What's on your 3mm workbench

Blimey. It looks like I may have actually finished something for a change - a Bruce Smetham class 37 resin body kit. This was the last loco produced before Bruce passed away in 2016.

1434770237_22IMG_4520.JPG.0523b1c36ec22a41985abe10d8053cd5.JPG

Bruce designed this kit for motorisation using either the 3mm Society diesel chassis kit, or Tri-ang A1A power bogies.

I went for the dual Tri-ang power bogies option, so with two cast whitemetal fuel tanks it is heavy. I used glue n' glaze for the window inserts. Not used it before and not particularly impressed, it dries clear but too concave for flat windscreens.

1753428680_23IMG_4413.JPG.cb6cbc5124a419e414caa3aea40b8a6c.JPG

She's got two Tri-ang motor bogies fitted into the body using press-studs and wired together to maximise pick-up continuity across the 4 wheelsets.

24.JPG.cf661bd76a08b35d7f0f93bea4f25259.JPG

The original Tri-ang bogie (the one on the left) Mazak frame needs to be quite drastically slimmed-down with a lot of material being carefully removed with a bench or belt grinder.

1216759507_25IMG_4419.JPG.c00da94d0c25a42bd2e0c5d9d4fa300a.JPG

I've got a couple of these resin body 37 kits going spare, drop me a PM if anyone's interested.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Blimey. It looks like I may have actually finished something for a change - a Bruce Smetham class 37 resin body kit. This was the last loco produced before Bruce passed away in 2016.

1434770237_22IMG_4520.JPG.0523b1c36ec22a41985abe10d8053cd5.JPG

Bruce designed this kit for motorisation using either the 3mm Society diesel chassis kit, or Tri-ang A1A power bogies.

I went for the dual Tri-ang power bogies option, so with two cast whitemetal fuel tanks it is heavy. I used glue n' glaze for the window inserts. Not used it before and not particularly impressed, it dries clear but too concave for flat windscreens.

1753428680_23IMG_4413.JPG.cb6cbc5124a419e414caa3aea40b8a6c.JPG

She's got two Tri-ang motor bogies fitted into the body using press-studs and wired together to maximise pick-up continuity across the 4 wheelsets.

24.JPG.cf661bd76a08b35d7f0f93bea4f25259.JPG

The original Tri-ang bogie (the one on the left) Mazak frame needs to be quite drastically slimmed-down with a lot of material being carefully removed with a bench or belt grinder.

1216759507_25IMG_4419.JPG.c00da94d0c25a42bd2e0c5d9d4fa300a.JPG

I've got a couple of these resin body 37 kits going spare, drop me a PM if anyone's interested.

I always use the Tri-ang A1A bogies for Co-Co's and also in my Peak, 40's and 10201 locos.

Garry

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 13:32, whart57 said:

Time to return to the workbench.

The 3mm section is currently very busy with a carriage building exercise, the aim being to complete the seven etches I had in stages from folded up to still lying in the flatpack drawer. Today three have returned from the paint shop in the shed with the main external livery applied. The next stage is to bring the remaining four to the painting stage and take them out to the workbench in the shed where the airbrush is set up. And to do that before the real winter sets in.

3mmWorkbench_140721.JPG.a9b0f40fecfa8be2a7e177c4d13bcd3b.JPG

Another who relies on an outdoor shed for airbrushing!  My problem is that my shed blew down a couple of years ago (it can get quite windy 600' above the Rheidol valley)!  Alternative arrangements are in planning but it could take quite a few months to put them in effect.

Nigel

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCB said:

Another who relies on an outdoor shed for airbrushing!  My problem is that my shed blew down a couple of years ago (it can get quite windy 600' above the Rheidol valley)!  Alternative arrangements are in planning but it could take quite a few months to put them in effect.

Nigel

Can get windy in dales.....but that's just in the smallest room in the house!...he he

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

While not strictly 3mm:ft, I do have a couple ol the very nice 1:120 scale SDV Models České Dráhy bogie van kits on the bench, for use on my Nové Město na Nedostatku micro branch terminus. 

IMG_20201213_133321.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 3

Non of this is my work yet, this is how I bought it and is a nice looking little loco. The plastic bodies are distorted and splitting being very brittle so I think very, very old. It has been made to fit a modified Tri-ang chassis so I am going to look at replacing the bodies with nickel silver ones as I have plenty of this material.  The Jinty chassis has had its outer wheels moved inwards but needs better coupling rods and some valve gear. The cylinders interestingly have been made from balsa wood for insulation purposes but I will look at plastic with some etched valve gear.

Garry

IMG_20210724_223837.jpg

• Like 4

Something very exciting has just landed on my workbench, namely the first test kit of a B6 point in 14.2mm gauge from British Finescale. This follows the principles of their OO and EM gauge turnouts with a 3D printed sleeper base with chairs into which the rails are fed. Planed switch blades, cast crossing and tiebar are also provided.

The postie has literally just put it into my hot and sweaty so I haven't had time yet to do a detailed examination. When I do I will open a new thread on this Forum to describe it further.

• Like 6

On 29/07/2021 at 13:38, whart57 said:

Something very exciting has just landed on my workbench, namely the first test kit of a B6 point in 14.2mm gauge from British Finescale. This follows the principles of their OO and EM gauge turnouts with a 3D printed sleeper base with chairs into which the rails are fed. Planed switch blades, cast crossing and tiebar are also provided.

The postie has literally just put it into my hot and sweaty so I haven't had time yet to do a detailed examination. When I do I will open a new thread on this Forum to describe it further.

Wow....hurry up with pics....don't tease

It's like taking a kid to a sweet shop on a Sunday knowing its shut! .

Is this a beta test or product run?

3 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Oops in my excitement didn't read 'test kit' still good news!

3 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I'll try and get something posted over the weekend. Two snags:

• we didn't send Wayne at BF enough rail and I have run out myself - but some is on the way
  • I have grandchildren visiting ..........

This is the first user test example. All being well we will go from there onto a wider test and assuming continued acceptance and Committee backing I hope that we will be in a position to sell to members before Christmas

• Like 1

Just now, whart57 said:

I'll try and get something posted over the weekend. Two snags:

• we didn't send Wayne at BF enough rail and I have run out myself - but some is on the way
  • I have grandchildren visiting ..........

This is the first user test example. All being well we will go from there onto a wider test and assuming continued acceptance and Committee backing I hope that we will be in a position to sell to members before Christmas

All good news...with the ready to play 08 14.2mm comming ....better get some ply glued together ...

Here is one of Lincoln Locos Peak bodies although this was a resin moulded one before they produced the 3D prints. It is powered by two Tri-ang A1A bogies and is a lovely runner.  The E2 is an old Bec Kit on a Jinty chassis. You cannot beat these old Tri-ang chassis's for running and reliability.

Garry

• Like 4