"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Chimer said:

Top picture looks more likely to me.  Easier to arrange access for lorries if they're lined up sensibly .....

I tend to agree..... have you any experience of sourcing/making the right fencing for the compound

I'm assuming chain link with angled top concrete posts  

Metcalfe small factory nearly done and the other 2 kits in the "set" will keep me busy for the next few weeks - as we currently have lots of jobs going on in the house.......

All our Christmas thoughts seem to be hitting us this month - new fitted wardrobes in 2 bedrooms, a newly fitted study in a redundant downstairs bathroom and a new (Stiltz) lift - long term future proofing for us both with our various ailments.

Mid April is the target for it all to be done and we are on course at the moment despite the bug and Brexit.

All good fun. 

J

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, halsey said:

I tend to agree..... have you any experience of sourcing/making the right fencing for the compound

I'm assuming chain link with angled top concrete posts  

'Fraid not - you should know by now all I actually do is draw plans ....... :wacko:

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Chimer said:

'Fraid not - you should know by now all I actually do is draw plans ....... :wacko:

and dream........................:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pretty "chuffed" with my first "scratch-build" - there were bits left over from the 3 "proper" Nissen huts and those along with some scale model scenery corrugated fencing and some wooden coffee stir sticks I managed to create this........bonus model....

I have decided this area is going to be an early BRS storage compound - a couple of vehicles now on order

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1029 2.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

Hi Jules,

What is going to be the final treatment of the baseboard surface around the huts?

I would be tempted to put them side by side in the lower right corner of your pics. This would allow a good sized area for other things such as parked vehicles piles of who knows what etc.

If you space them out too much you then have the problem of what to do with the space in between!

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Jules,

What is going to be the final treatment of the baseboard surface around the huts?

I would be tempted to put them side by side in the lower right corner of your pics. This would allow a good sized area for other things such as parked vehicles piles of who knows what etc.

If you space them out too much you then have the problem of what to do with the space in between!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Point well made ...I have ordered some vehicles and people to provide context to assist that decision/thought process

Finish not decided or even thought about much as yet - but likely to be gravel/grass/informal.

Watch this space - I'm pleased with the general direction of travel so that's what matters...........

BFN

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this is the preferred layout for the BRS "huts" - thanks for the various contributions......vans awaited to set/test the scene .............

"Metcalfe Small Factory" placed for photo - it may be the right place but I need to make up the other 2 kits to see how they sit together - enjoyed making this one its a nice item.

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a tad more clearance between the huts and the track?  Not easy to judge but looks a bit tight?  

And do you need more than a 1" stub track coming from the turntable in this direction?  Don't see an operational use for the longer track, and losing it would give you a bit more space to play with for your compound area.

Such fun tweaking someone else's ideas ..... :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Maybe a tad more clearance between the huts and the track?  Not easy to judge but looks a bit tight?  

And do you need more than a 1" stub track coming from the turntable in this direction?  Don't see an operational use for the longer track, and losing it would give you a bit more space to play with for your compound area.

Such fun tweaking someone else's ideas ..... :)

Hmmmmmmm

Clearance I agree haven't been running anything since placing them

Will ponder the "stub" - I thought it needed to be the longest Loco length - what purpose does a stub serve ??

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Where did that EE Deltic DP1 come from - its on its inaugural run in April 1955 (my birthday!) - that's why it looks so very clean 

Just purchased (not cheap) but a bit of fun....................

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To my eye, that's a really good-looking transition from 3D to 2D scenery in the second picture.  I can't tell whether the stone wall behind the blue and yellow peril, between that hut and the tunnel mouth, is real or on the backscene?  I think it's on the backscene, in which case kudos for picking it up with a real wall this side of the hut .... :good:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Chimer said:

To my eye, that's a really good-looking transition from 3D to 2D scenery in the second picture.  I can't tell whether the stone wall behind the blue and yellow peril, between that hut and the tunnel mouth, is real or on the backscene?  I think it's on the backscene, in which case kudos for picking it up with a real wall this side of the hut .... :good:

No it's a real wall but a totally different one employed to transition from brick to stone into the countryside using the hut as a visual break.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/04/2021 at 15:32, halsey said:

Where did that EE Deltic DP1 come from - its on its inaugural run in April 1955 (my birthday!) - that's why it looks so very clean 

Just purchased (not cheap) but a bit of fun....................

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

Update - this loco runs like a dream but due to its length it has caused a couple of clearance mods (notably the tunnel mouth under the raised section) to ensure smooth running - disappointing it hasn't got illuminated cabs but otherwise all good. 

A TECHNICAL QUESTION.....................

I have noticed due to unplanned "uncouplings" that on some of my locos (all Bachmann) the vertical arm of the coupling hook is catching as it crosses points and thereby causing it to lose its "train" - is this a common fault re-solved I assume by shortening the offending arm section?? Comments??

Cheers 

J

8 hours ago, halsey said:

Update - this loco runs like a dream but due to its length it has caused a couple of clearance mods (notably the tunnel mouth under the raised section) to ensure smooth running - disappointing it hasn't got illuminated cabs but otherwise all good. 

A TECHNICAL QUESTION.....................

I have noticed due to unplanned "uncouplings" that on some of my locos (all Bachmann) the vertical arm of the coupling hook is catching as it crosses points and thereby causing it to lose its "train" - is this a common fault re-solved I assume by shortening the offending arm section?? Comments??

Cheers 

J

Surely uncoupling will only occur if the rear coupling on the loco and the front coupling on the first item of stock both "catch" on the point trackwork?

Or is it that the horizontal arm of the loco coupling is at an angle because the item of stock's coupling is too high?

Does the problem occur with different locos coupled to different stock?

I suggest you put offending locos on a siding (or spare bit of track) where you can look at them at eye level and see if the coupling horizontal arm is horizontal . Ditto with the items of stock that come uncoupled from these locos.

In my experience the occasional loco or stock coupling develops a "droop", but this is rather rare.

I would be careful about shortening the vertical bar as this is necessary for use with uncoupling ramps!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Paulk

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Surely uncoupling will only occur if the rear coupling on the loco and the front coupling on the first item of stock both "catch" on the point trackwork?

Or is it that the horizontal arm of the loco coupling is at an angle because the item of stock's coupling is too high?

Does the problem occur with different locos coupled to different stock?

I suggest you put offending locos on a siding (or spare bit of track) where you can look at them at eye level and see if the coupling horizontal arm is horizontal . Ditto with the items of stock that come uncoupled from these locos.

In my experience the occasional loco or stock coupling develops a "droop", but this is rather rare.

I would be careful about shortening the vertical bar as this is necessary for use with uncoupling ramps!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Paulk

I think "droop" is the issue - I don't use uncoupling ramps as I prefer "hand of god (dental probe)" - I've shortened one vertical 1/16th" 'ish and problem solved so not an issue

• RMweb Gold

Well ............... thanks to "Chimer" I have "discovered" the Metcalfe Industrial kit range and love them ................I have therefore now decided to give the canal area a complete re-think and am going to create an Industrial area focussed on that range of buildings based around the canal basin with Warehouses, Offices and a Brewery

The Boiler house was a bit complicated (one section has 6 folds!) but very rewarding to build great value /hr building time for the £ and very sturdy 

2 kits built 3 more kits on order and still to go in so it will be busy - for those who follow the detail on this thread I've decided I'm going to set aside some of the goods yard area as a small workstation space for running repairs so the remains of this area will blend into the fringes of the industry probably with a small amount of track relaying to create straight(er) sidings.

All good fun and I'm enjoying it which is the main point after all.

Hope you are all enjoying modelling in the snow today.

Picture of the new Hawkesbury BRS depot attached to show the fleet of vehicles which have just arrived

Cheers

J

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So what have I been doing????

Lots of construction under way 80% just placed here to give an idea of the extent of the canal/tunnel mouth remodel/demolition to allow for a much more industrial theme.

I'm very pleased so far................I like the (very good and very cheap) back scene/house/warehouse fronts from "scale model scenery" IMHO the quality of their stuff is excellent...........

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I cant believe its 3 weeks since my last post!

Lots being going on on the railway and elsewhere - finally got rid of all of our contractors and all done and SWMBO is very happy!

"Hawkesbury"  has made some progress with a serious change to the goods yard track layout and a consequential change of buildings - nothing's finished yet I've just laid it out to represent where its headed and to keep me going and to think about a couple more buildings as I do want it to be quite tightly packed!

Any ideas for finishing off the "top" of the tunnel mouth (behind the low relief Factory/Mill where the "Deltic" EE prototype is entering) would be appreciated - open fields is still the favourite as it was in much earlier versions.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2

A very good layout   as to were the Deltic is on the last pic, howabout a sloping brick wall joining another wall surrounding the buildings.By sloping I mean start behind the building say just below the third high window and possibly bring it down in steps till it reaches the normal wall around the buildins.A couple of trees would also help to screen the exit.Also trees behind the track would help  and behind were the building is perhaps entension of hillside which will cover the tunnel exit.  Hope this helps ,

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jules

Your specific question - ditch the tunnel mouth, there clearly can't be a hill there to tunnel through, shift the building left a bit and just let it act as a view blocker, with fields visible beyond.

You may want the area tightly packed, but I don't reckon that Metcalf factory (?) in the top pic (between the Jinty (?) and the DMU) can stay where it is.  You can't get at it other than by rail, and anything sited there would have to be railway owned, I think.  So I think I'd shift the building and use the space for something else, and maybe shorten the sidings so a lorry can get into the space from the near end.  And perhaps move the siding the Jinty is on nearer to the platform road, so the space is between the two sidings.

Coming along nicely, though.

Chris

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

A very good layout   as to were the Deltic is on the last pic, howabout a sloping brick wall joining another wall surrounding the buildings.By sloping I mean start behind the building say just below the third high window and possibly bring it down in steps till it reaches the normal wall around the buildins.A couple of trees would also help to screen the exit.Also trees behind the track would help  and behind were the building is perhaps entension of hillside which will cover the tunnel exit.  Hope this helps ,

Thanks for that - it certainly keeps me sane - esp over the last year!

I can't get any trees between the track and the back scene but the rest of your ideas are providing food for thought ..............

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Hi Jules

Your specific question - ditch the tunnel mouth, there clearly can't be a hill there to tunnel through, shift the building left a bit and just let it act as a view blocker, with fields visible beyond.

You may want the area tightly packed, but I don't reckon that Metcalf factory (?) in the top pic (between the Jinty (?) and the DMU) can stay where it is.  You can't get at it other than by rail, and anything sited there would have to be railway owned, I think.  So I think I'd shift the building and use the space for something else, and maybe shorten the sidings so a lorry can get into the space from the near end.  And perhaps move the siding the Jinty is on nearer to the platform road, so the space is between the two sidings.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I agree about the siding lengths they re just set to the max for now and can/and will be easily  shortened as the buildings dictate...........

I like the separation introduced by the "small factory" but yes it must have road access........

I hadn't even thought about not having a tunnel entrance and therefore no roof over it.............

Again I agree so I will experiment perhaps embracing "lmsforever"s suggestions as well ie a wall and tree barrier..............   

Cheers 

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2021 at 17:39, Chimer said:

Hi Jules

Chris

Better??

It's why my first stage is always to lay it out and then paint (ballast/tracks/roads/grass) as it gives the idea some substance - then photograph it and you will see the "faults" much better - it works for me at least...........

Nearly there with the new track now - all wired and working and I've gained a siding!

Got trees and walling on order ..........

J

IMG_1150.JPG

• Like 1