What's on your 3mm workbench

After the chedi my next job was turning a Kibri water tower into something a bit more like the one at Thonburi loco depot. The pics here are of my effort flanked by what I started with and what the real one looks like

image.png.f65fb995712dffdbc3fc5d3524b5f96f.pngwatertower.jpg.60aec0aef253596d542b8b6e5da4db47.jpgwatertower_real.jpg.11e39e2b3c0600e0e757e5403cb7698f.jpg

For my next project I am turning to rolling stock. I have a Helliwell motor bogie which I have hacked to suit 9mm gauge, a load of side frame castings of something modern-ish and three 3D printed bodies from Shapeways. Time to put that lot together to make an SRT Sprinter set. Thai Sprinters are in fact BREL built Class 158s. Obviously to meter gauge rather than standard and with some detail differences, most notably the doors and the fact there are no bellows to the walkways between carriages. But because they are basically 158s I was able to find a body done on Shapeways and persuade the creator to do a 3mm scale version - well actually someone else had done so already - and make the mods to churn out a Thai version.

I may be a little while before I report back.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

My lockdown workbench has shifted to building a Cambrian Railways "Seaham" class 2-4-0T tank, something I've been interested in for a long time. Last October I had PPD do the etches for both body and chassis, and now's a good time to give it a go.

I've started a thread under the Railways of Wales section describing the build:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155384-building-a-cambrian-seaham-in-3mmft-scale/

Nigel

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Cambrian Seaham 2-4-0T has reached a suitable place for a pause; I built most of the body then did the chassis. Here's a pic of it under test:

g1020513.jpg.683fbd8ad255a3ead5a458defc5face8.jpg

So I've returned to do a bit more on the layout. As mentioned last March, I'd spilt some Mekpak over the station throat trackwork, gumming up a couple of points. By fiddling with the points I managed to get them to move. However not well enough for my liking, and I'd resigned myself to taking them apart. On returning to the layout I gave them another go, and to my surprise they worked fine :) My guess is that the underlying MDF had expanded a bit, but leaving it for several months in a warm room restored things to shape. Whatever, another job not needing doing!

Next thing is to finish the groundwork around the bridge. I'd been using Woodland Scenics Mold-a-Scene plaster, and wasn't that happy with it, so was going to switch to Lightweight Hydrocal, or Polyfiller. But I hadn't got around to buying any, so I decided to give the plaster another go, and get things done. Still not happy with the plaster; it's fairly coarse, not great to apply, dries too quick and is a bit crumbly. Here's the current state:

m1020514.jpg.9d97129ce5f47ab384361be11f5d27fc.jpg

I'll slosh some paint over it and see how it does.

Nigel

Edited by NCB
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

"it's fairly coarse, not great to apply, dries too quick, and is a bit crumbly"

This is the classic description of what is known as "dead plaster" Caused by the powder gradually absorbing water from the atmosphere, and also all plasters of whatever sort have only  a truly active life of about 12 months.

They can be used after that time, but will never set properly. Not too important for a model railway, but try doing it on a partition wall!!

Best, Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Spotlc said:

"it's fairly coarse, not great to apply, dries too quick, and is a bit crumbly"

This is the classic description of what is known as "dead plaster" Caused by the powder gradually absorbing water from the atmosphere, and also all plasters of whatever sort have only  a truly active life of about 12 months.

They can be used after that time, but will never set properly. Not too important for a model railway, but try doing it on a partition wall!!

Best, Mike

Ah!!! This plaster must be about 6 years old and the packet has been left open :(  That explains it.  Will probably do for my purposes.

• RMweb Premium

Been sloshing some paint on the plaster and surrounds:

m1020515.jpg.8799da92681d4937c039f948587b17df.jpg

The bank is Tamyia earth touched up with Humbrol earth. The roadway (not visible in this shot) is Green Scenes textured paint, probably Yard Dirt but the colour doesn't matter as it and the bank will get some dilute washes applied to get things to blend in. The fence is a mixture of Humbrol earth and sea grey. I like blending acrylics and they are more pleasant to apply than enamels.

Some mixed ground scatter will be applied to the bank and roadway sides.

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much to my surprise I got some wagon time on Saturday and the mojo said sort out those freightliner flats - these have been residing in a box that went to a Glos group meeting in the BC period... but now with a good 8 hours faffing and wafting spray cans have got to a much near finishing phase give to 2022....  Needs couplings, correct wheels throughout and transfers - I was thinking of using the N gauge FGA/ FFA from Railtec having found the transfers are really crisp from Steve.  

113635462_TTwagons01022021001.jpg.212798df17d60dd910f09920a0cb4cce.jpg

I know it should be 5 but a bogie retaining nut came unsoldered on an FFA - it is captive so reapairs .. an oh moment..

364917757_TTwagons01022021006.jpg.d266b8dc14c0b544a3c277908182c66e.jpg

A quick shot of most of the rake on Chipping Compton to give an "in the field" view.  The five car rake is too long for the layout. The fact file I found on these does say the plan was for 15 car rakes, but modified to 5 and in later days some inners converted to outers and three ended up double ended for a Far North Scotland flow with wagon tucked into a passenger working..  

BY the GS is a part built FBV that was glued up at the  group meet in a time long ago and really needs buffers  and couplings and a splash of paint and grot - give it five years !

I have got a couple of resin 20 foot boxes but have asked one of the scenic firms about a lazer cut 40 foot box shrunk off a 4mm version. Not the BR internal smooth side but a ribbed ISO one - lots ran in plain grubby livery so some sort of large 2mm or small 4mm  decals to finish  will become the loads and add needed weight and hide the lack of brakes !       

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

On with the layout. I spread some Woodland Scenics scatter over the earth-painted areas, then, a new one for me, used some Deluxe Materials Ballast Bond to fix it. This comes with a very fine applicator which makes it easy to put the stuff where you want it. BUT... not happy with the result:

m1020517.jpg.d7169939bf14b371ec42b89ac6ecac7f.jpg

m1020518.jpg.ba9a0a3f35550ac0577dbe50611143e6.jpg

The glue appears to react with the acrylics I used as a base ground colour, and darkens it considerably. Never had this before. I'm thinking of painting over it again, adding more ground cover, and using matte medium or some other PVA adhesive to fix it.

Any ideas?

Nigel

Ballast Magic caused us major problems on the Great Model Railway Challenge. We ballasted the track on the second evening with this stuff but instead of setting the goo seeped into the pivots for the lock gates and gummed them up. Chris had to disassemble, clean and re-assemble and just about achieved it before the recording started for the final judging. We managed to keep the panic off camera though :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've only ever used slightly diluted PVA for an intitial fix for scatter and then used non-scented hairspray to fix in any additional layers. Bushes and WS foliage materials being stuck down with neat PVA. I think that I did use a branded product when I applied some areas of static grass to a now scrapped 7mm layout down at the Leeds club, which to be honest just looked like PVA, I'll see if I can find the bottle.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Grey Pullman on its way to being reversed blue grey to upset the purists !! (sorry !)  Worsley works brass masterpiece and A friends castings for the nose as ever slumbering in a box got a filler and primer waft on Wednesday.  A couple of pics to entertain/ scare / whatever. loads to sort out bu at least brass is protected  for a while.  

73815783_TTpullman05022021004.jpg.7e409700a3d2f3d2b390e9d5d88a26c3.jpg

Two half trains side by side, lack of wheels a bit obvious

1029291944_TTpullman05022021007.jpg.aba07c553745b07cf550f3bee28ca520.jpgCruel close up dept. The not so eagle eyed will note one car has wrong distribution of roof panels, should check photos better and of course done on differing days and then penny dropped with both firmly glued on.. Great kit of bits and took a bit of thought to bend it all up but the cast ends a total project saver.

In back ground is the weighty MK2 tomb on these diesel darlings/ cinderellas.  

This project should rumble on during lock down 4.2 at least  so tune in 2031 and it might be almost finished.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, whart57 said:

Ballast Magic caused us major problems on the Great Model Railway Challenge. We ballasted the track on the second evening with this stuff but instead of setting the goo seeped into the pivots for the lock gates and gummed them up. Chris had to disassemble, clean and re-assemble and just about achieved it before the recording started for the final judging. We managed to keep the panic off camera though :)

This was Ballast Bond rather than Ballast Magic, but equally bad. Used to use stuff like Resin W diluted a bit with no problems, more recently matte medium which is what I think the Americans tend to use.

I've sloshed more Humbrol Earth over the ground and will have another go using matte medium.

Nigel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a part King kit I was sent when bidding on a King kit.

I am replacing the missing bits, like a new cylinder and outside axle box on the chassis, and bought a new chimney and safety valve cover.

DSCF0938.JPG.add05ceed5633a6361d598e885b4f696.JPG

I have used black plasticard to replace the saddle side that had broken off and made a new base for the valve covers.

I also glued, filled and filed of the dummy handrails leaving the 4 cone ejector.

DSCF0939.JPG.341b08aa60215f389dcff55df0495b33.JPG

I have also stripped, cleaned and tested the donor chassis, that I bought with a damaged castle top, as a 'spare and repair' and runs like a dream.

Simon.

3mm Society member.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Wagons yesterday and today for Chipping Compton.  The FBV had wire soldered for the horizontal join - a lucky egg custard tart tin foil case came in handy as  heat shield, egg custard was very good too! All given a primer and need more wheels, transfers ordered from 3SMR - should give plenty of choice, modelmaster ones it seems. couplings next.          While not all in these two phots  10 wagons worked for the layout and a COVAB and some sides for more LWB airbraked wagons got a bit of a push..

377212451_TTwagons1522021004.jpg.06be0c9dbb7a118df55cc7e456f69683.jpg

207923460_TTwagons1522021002.jpg.32e2ce054736393b069264e2d4c418f9.jpg

Eclectic mix of tat in rear with 3D print 73/9 in N CIE Bubbles in N and the corner of a CIE 20 foot planked flat. I do seem to have some odd cloud scapes - a 3D backscene was not what I had intended - one day I will change it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2021 at 18:37, Robert Shrives said:

The FBV had wire soldered for the horizontal join - a lucky egg custard tart tin foil case came in handy as  heat shield, egg custard was very good too!

377212451_TTwagons1522021004.jpg.06be0c9dbb7a118df55cc7e456f69683.jpg

Hello Robert,

Really liking the brake van, I have 2 on my own WB at the moment (although they've been there for a while now) that are at the handrailing stage. I didn't fully understand your reference to the foil wrapper on first reading last week but having now re-read it I understand, presuming that this is the Society plastic kit and not the ex F&S etched one. Very brave if I may say so. :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Yes slipping the foil behind prevented an risk of a hole or burn.  - A tip I use when faffing with the wiring inside plastic bodied locos.  Yes Soc kit  but for the next one I have the 3mm chassis etch which I think is a Fencehouses 2mm blown up a bit and is a work of art in its own right.  

Hope to take photos later of latest progress.    

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress, Chipping Compton back in use , railbus on test - Lennyapplegreen body from Lincoln models on Halling chassis from 3SMR and bright ideas on mounting by Bob Brown.    

285570888_TTworks2102021001.jpg.b3656a8076d36c8c93af7fcabd4ff26b.jpg

This picture shows a vehicle for a 3mm Tadpole -bodies from Simon on Shapeways - good range  of body only stuff - eclectic !  Painted in Brunswick green and due small yellow ends - plenty to do but look how the printing process has messed with the areas around the door which does not show on the render on Shapeways.! 

766355431_TTworks2102021005.jpg.d8996670f8974f136910d6bc56eeda47.jpg  

25 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

look how the printing process has messed with the areas around the door which does not show on the render on Shapeways.! 

That was how my 2 coaches were from Shapeways and it put me off them for good. With mine there was no other material option so it was do the best you can. The printing was as hard as rock, all over not just around the doors, and you could not file it or sand it down, personally very disappointed but hopefully you will manage to do something. 

Garry 

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 1