What's on your 3mm workbench

47 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Do you try giving it a coat with the colour you are masking first before starting on the colour you want to paint the unmasked area. That seems to work for me.

That sounds quite a good idea but putting a small yellow panel on any colour I would have thought hard as yellow does not like covering anything. When I worked at the carriage works the yellow on the fronts always showed the base colour. The painters always said it was the worst colour in any livery done. It became a decent solid colour when we went to the two pack stove enamelled paints. 

Garry 

• Like 1

Red is another one that doesn't cover well, or at least the signal reds and the like. I always paint the yellow ends of my diesels and coaching stock first for that reason. Otherwise you need to undercoat, a dense red-oxide for reds, a good solid matt white for yellows.

32 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Red is another one that doesn't cover well, or at least the signal reds and the like. I always paint the yellow ends of my diesels and coaching stock first for that reason. Otherwise you need to undercoat, a dense red-oxide for reds, a good solid matt white for yellows.

Thankfully the only red I use is for buffer beams but I agree it takes a bit to cover.  As I only have small yellow panels it would be harder to do first and keep masking for other colours. 

Garry 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I do counter spray to seal masking tape from time to time but these were masked with Tamiya paper and this does conform very well and has a little stretch so was able to push into to door panel gaps and sucessfully  as it happens. I have some tamiya vinyl masking tape and this has excellent side edge for getting a good line- 5 or 6mm is quite stable when stretched slightly and lays well.  I have 1,2,and3 mm tapes for divisions but often carefully planning the order of painting is better.   The freight grey was Halfords Polar grey and the railfeight red was Halford Peugeot Seville, as the name suggests an orangy colour but is a good match for the red.    

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of avoiding the task I spent an enjoyable 4 hours adding microstrip to 3 early Lenny resin 47s - the 3D print version is so much better on the Society rtr project these needed up grade.  The 47 has been updated to a cut away bufferbeam and will end up as an Intercity livery - might take 10 years but you get the idea ! 1433705626_TTlennylocos280321005.jpg.01b4e2ed095a7eaf3b46ec5c2cc6001b.jpg

side on

1238341282_TTlennylocos280321006.jpg.8919f506e6aa2185a392554ee1489378.jpg

I hit on using a bit of a ladder etch to make the bodyside window frames - a Dapol N gauage signal ladder with some rungs removed and carefully filed.   A bit of a mammoth job as there are 3 class 47 bodies.   Next works is to add the cab window droplight frame divider bar and to run some 5 thou rod around the front windows to replicate the rubber surrounds- fiddly but part of the face.   The other two bodies seen left .  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

The 47 has been updated to a cut away bufferbeam and will end up as an Intercity livery

Like this one?

47s.jpg.671e2fc7305f8b2bd7654f0ab9c7873b.jpg

I built these two 11 years ago from the 3SMR whitemtal/etched brass kits powered by dual Tri-ang motor bogies, a 3D print would have been far easier!

• Like 5

After yesterdays successful running I had a few minutes spare before lunch today and I have modified Leonard Seeney's WD body for my Tri-ang style chassis and it fits a treat.  I do need to get some plain wheels for the tender but looking okay so far.  The tender wheels do line up but the frames are not screwed to the body yet.

The motor screw mount at the back will be removed and therefore nothing protruding as the motor is held in using the screw through the pole pieces and magnet.

Garry

WD chassis with overlays.JPG

WD with tender.JPG

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Rail blue to the fore ! 

1566267495_TTlennylocos280321016.jpg.68cf337a5f2b468700cdd5531cc7b3a3.jpg

46009  Lenny`s resin body from a few years back, just to glaze and sort the inards !  Railetc 3mm number range.

430557205_TTlennylocos280321014.jpg.87cb3cee12a43be5eb7e6f8daf729316.jpg

37/0 heading towards being a Scottish West Highland , resin body and 3d print buffers, Buffer cowls cut away as a mod the real ones had once the corrosion trap was realised.     

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For a blue 31 to haul out of the Cross I guess, two triang subs that were of ebay along with a few wagons. 

2115871836_TTlennylocos280321010.jpg.b00a8559309377187254bef984e291fc.jpg

I will have to sort some numbers from the Std suburbans - just in the style of 

599131099_TTlennylocos280321011.jpg.288fb1ac9d38d27514399175241bb7e2.jpg

Guard van  done as well, It will get red line above the first two compartments- No men allowed, next to Van as glazing slips in and I have found the sheet of fox 3mm window decals I might for devilement add some no smoking and firsts  when decal time comes. - need to have steady hands and fresh eyes. Good of Triang to provide such harmless fun during lockdown time off.  

• Like 2

Two more of the "Tri-ang" trio of 8 coupled locos. The 8F and SR class Z.  All are fitted with Tri-ang wheels and motors and have run but all 3 still need some work/modification.  The 8F needs the rear end lifting slightly, it was a job to get the XT60 in but I managed it.  The Z class needs a clearance hole for the cylinder mounting screw as the body is resting on it at the moment.  At least they all have a strong "solid" chassis as such and not like tissue paper ones supplied.

Garry

Brass 8F.JPG

8F chassis.JPG

Brass Z class.JPG

Z chassis.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

GWR railcar from Recreation 21 via Shapeways - a bit grainy but in finest detail plastic it is ok, Later green and will get stripes and whiskers in time. Today say chassis made up = Mike Chinnery NG 12mm bogie , MJT trailing bogie with pickups and plasticard, 6 hours stirring over a cool bench and garnished with the body and "buggr me sidways it runs not a sprinter in anyway but it growls up and down second bogie pickups do assist.  Two pics of "progress."   

503961665_TTGWRrailcar310321006.jpg.ad441588aec650f04b43dc5e59ff2877.jpg

1012696385_TTGWRrailcar310321011.jpg.9e59955ff01b9348b61003db60e3ea0f.jpg

Really rather pleased and surprised as it only came from Shapeways 2 days  ago.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4386.

Steve at Railtec has surpassed himself, given he has lucrative work across his computers every day, to find time to resize to 3mm- an uber niche size is so very kind, not only did he zap the Rail freight logos for the AB vans but link to just released number sets.   I am getting dangerously close to finishing some models !

62492789_TTlennylocos310321006.jpg.3cd837553acae9a0f251c07cca6dd4b2.jpg

518960492_TTlennylocos310321009.jpg.98592dec0fccb108ddd12c5b85962bb5.jpg

6 AB vans of several types introduced in 1976/77.  2 in the later Rf red and grey and 4 in AB freight brown . I have to sort dome tlc couplings  as none of these really fit Chipping Compton or Minsterley. 

Please check out the 3mm range from Railtec - best to put  3mm in the search box and select an item - in the header for this you will see  "3mm British" - click on that and 57 items in the range.     

• Like 6

Painted now and will have to wait until the smokebox number from 247 developments arrives before I varnish it. I do prefer this tender logo, usually, but I wanted the later one and non in stock here and I am not one to wait if I don't have to. The cylinder cover is not fixed yet as that will be once the chassis is finished, hopefully not too long now.

Garry

Painted WD.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have some Class 158s on the go as well. Plucking up courage to start on the glazing .......

158-1.JPG.4d1dbafee07aa5a71af17b4ba8e318f3.JPG