Australian NSWGR D50 Class Locomotive - Best Place to Buy

SDJR7F88

Hi all.

Bit of a random request, but I'm currently building a up my WW1 Railway Operating Division (ROD) Fleet, and have come across a model of the Australian NSWGR D50 Class 2-8-0 in H0 Scale by Eureka Models. A number of the class survived during the Great War and it would be a nice model to add to the growing fleet.

I've done some search's and they seem pretty hard to find now, and naturally most are on Australian sites. Being a small run model, the models are all ready quite pricey, plus postage, and I would imagine there would be an import charge too. 

My questions are one, is it a model worth the price and two, has anyone imported anything from Australia in the past an know of the rough costs involved?

Many thanks 

Callum

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The model would certainly be equally as good anything you can buy in the UK - but as they are limited run they command a premium price. Often, the only way to purchase is via pre-order.

In short, buying from Australia (into the UK) is expensive.

When you buy 10%GSD is deducted then postage is added (convert to sterling) then VAT is added here and a handling charge(!!??) .. it soon mounts up.

I model the SAR in the UK and 70% I've bought from Aus - a bit from eBay and I was lucky to have a couple of trips to Adelaide - where I more or less bought the shop!

I now only buy if its something I "really" want or I find something in the UK - which is rare.

Unless the D50 is something you really couldn't live without, or quite frankly, money isn't a big deal, reluctantly, I wouldn't bother.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Callum,

I don't own one myself, but there's a few blokes in my club who have Eureka 50 class models. They're certainly nice looking, but they seem to be a bit patchy in regards to build quality and running. One model only managed two circuits of the layout before it shed its rods on one side. 

As an alternative you might consider the Footplate/DJH white metal kit, or one of the older Bergs brass models.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, dullsteamer said:

G'day Callum,

I don't own one myself, but there's a few blokes in my club who have Eureka 50 class models. They're certainly nice looking, but they seem to be a bit patchy in regards to build quality and running. One model only managed two circuits of the layout before it shed its rods on one side. 

As an alternative you might consider the Footplate/DJH white metal kit, or one of the older Bergs brass models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the info, will give those a look

• Like 1