"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Premium

It'll be really interesting to see how you fit the tunnel mouth into the raised ground that the wall is presumably retaining.  But you sorted the canal scene, so I'm sure you can hack this one :D

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Chimer said:

It'll be really interesting to see how you fit the tunnel mouth into the raised ground that the wall is presumably retaining.  But you sorted the canal scene, so I'm sure you can hack this one :D

Ha!

You credit me with more creativity than I think I have, but we will see - I do tend (inevitably) to think of canal tunnel type solutions having spent the last 50+ years cruising through them - hence scrubland, a reservoir, industrial wasteland or even a street of Victorian houses and an access road all fit in my book ……………….

Hmmmmmmmm...............  just thinking/writing that last one has got me thinking - it exists (canal) in Cookley Staffs and could look right (I could glue 1/2 depth house fronts to the backwall) - no rush to resolve this as I want to continue with the station and then the canal basin - I just want a plan/theme in my mind so I can conclude the building of the substructure to get the mess out of the way.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to go with the street and terraced fronts idea for the "roof" with the rural "B" road ending in a cul-de-sac at the (top LH) tunnel mouth end - so I have now done the solid substructure work removed all the temporary braces got the mess out of the way and lowered the "roof to give a better edge to the road/retaining wall top.

I'm not intending to model this for quite a while so am happy to have more advice/comments I just wanted to complete the messy building work - I do like to keep the loops useable as I prefer modelling with 2 trains running.

I cant get outside to handle the 5ft lengths of MDF to cut the platform tops cos of this bl**dy weather - so I've just bought another eBay Bachmann 3F steam DCC fitted loco instead - it was very cheap at £54 (but from a good source) so we'll see - I've done it with my eyes open!

Sorry the sketch isn't that good but you should get the idea ……………………..

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chimer said:

You might want to raise the backscene to leave some countryside visible over the terrace roofs?  As I can't persuade you to use a lower wall :D .........

Ha! - that can't be done as it forms a continuous run around the whole space...…………..

What I will probably do is leave enough see through - above fencing "gaps" to keep the feel also the entry road/junction and the open ground cul de sac end (which might have a Romany caravan and grazing horses) will provide context and I'll probably only model a max of 6 poor quality houses (one boarded up) and maybe a tired corner shop

Cheers!

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased to report my private eBay £54 DCC fitted and tested 3F was a great success - immaculate and after an initial mini service runs really well - considering the 21 pin decoder is worth £20 what's not to like!

The retail eBay item from "Rails" hasn't arrived yet despite being fully paid for on Sunday - and its now Friday!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, halsey said:

Very pleased to report my private eBay £54 DCC fitted and tested 3F was a great success - immaculate and after an initial mini service runs really well - considering the 21 pin decoder is worth £20 what's not to like!

The retail eBay item from "Rails" hasn't arrived yet despite being fully paid for on Sunday - and its now Friday!

I may have missed the details, but I don't recall you telling us about the "Rails" retail eBay item?

My experience of "Rails" (although admittedly not recent!) is that they are very good at promptly dispatching orders.

More likely to be the GPO, after all, the weather has been a bit rough this week?:yahoo_mini:

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I may have missed the details, but I don't recall you telling us about the "Rails" retail eBay item?

My experience of "Rails" (although admittedly not recent!) is that they are very good at promptly dispatching orders.

More likely to be the GPO, after all, the weather has been a bit rough this week?:yahoo_mini:

Cheers

Paul

Sorry the "Rails" item was mentioned on my other DCC related thread which has more content re the trials and tribulations of securing good running DCC stock

"Rails" have admitted today (but only after I chased) that they haven't dispatched it yet (6 days after payment) due to a computer problem - no compensation offered.

It better be good when it finally gets here!

Edited by halsey
more info given
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I know "SuperQuick" kits are a bit like marmite but I'm a fan ……………….

This is the first one purpose-built for the new layout - loads of work still needed sorting edges and weathering but I've not made this one before and IMHO it has come out pretty well.

My additional tips with these kits - loads of small crocodile clips, rocket glue as its drying speed on card is great and it gives just enough time to adjust things before "grab" sets in, I very often apply it with a very small brush, also a small wallpaper edge roller which is great for flattening parts and gluing folded "tabs" or "lining" parts together 

IMG_0474.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good stuff - from previous pics, I was a bit worried that the platforms might look a bit too narrow, but that looks fine.

Though it looks like it's going to be a long walk up platforms 1 & 2 to get to the bridge to get across to 3 & 4 …….. :wacko:

But perhaps there's a subway at the other end!

Edited by Chimer
Afterthought

1 hour ago, Chimer said:

I was a bit worried that the platforms might look a bit too narrow

My understanding (based on this diagram on the estimable Brian Lamberts's web site, which I feel entirely unqualified to argue against) the minimum distance between the platform edge and a fixed obstruction should be 24mm.  Given that the track gauge in the photo is 16.5mm, the clearances either side of those footbridge staircases look to me to be noticeably below that.

Or maybe I just need to go to Specsavers...

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:43, Zomboid said:

It's built to NYC subway standards. Nothing to see here, move along...

I've been away - just got back - the bridge is only placed for a photo so final position is yet to be decied in favour of location close to station building and width of platforms whch are yet to be cut.

BTW what has happened to the site whilst I've been away I seem to have a different page layout with 30% of my screen (to the RH) being set aside for adverts and a much smaller RMW content display area????????

BFN

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, halsey said:

BTW what has happened to the site whilst I've been away I seem to have a different page layout with 30% of my screen (to the RH) being set aside for adverts and a much smaller RMW content display area????????

BFN

Not on my iPad, it’s not. Is it a setting or an update on your device that’s changed?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, halsey said:

I think it was that way for a day or so while they tested things but they changed it back. Maybe you just need to refresh by hitting Ctrl+F5 (on Windows) to get new style sheets.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ITG said:

Not on my iPad, it’s not. Is it a setting or an update on your device that’s changed?

No idea and I'm not a techy type at all so haven't a clue the laptop has been off for 2 weeks which isn't normally the case BUT nothing updated or changed when I turned it on last night...………... and all other IT is as it was......

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think it was that way for a day or so while they tested things but they changed it back. Maybe you just need to refresh by hitting Ctrl+F5 (on Windows) to get new style sheets.

Tried that it didn't help and I've just tried a shut down and full new start and that doesn't help - its not that I can't access/use the content its just different and NOT in a good way

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, halsey said:

Tried that it didn't help and I've just tried a shut down and full new start and that doesn't help - its not that I can't access/use the content its just different and NOT in a good way

Oh, sorry.

I think there's some discussion about this in the Forum Notices area.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I have to report a disaster - not on the scale of the dreaded virus but in practical (model railway) terms its pretty big for me.

All my (self adhesive) backscenes have given up the ghost and on return from holiday looked dreadful and are now no more...……………………..

Let me say straight away there is a happy ending and the manufacturer (John at Art Printers - I D Backscenes) was only slightly to "blame" and has been brilliant and really gone the extra mile to sort this for me.

I am only really posting this as some advice/warning to others - despite Johns advice/instructions, and IMHO, DONT try to use these scenes without preparing/varnishing/painting the surface beforehand - no matter what that surface may be (in my case brand new marine/exterior ply).

My problem as presented on my return was how to remove/prepare/replace the bubbling creasing backscenes now the layout has progressed so far...………..

John, for a very small contribution from me is replacing FOC the 10m (app £100) of scenes and for an additional £60 is professionally sticking them on to 1mm card sheet before sending them out - this is a service he offers for specific clients dealing direct but is at a much reduced cost here.

I am confident that this will solve the problem and will now give me semi-rigid panels which I will be able to apply leaning across the boards without too much difficulty - suggested fixing method is double sided tape which seems right (spray or wet glue wont be practical) but I would be interested to hear other solutions...……...

Does anyone know of a good thin/2" wide double sided tape that isn't one fix only?? 

Has anyone else on the forum used Johns card solution????

This is a definite round of applause for the little guy serving a niche market well and quickly as most of the "negotiating" was done by email on Sunday!

I now await the finished panels (20 of them app 30"x15") and am in the middle of removing everything in the way which is still not going to be a small job!

The end product will be better and I will be able to tweak the positioning which will be an improvement overall so not all bad...………………….

I will post a couple of photos as this progresses.

Cheers

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All gone now and various background mods carried out as the curved section which was top right has had to be taken away completely as John says these card/boards won't go around curves!

It looks very bare and stark but the messy bit is over - the ply is still covered in a sticky residue but not enough to matter.

IMG_0488.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, halsey said:

Sadly I have to report a disaster - not on the scale of the dreaded virus but in practical (model railway) terms its pretty big for me.

All my (self adhesive) backscenes have given up the ghost and on return from holiday looked dreadful and are now no more...……………………..

Let me say straight away there is a happy ending and the manufacturer (John at Art Printers - I D Backscenes) was only slightly to "blame" and has been brilliant and really gone the extra mile to sort this for me.

I am only really posting this as some advice/warning to others - despite Johns advice/instructions, and IMHO, DONT try to use these scenes without preparing/varnishing/painting the surface beforehand - no matter what that surface may be (in my case brand new marine/exterior ply).

My problem as presented on my return was how to remove/prepare/replace the bubbling creasing backscenes now the layout has progressed so far...………..

John, for a very small contribution from me is replacing FOC the 10m (app £100) of scenes and for an additional £60 is professionally sticking them on to 1mm card sheet before sending them out - this is a service he offers for specific clients dealing direct but is at a much reduced cost here.

I am confident that this will solve the problem and will now give me semi-rigid panels which I will be able to apply leaning across the boards without too much difficulty - suggested fixing method is double sided tape which seems right (spray or wet glue wont be practical) but I would be interested to hear other solutions...……...

Does anyone know of a good thin/2" wide double sided tape that isn't one fix only?? 

Has anyone else on the forum used Johns card solution????

This is a definite round of applause for the little guy serving a niche market well and quickly as most of the "negotiating" was done by email on Sunday!

I now await the finished panels (20 of them app 30"x15") and am in the middle of removing everything in the way which is still not going to be a small job!

The end product will be better and I will be able to tweak the positioning which will be an improvement overall so not all bad...………………….

I will post a couple of photos as this progresses.

Cheers

A lucky escape!

Sorry, Can't readily suggest a source for 2" wide double sided, that is quite wide for that material!

Maybe the dreaded internet?

But a definite cheer for John, and a brilliant demonstration of the benefits of having a good relationship with suppliers. 

Hope it all works out ok?

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

Try sticking a paper/card/tape 'loop' or 'hook' on the back of the substrate, and using that to attach it to the board.  You could slot the board and pull it loop through, or simply drape the loop over the back of the board and tape ito the back of the board.

Velcro might be a bit aggressive, but you just need the knack of parting Velcro without pulling - inserting a credit card works for me.

Or... You could nail them up with track pins.  :D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Kit building underway despite virus and still feeling a bit miffed re my backscenes - everything looks so raw!

Lots of finishing to do but here is a Superquick A2 Country Station Building - substantially modified to fit my station platform configuration.

Happy so far - needs strengthening and then the obvious detailing and weathering...…………..

Have also built two Metcalf tunnel mouths...……………………..

John (ID backscenes) has promised despatch of my backscene replacements next week  so I have been researching double sided tapes and found just the thing from an Industrial Tapes company (Viking Industrial Products Ltd) called perm/peel tape which will allow limited repositioning - they sent me a sample to try and it is VG reasonably priced £5.52/50m roll but there is a min order requirement of 6 so I might have a lot spare (PM me if you want some at cost)

Thank goodness for the railway as our boating looks as though it could be severely restricted this year - certainly our Easter departure now looks premature.

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Edited by halsey
substitued photo to show progress
  • Like 3