"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 11:13, halsey said:

The brewery siding is "curved" because that's how I like it - pure aesthetics nothing else - also the platforms on the curve, rather than the ones through the arch, are for lorries. 

J

And...............its now been straightened!

Whilst I liked the "look" of it it didn't work with the buildings/roads so the track has been freed up and straightened and lose laid - now the building placements and road network needs to be reviewed which I like to do by trying something and then photographing it and reviewing it on my Mac.

Also my latest model - a Metcalfe Engine Shed is now completed ........... I don't think the platform will stay there or if it does it won't be that wide.

"Thanks" Chris!

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2021 at 15:28, halsey said:

My "spare" time is now being shared with another project - a hobby/spare room principally for SWMBO!

The outside is completely finished and watertight but the inside is just insulated with all the remaining fitting out still to complete, its not going to be plush, it will be as authentic/rustic as I can make it - it is definitely not a "glamping" hut.

The railway will continue to progress but mainly at weekends so I'm not disturbing the neighbours banging about in the hut.

IMG_1350 2.JPG

And now the inside is virtually finished as well................

IMG_1386.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I just thought I'd add a couple of photos of the "final" version showing the 009/00 mix and the additional buildings built over the last few weeks.

I'm very pleased with the end results - the Peco streamline 009 live turnouts are proving a bit temperamental the "fine" blades (if that's what they are called) are giving me contact issues the slightest bit of horizontal pressure solves the problem but 3 out of 7 aren't behaving very well

Last photo is a substantially modified part of the small factory set so it differentiates itself from the one I have already and this fits better

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I think that's looking very good.  Cramped and industrial, just right for a bit of narrow gauge railway.  I guess the next step is to bed all the buildings down into the plywood earth?

Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chimer said:

I think that's looking very good.  Cramped and industrial, just right for a bit of narrow gauge railway.  I guess the next step is to bed all the buildings down into the plywood earth?

Cheers, Chris

Next step is probably weathering pre "bedding in" - contemplating general methodology - airbrush or manual brushes - I realise its actually both but do I go for airbrush as it is good and much easier for overall dirt covering - reading up on this and still not sure.

Don't forget the earth isn't plywood its XPS foam........

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had a good 2hr running and cleaning session - but I couldn't work out why I was getting loco wheel derailments on both up and down lines - until I realised that the building I placed in the top LH corner (tunnel mouth and sheep/woodland above) was just fouling the track on its hidden back corner and that elsewhere a cover plate on one of the (horrible) Peco surface turnout motors had become dislodged and needed clipping back in place - problems solved :lol:

Cheers

Edited by halsey
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Just thought I'd post these as the former brewery comes to life as a parcels depot........

and possibly the best £7 I've spent on Hawkesbury to date??..............

"Scratch Aid kits" - I've never used one before but at £7.70 incl postage from eBay I think this is a winner and fantastic vfm.

I was going to finish it but now I'm tempted to adapt the kit to being a "construction site" model as it is so good.

The detail parts for the windows for example are amazing.

All good been doing lots of detailing must have stuck at least 50 signs and adverts around the layout - I'm saving the airbrushing for post Christmas lockdown 

Happy modelling...........

IMG_1440.JPG.cad80cc22bea14276fbda3d98a745e78.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG.966ac9364a726946462b8fbee66e34e0.JPGIMG_1436.JPG.a1d1f8b66f6c62926a91101dd5f935cd.JPGIMG_1434.JPG.b9dea3331d86b38a497ecd171105ddae.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I should hold the question until you've defined all the boundaries of the parcels depot, but if that lorry is leaving the depot through the gatehouse, where's it come from?  Not the yard, as far as I can see .......

Signage looks good!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Perhaps I should hold the question until you've defined all the boundaries of the parcels depot, but if that lorry is leaving the depot through the gatehouse, where's it come from?  Not the yard, as far as I can see .......

Signage looks good!

Ha @Chimer - thanks for keeping me up to the mark!

The signage has now been changed on the entrance arch and now makes sense for smaller vans to access the inner yard on an in/out basis and larger vans can use the larger side road which also serves the Nissan Hut "depot" - remembering that this road "arrives" on to the layout in the bottom right of the first photo parallel to the 009 track.

OK now :)?

See new photos

J

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To be fair the last bit of the 009 "design" has only just been completed - this isn't  an issue for me at all I'm just happy to be here and keeping others entertained

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We're designing the layout of the parcels depot now Phil ....... not many openings for track planning lately.

Whichever thread this winds up in, I think I'd rotate the gatehouse maybe 20 degrees anti-clockwise and bring it forward a bit.  But defining the perimeter of the depot with walls or fencing will make things clearer to my mind.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chimer said:

I think I'd rotate the gatehouse maybe 20 degrees anti-clockwise and bring it forward a bit.  But defining the perimeter of the depot with walls or fencing will make things clearer to my mind.

Hi Chris,

Good thoughts........

I have now done that as much as possible bearing in mind the need for space for the "crossing" to the new under construction engine shed and "arches" and the fact that I didn't want the building layout to be too geometric.

The other issue is having a building that tall at the front of the baseboards makes leaning over to work or re-rail wagons trickier - no amount of CAD will tell you that :).

After I took the first photo I had a re-think re the brewery sign - better now I think and perhaps a bit more "period" 

TIP? - throughout this whole (2 layout) 6 year journey I consistently find taking a photo of a scene and looking at it away from the layout does make decision making easier - it works for me at least

Thanks as always

J

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a general question................... 

Is it OK to place a derelict coach on "land" or are they always on tracks?

if on tracks can these be "disconnected" or must they be part of the layout

Obviously the general placement will be in a sidings environment its just the detail I want to understand.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If it's got its wheels it'll probably be on track, but grounded coach bodies weren't uncommon.

No idea whether any track that it's on would be connected. I imagine that might be era dependent; these days they'd probably not be, but I don't know how long ago that started.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well.....................if you are reading this Happy Christmas and thanks for your contributions comments this year.

You might wonder what I've been up to lately - I decided to re-model the coach sidings/station entrance area on the layout to make the coach sidings less intrusive (shorter) and to make it busier with buildings and cars - the truth is I never really liked the use of this space and this for me is a much better solution and more balanced.

The last photo is a reminder of what went before.....................

I decided to use a Superquick garage kit as the focal point and it seems to have worked (its not quite finished and still needs its pumps) - having converted to Metcalfe I'm not such a fan of Superquick although IMHO they do look a bit more weathered/older when finished without further work, they are also not so strong and not as absorbing to build but I guess the clue is in the name - this took me app 15hrs.

Again in my view Metcalfe and Superquick don't seem to mix well in the same scene so I keep them apart but perhaps that's because they aren't weathered in yet.

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG.5f75776abdc7ac1c7bdfd25231924ca3.jpeg

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the redesigned corner area looks much better.  Iirc, the original long carriage sidings were included to allow a variety of coaching stock, given there is no FY where extra rakes could hide.  So provided what you've retained gives you enough parking spaces for the coaches you've now decided you need, it's a good move all round.

I'm still sure there's got to be a better way of losing the main line in that corner than the tunnel mouth rising out of a flat field, though I'm boogered if I can think of one ......,

Happy New Year!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year to you too,

The main line treatment that you have always struggled with does work and look well in the flesh, after all, all models benefit from some imagination and licence.

BFN

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New year chaps......................

I've spent the last day or so nearly finishing 1 of 4 Metcalfe "terraced backs" to replace the Superquick "terrace fronts" I have moved to the station access road.

I've not built these before so I went for stone as its a rural scene and the terrace when completed needs to "sit" with a couple of Superquick brick buildings.

I have a feeling the Superquicks might end up on Ebay  but I do like the corner shop model as it sits well in the space.

Here's a question for the experts - why are Metcalfes red bricks bigger than Superquick red bricks?

Hope you have all had a good holiday period and have managed to spend some time enjoying our absorbing hobby.

Cheers

J

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I started a small side topic on engine shed areas but it didn't take off so I will revert back to here with my progress to date

I am very happy with this so far - note the 3 storey shop front has had a bit of "kit bashing" as the roof was far too posh and needed simplifying from the original.............there will be a terrace of 4 red brick terraced house in front of these shops to create a "Coronation Street"/Arches styled scene - the engine shed tracks have now been shortened and some bits bought with a single engine shed to be built - I bought a Hornby Water Tower off ebay but I really don't like plastic kits so I am trying to find a card alternative Metcalfe used to make one but its now discontinued..............PO227 have you got one??

FYI the building in the second photo to the left of the engine shed is one of those "scratch aid" kits on eBay which I think are excellent value and "persuade" me into believing I can scratch build which is good.

I had all of the required finishing materials to hand so that was also good.

J

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The ends of half relief buildings against backscenes are hard to disguise - but perhaps you don't need to .....

1203665089_LowRelief.jpg.eb937b5f94b4873dafc671ec65cf33a7.jpg

Courtesy of the prototype for everything department .....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Chimer said:

The ends of half relief buildings against backscenes are hard to disguise - but perhaps you don't need to .....

1203665089_LowRelief.jpg.eb937b5f94b4873dafc671ec65cf33a7.jpg

Courtesy of the prototype for everything department .....

Ha, that photo gives us all "permission" to do anything!

Very good and well found.

On the layout trees can cover/disguise a multitude of issues

J

Edited by halsey
  • Agree 1