"Hawkesbury" - the engine shed area is no more.....

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Red switched section now completed so the bridge has now been brought into use (and checks out) AND the first loco is now running around the room - major milestone, very pleased - a big thanks to all involved in getting me this far.

Black switched section to complete tomorrow so the goal of two trains running around the room is finally achieved - I will then sort/investigate setting the DCC parameters of my small stable and gradually run them in after a long lay off through most of 2019.

Have just amused myself reviewing my first topic/thread and seeing where I was 4 years ago with the last layout and it was a similar position (first loco ran Jan 10th 2016) but the layout looks so much better in terms of proportions, use of "large radius" points and curves etc etc.

So I guess over those 4 years I must have listened (rare for me), learned something and made some progress...……….:rolleyes:

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• halsey changed the title to Revising an old layout - DCC wiring done - points and "final" track work next
  • RMweb Gold

I am very conscious of having two topics running which could easily overlap if I'm not careful so have decided (if its even my decision to make) to keep very specific DCC questions (e.g decoders, programming issues etc) in the other topic and layout development, modelling and track issues in here.

I think this will also help others looking for help for the 2 topics to retain their focus

Hope that makes sense and a heads up I am having DCC/Loco issues so please input into my other topic if you can help...………………….

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - I didn't know you had that other thread running until just now, and having gone and skim-read some of it I'm so glad about that!  You got so much contradictory "advice" in the first few pages I'm surprised you didn't ditch the lot and take up golf …….. I won't be making inputs with regard to DCC issues as I've no experience with DCC operation, but will keep half an eye open as some of the comments about wiring, etc., look pretty dubious, or possibly irrelevant given the way you're going.  Happy New Year!!

Cheers, Chris

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Blimey - I didn't know you had that other thread running until just now, and having gone and skim-read some of it I'm so glad about that!  You got so much contradictory "advice" in the first few pages I'm surprised you didn't ditch the lot and take up golf …….. I won't be making inputs with regard to DCC issues as I've no experience with DCC operation, but will keep half an eye open as some of the comments about wiring, etc., look pretty dubious, or possibly irrelevant given the way you're going.  Happy New Year!!

Cheers, Chris

Tenacity is my middle name :rolleyes:

Agreed the "advice" was conflicting but as always well intentioned

The wiring doesn't seem to be (isn't) the issue as it all seems to check out - decoders and programming is the next challenge - I'm not totally "sold" as yet

BUT its possibly significant that the (2) locos converted professionally seem OK and 30% of mine (i.e. 1 out of 3) aren't??

DITTO!!

• RMweb Premium

"Not totally sold" is a tad worrying - I reckon you'd need a minimum of 14 sections to run this to maximum effect with DC cab control.  Which would require retro-fitting a lot more of those IRJs that you dislike so much :wacko: …... and the associated wiring and switchery.  Going through this exercise with you has made me seriously consider DCC for my last great project, though I've always said I wouldn't …… and I am quite sure I would contract out the conversion of my loco stable if I did go that way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Chimer said:

"Not totally sold" is a tad worrying - I reckon you'd need a minimum of 14 sections to run this to maximum effect with DC cab control.  Which would require retro-fitting a lot more of those IRJs that you dislike so much :wacko: …... and the associated wiring and switchery.  Going through this exercise with you has made me seriously consider DCC for my last great project, though I've always said I wouldn't …… and I am quite sure I would contract out the conversion of my loco stable if I did go that way.

AND.........………..that's probably where I will end up.

Only 7 locos in my stable 2 already professionally converted - I bought everything DCC from the same place deliberately to establish a relationship (albeit postal) so 1 more is going back to the same place this week as they acknowledge that decoder does appear to be faulty - depending on that outcome I may just bite the bullet and send the rest back with "their" decoders and let them fit them - only £40/loco which isn't the end of the world!

Don't worry some benefits are already apparent and have already been realised so I will keep the faith...………..

BFN

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All 5 Locos now serviced - the DMU was a challenge - DCC now working well and as it should be on all but for the one with the "faulty" decoder (which has now gone back for review).

Now sorting my 11 motorised points (peco std surface motors) and DIY control panel after which, once all re-checked, I will glue down track (not turnouts) with PVA sparingly applied from above, which I trialled in the hidden workshop area and has worked well.

I have realised that I haven't used my Hornby DCC point clips - as I already own them are they a good idea even if just belt and braces or should I leave them off?

Cheers 

J

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it after some very quick research, if you have fitted droppers to every siding the point clips would only be belt and braces, as all they do is bypass the automatic isolation of the sidings which you (probably) don't want for DCC operation.  So you'd just be insuring against one of your soldered joints failing …..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

All wiring now done including 11 Peco point motors and their switch panel - very pleased with my conduit solution - tidy and relatively easy even with my age related issues but I'm still VERY glad its done - like Rod Stewart wiring isn't a love of mine but I recognise it has to be done well and very carefully :rolleyes:.

Just ordered some card kits from Freestone Models so back to stuff I enjoy more...………...

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

• RMweb Premium

You're really cracking on at pace!  Great news your point wiring is up and running, though for the life of me I can't equate the two smaller diagrams on the control box with the layout plan - I think I've worked out the top one OK, if the 3 switches top left are for the run of points leading to platform 4 and the carriage sidings?  

Happy New modelling Year!

• RMweb Gold

Your interpretation of the top group is correct and is mainly electrified for access reasons the bottom group is the "main line" points to the left of the station or if you like "below" the station building.

It was a bit a bit of a slog but has worked well and it feels good to be done with.

Ditto

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chimer said:

You're really cracking on at pace!  Great news your point wiring is up and running, though for the life of me I can't equate the two smaller diagrams on the control box with the layout plan - I think I've worked out the top one OK, if the 3 switches top left are for the run of points leading to platform 4 and the carriage sidings?  

Happy New modelling Year!

You are right - well spotted - the switch layout on the bottom isn't right - I decided to electrify the far left point as an afterthought as I could reach it very easily but it didn't make operational sense and I placed the switch on the wrong line! I can live with it the diagram is wrong but in use it feels OK :mad_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First proper day "playing trains" really enjoying myself 

I love these things - glad I put the effort in to research and finding them - they work really well and look good now but when weathered into a ballasted setting in my view just the job so long as you can reach them easily

IMG_0355.JPG

Just been playing with models to hand to identify the location for the canal wharf (Chimer note it will be alongside/parallel to track) I think this will work well with a tunnel mouth cut into the brick arch - I'll leave it in place and see how it feels over this week.

IMG_0357.JPG.a03b3570dc84eaed43dd7efd7ffe2baf.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Decision made to go further (not irrevocable) with basic canal modelling it feels right and is in the right place to be believable - for future info the "blue" substrate is the XPS foam which will obviously be painted over time but will be very visible once track ballasting cork profiling is underway...………….. 

IMG_0365.JPG

Once the "water" is created (resin) and the excess cork removed it should lift the boats to the right level in relation to the wharf sides

Edited by halsey

• RMweb Premium

That looks eminently believable, the canal tunnel idea is very clever I think.  Thinking horse-torically :mocking_mini:, are you going to have a towpath through the tunnel, or is the roof going to be low enough for the bargees to "leg it"?  Or was the canal covered over at some later date, after all barges were powered?

Like the point levers too.  If you put a railwayworker figure next to one of them, does it look as though he's big and strong enough to shift it?

Keep on cracking on!

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a progress report...………….

All track now glued down - excess cork removed to create track height - and my version of "ballasting" now completed, this wont suit all tastes but I'm happy with it as it is fairly quick and presents far fewer challenges to the track work esp points and when "landscaped" up to its edges with grass/gravel/coal dust etc effects it works well - its a bit of a faff cleaning off the track after spraying (7 cans of Humbrol dark earth acrylic) but ensures a real focus on getting it clean and operational after the build process - a day or so detailed work to come doing that ……………….

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've followed this thread with much interest. It's interesting to see how layout plans develop, and this has been no exception. It has seemed to move on at great pace since I last visited and there are a couple of aspects of the latest v6 that I wonder might just cause operating concerns/irritation/problems as they stand over the long term. I know this might be too late now seeing how a lot of the track has been laid but I feel that having all movements to the engine shed and the goods yard via the shortish goods headshunt could be a real bottleneck.

I would therefore suggest that, perhaps, having it connect with the shed spur to form a loop might be something to consider as per the revised plan below. Another crossover at the lower end of the platform road to the goods road might also be beneficial. Either, or both, would I think prove useful in the long run.

113582245_revisedv6.jpg.7158b5a36b2dc5dc62a603a1ca7d0b5b.jpg

Izzy

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I've followed this thread with much interest. It's interesting to see how layout plans develop, and this has been no exception. It has seemed to move on at great pace since I last visited and there are a couple of aspects of the latest v6 that I wonder might just cause operating concerns/irritation/problems as they stand over the long term. I know this might be too late now seeing how a lot of the track has been laid but I feel that having all movements to the engine shed and the goods yard via the shortish goods headshunt could be a real bottleneck.

I would therefore suggest that, perhaps, having it connect with the shed spur to form a loop might be something to consider as per the revised plan below. Another crossover at the lower end of the platform road to the goods road might also be beneficial. Either, or both, would I think prove useful in the long run.

113582245_revisedv6.jpg.7158b5a36b2dc5dc62a603a1ca7d0b5b.jpg

Izzy

Thanks for this and your continuing interest - it is too late for now - time will tell if you were right!

(Edit) I think there is more modelling interest without these mods leaving just a little more space for buildings service facilities etc certainly the headshunt mod doesn't work for me

Cheers

Edited by halsey
more info given

• RMweb Gold

I've finally done all the cleaning up and I now have trains running very smoothly (for the moment) - I had fun staging these shots just playing with bits of scenery and buildings...………………….

I will colour wash the "blue" foam with grass and coal yard background paint colours next...……………………………………...

The top photo is the top left hand corner of the layout with the headshunt in the foreground - loco going the "right" way 

The bottom photo is the entrance to the under workbench covered loop to/from the bridge (bottom right on the layout plan) this will in time be a tunnel mouth with the retaining wall/arches retaining the canal basin sides -loco going the "wrong" way

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Something of an anniversary today - see below - 3 months and app 300hrs later...…………….all working and all background painting completed so I unpacked the buildings from the old layout and started laying them out for real - feels good...………..very pleased - celebrated by ordering a new Loco - a Heljan W&M Railbus.

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally got around to putting my Lanarkshire Brake Wagon "track cleaning" conversion to good use - I've only had it for 3 years!

It works brilliantly and makes cleaning easy and fun - FYI I used it without the retaining bar as its much easier to apply the IPA to the roller (not the beer as that would be sticky - drink that instead :drink_mini:)

IMG_0440.JPG

Edited by halsey
  • Informative/Useful 1

• halsey changed the title to Revising an old layout - DCC wiring done - curved platforms- help!!!
  • RMweb Gold

Getting stuck with scratch-building curved platfoms.

What distance from the track to the platform edge - what height off the base board - what is the best material to use - tried XPS foam and foam board neither good so a bit stuck.

Is there an established medium out there - these are long and curved over their whole length (app 4ft) !

Just looking for tips - happy to "experiment/play" even though today has been a bit disappointing...…………..thankfully time isn't my enemy :rolleyes:

Cheers