" forward direction so I am assuming that's right??

Cheers................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In real life, the things just spend as much time going one way as the other, so there can be no real answer to that question ...... which doesn't mean somebody won't come up with something!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Chimer said:

In real life, the things just spend as much time going one way as the other, so there can be no real answer to that question ...... which doesn't mean somebody won't come up with something!

Thats sort of what I expected to be told...............cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent a little bit of time over the last day or so just using up old backdrops and card kit bits to "wake up" the lift out section - it does tend to stay in place for 75% of the time so a few easily removable "accessories" seemed worth a try just to include it in a better viewing experience 

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

HELP wanted - please

My lack of prototypical knowledge of actual railways means I'm getting stuck as to what two "open" areas of the layout could/should look like so I really would like some ideas please .......

The plans below show the areas I'm talking about ................"Home Goods" and the area to the right of the now revised "Goods Headshunt" - Themes, Building types etc all thoughts will help me...........  

2112845381_Finalnewlayout.jpg.2bf5680a64f359fbfaa9002de8cfa8ce.jpg

.......and the photos help with reminding you what is there now/already.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Thanks in anticipation.................

Cheers

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also ..............can those of you with more knowledge point me in the direction of a good source of 1950's goods yard "paraphernalia" - wagon loads, workers, equipment, trolleys etc etc.

Looks like as we have at least another 3 months until we can feel reasonably "free" that the railway will continue to be very important to my sanity even though my normal winter modelling period will be a distant memory 

Thanks 

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jules

You will doubtless recall that my original idea concerning the right hand side was two distinct freight areas - a small goods yard "belonging" to the station area, and "canal sidings" round the corner.  Separated by a warehouse to emphasise the difference (as per the plan).  In this scenario you might have a small goods shed (e.g Metcalf's PO232) and perhaps coal staithes on two of the sidings in "home goods" while "canal sidings" serves a business which uses both canal and railway - one siding obviously "canal side" complete with all the mundungus needed to shift stuff from barge to train, and maybe something like Metcalf's "Small Factory" (PO283) served by another siding.  Usual disclaimer re Metcalf KIts - I just happen to like them 'cos they are within the limits of my skill set.

You also know already that I think you need bridges and roads above track level in the top left hand corner to assist with the realistic disappearance of the main line while heading only a little bit south of west .........  This could lead naturally to a road descending in the other area you are thinking about leading round to "home goods".

Harburn Hobbies have a wide  range of "paraphenalia", including stuff at £ several that competitors in the "Great Model Railway Challenge" would probably whip up for free given 10 minutes sorting through their household rubbish!

Cheers, Chris

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Hi Jules

You will doubtless recall that my original idea concerning the right hand side was two distinct freight areas - a small goods yard "belonging" to the station area, and "canal sidings" round the corner.  Separated by a warehouse to emphasise the difference (as per the plan).  In this scenario you might have a small goods shed (e.g Metcalf's PO232) and perhaps coal staithes on two of the sidings in "home goods" while "canal sidings" serves a business which uses both canal and railway - one siding obviously "canal side" complete with all the mundungus needed to shift stuff from barge to train, and maybe something like Metcalf's "Small Factory" (PO283) served by another siding.  Usual disclaimer re Metcalf KIts - I just happen to like them 'cos they are within the limits of my skill set.

You also know already that I think you need bridges and roads above track level in the top left hand corner to assist with the realistic disappearance of the main line while heading only a little bit south of west .........  This could lead naturally to a road descending in the other area you are thinking about leading round to "home goods".

Harburn Hobbies have a wide  range of "paraphenalia", including stuff at £ several that competitors in the "Great Model Railway Challenge" would probably whip up for free given 10 minutes sorting through their household rubbish!

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I recall all the above - I just needed a nudge in the right direction - we will have to continue to disagree re the top left hand corner as, at the moment at least, I don't have the problem with it that you do :) 

I'll research your "pointers" - thanks for the info

Just taken delivery of a wireless conversion kit for my Gaugemaster DCC controller as I had a very dodgy "trip"over the controller wiring last week which could have been a disaster (for the layout and my Hip) , but thankfully wasn't.

So todays playing is sorted.

Keep smiling and safe

BFN ........... J

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2021 at 08:46, Chimer said:

Hi Jules

Cheers, Chris

Update - 

Just ordered Small Factory and Nissen Hut to help me start imagining the scene better.....

Wireless control all set up and well worth it - saved £100 from lowest new pricing by searching on a certain auction site - "used twice" still with seals in place - accurately described v pleased.

J

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jules,

In my opinion it is worth thinking through fairly early on in developing them what sorts of "things" are going to be delivered to and picked up from your goods yards.

For instance, to me, the biggest "snag" with goods yards are open wagons. Or to be more specific emptying and loading them.

IMHO nothing destroys the illusion we are trying to develop more than "the hand from the sky" loading and unloading them, or loaded or empty wagons entering a goods yard and later leaving it again in the same condition they entered!

My pet solution is to keep the opens to a minimum, with those I do allow being dropped off by a long distance freight and then picked up again by the pick up goods to take them to a local yard (or down a branch!) (or the reverse of course!) 

I do redress the balance by having a lot of opens in my through non stop freights!

In another posting I will explain how I deal with coal wagons, but my solution does need planning in before building the layout!!

If the hand in the sky thing doesn't bother you, then fair enough, but a lot of people don't think of this until it is too late, so I thought I would mention it?

I do like your idea of a backscene on the access lift out as a bare "bridge" spoils the illusion.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The hand in the sky can possibly only operate between sessions - so the coal wagons dropped off on Monday are magically empty when play restarts on Tuesday - unloading wagons in backless goods sheds / factories also a possibility.   But I fully agree it's something worth thinking about.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Jules,

In my opinion it is worth thinking through fairly early on in developing them what sorts of "things" are going to be delivered to and picked up from your goods yards.

For instance, to me, the biggest "snag" with goods yards are open wagons. Or to be more specific emptying and loading them.

IMHO nothing destroys the illusion we are trying to develop more than "the hand from the sky" loading and unloading them, or loaded or empty wagons entering a goods yard and later leaving it again in the same condition they entered!

My pet solution is to keep the opens to a minimum, with those I do allow being dropped off by a long distance freight and then picked up again by the pick up goods to take them to a local yard (or down a branch!) (or the reverse of course!) 

I do redress the balance by having a lot of opens in my through non stop freights!

In another posting I will explain how I deal with coal wagons, but my solution does need planning in before building the layout!!

If the hand in the sky thing doesn't bother you, then fair enough, but a lot of people don't think of this until it is too late, so I thought I would mention it?

I do like your idea of a backscene on the access lift out as a bare "bridge" spoils the illusion.

Cheers

Paul

Hi,

I use a "hand of god" for uncoupling so don't have a major problem with it - Chris's "overnight movements" idea feels like a good "rule 1" solution.

Cheers re the bridge section comment - it cant ever be elaborate but does already look masses better for no cost and little effort.

Coal is clearly going to be the main cargo that works for canals and rail also timber, barrels and other heavy loads - the focus will be on the canal transport aspect

BFN

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just completed this Metcalfe mini kit - 3hrs enjoyment for £6 is OK in my book.

I'm a real Superquick fan as I do like the 60's feel to the finished article but the Metcalfe range is wider which is good so more will be introduced to "Hawkesbury"  over time - I definitely prefer card to plastic and paint - but its too soon to say which "brand" I prefer making up. 

Just a plug for Harburn Hobbies (as recommended by Chris above) excellent service and speed of delivery :)

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

The platform Kiosk, does look good. What does the back of it look like?

I ask because I had only ever thought of this item being back to a station building in which case the back is irrelevant! I knowit can be argued that standing where you show it no one will see the back, but it somehow doesn't look quite right to me.

You could of course, if your platform is wide enough buy a second one and have them back to back!

In a previous post I mentioned my approach to coal sidings. This is a variation on Chris's open backed building in that the siding disappears under a bridge running into one or two sidings out of view of spectators. If there is room for two then you have one for full wagons and one for empties.

Alternatively you can run one or two sidings through to your fiddle yard and sort the wagons there.

Then, operationally a string of full coal wagons arrive, set back into the hidden siding(s) and collect the empties, set forward and drop the empties into another siding in the visible goods yard, then set back again to deposit the full wagons in the coal yard. If you can run the siding(s) through to the fiddle yard then another loco can collect the full ones and replace them with empties. Then the full ones circulate clockwise(say) and the empties circulate the opposite way!

Running this can be an enjoyable variation on shunting while a couple of expresses (say) curcuit the main lines.

Best regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

The platform Kiosk, does look good. What does the back of it look like?

I ask because I had only ever thought of this item being back to a station building in which case the back is irrelevant! I knowit can be argued that standing where you show it no one will see the back, but it somehow doesn't look quite right to me.

You could of course, if your platform is wide enough buy a second one and have them back to back!

In a previous post I mentioned my approach to coal sidings. This is a variation on Chris's open backed building in that the siding disappears under a bridge running into one or two sidings out of view of spectators. If there is room for two then you have one for full wagons and one for empties.

Alternatively you can run one or two sidings through to your fiddle yard and sort the wagons there.

Then, operationally a string of full coal wagons arrive, set back into the hidden siding(s) and collect the empties, set forward and drop the empties into another siding in the visible goods yard, then set back again to deposit the full wagons in the coal yard. If you can run the siding(s) through to the fiddle yard then another loco can collect the full ones and replace them with empties. Then the full ones circulate clockwise(say) and the empties circulate the opposite way!

Running this can be an enjoyable variation on shunting while a couple of expresses (say) curcuit the main lines.

Best regards

Paul

Paul

The back is finished so it can be freestanding but it is simply a "proper" wood cladding detail - they do supply loads of posters with the kit so a couple of those could be used on the back if it were visible - I haven't decided where to put it yet it was simply placed for the purposes of the photo.

My platform is probably too narrow for true 2 unit "back to back" use

"Fiddle Yard" style operation doesn't appeal, and to be honest never has, I'm a committed roundy roundy and shunting type with an operational goods environment separated from two running main lines

For me this is the success of Hawkesbury and why it really works well for me 

At my age three operational areas to keep an eye on is more than enough..........

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got a good job out of the way yesterday and today but very boring ................

The inevitable sleeper gaps which occur during track laying have now been addressed by "fitting" single/double sleeper pieces where they were missing - it really does complete the picture but there were app 100 to do so it took a while and required some good background music!

Metcalfe mini model yard crane is next 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

You just have to keep telling yourself that you only need to do the sleeper job once! And then next week you find one that you have missed!!

It helps having a "nice" job lined up next, something to look forward to?

Cheers

Paul

Totally agree - I can't see a missed one yet - my "nice" job is the mini model Crane then the Nissen Hut - gardening may get in the way next few days if SWMBO has her way :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Metcalfe Mini Crane now sorted - quite a fiddly kit but once weathered in I think it will look good 

Only roughly pinned to baseboard foam for this photo

Note my mod to give pulleys an "axle" so they can turn - just a light panel pin

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Nissen Hut (mini model) now completed - not so absorbing to build, it still looks good but it was pretty easy/basic - I always find photos are super critical and clearly I didn't get the windows quite right, they are a bit too low and therefore the frames aren't vertical but then these things were never perfect.

EDIT - I've just noticed that on Metcalfes own photos the windows aren't vertical!

I might order a couple more to make up a mini "camp" storage yard in the "Goods Headshunt" area (what do "you" think???) - but I will wait until the last structure (in this phase) the "Small Factory" is built and is probably located in the Home Goods area.

J

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A good day today - ran all locos whilst sorting the next kit and no running issues - took these photos just to send to a mate but I thought I'd share .........it begins to look like a proper model railway - couldn't have done it without RMW - thanks all...............

J

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Decision made for the two areas ...................

The Headshunt area will have 3 Metcalfe Nissan huts acting as a storage yard with chain link security fencing and "stuff" - any recommendations for 50's/60's chain link and posts would be good.............. 

The Home Goods (canal wharf) area may need a minor amount of track relaying to achieve some straighter (sadly therefore shorter) sidings in the Home Goods area to make it work - but I'm going to use the 3 Metcalfe Industrial kits 282/3/4 which are intended to go together as the basis for an Industrial area.

All now on order .......

Kit 283 is already part built - I think overall I prefer Superquick as they are "finer" and the card edges are easier to blend in but the range is limited and IMHO Metcalfe have got the edge on strength and are also particularly good at windows overall they are just a bit "clunky" for me and a bit too "bright" but some heavy "weathering" should resolve that.

Watch this space ........................

Cheers - BFN

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmmm??

Nissen Huts..............building location is challenging 

regimented as they would have been built by the Army

or

random as would have prevailed if they had been re-located??

comments welcome - this is to create a storage/work compound on the edge of the goods/headshunt TT area.

Thanks all...................

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

• Like 1