Hymek drivers door grab handles

• RMweb Gold

The hymeks acquired greb handles at the bottom of drivers doors later in life - apparently accidents occured when crews closed the doors whilst stood on the steps.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p870200504/h24E34F41#h24e34f41

Had a go at doing them with brass tube - this is 3/32 but the grab holes are oblong on the real thing rather than square

613324343_Hymekdoorhandle.jpg.3531524ce3bc75b4f059ab36dd9fe106.jpg

I reckon 2mm x 1.5mm will be better - but where from? Or can anyone suggest alternative materials please?

Cheers

Phil

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

These chaps sell rectangular brass “tube” but the smallest they do is 2mm x 1mm and 3mm x 1.5mm section size.

Metalsmith

Scroll down to the bottom of the list for the rectangular sections.

It comes in 500mm lengths, which will cover a lot of Hymeks...

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Darius

My googling had taken me there too - the smallest I could find!

However also found these ...

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/jedetail/deflectors/jek02

A pair contains 12 hand holds, with a grab handle soldered in they look like possibles so have ordered a couple of pairs - cutting them out will be fun

Thanks again

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening Phil,

As an aside to my catfish and Herring building I started work on a spare Heljan Hymek bodyshell today. Roof fan grille added and new horns, headboard clips removed and attention now to the door floor level grab handles. 
Although this thread nearly 3 years old I found this on the EMgauge 70s website from April 2019 (near bottom of the page)

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb154.html 
basically using plastruct strip and 0.3mm rod. I’ve sourced some 4x2mm rectangular sections too but not sure yet of the width of the plastic. Looks fiddly but nothing compared to Herring undergarments! 
hopefully see you soon. Plastruct ordered, I’m sure I can spare you a few strips.

Neil 

• RMweb Gold

Indeed as quoted in modern locomotives illustrated no 212 only 4 Hymeks were not so treated D7002/21/54 and D7060 mod MB 400/95 which started in 1966. Edit: all four of which never made it to blue. The bulk of my Hymek fleet will need  modifying, not a trivial task.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
Correction

• RMweb Gold

Very useful gen Neil thanks! 

Surprised 7021 never got them …. As a regular on Lickey Banking where there was much access from the ground at Bromsgrove would have thought it would have been popular.

Have done them with brass section on 7022/3 in BFYE but can’t get photos here as they are with James for painting…

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you had some Rumney Bobol E conversion kits there are spare draw hook surrounds which might be the right size!!

Mike.

I did have some once… 😃

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Downendian said:

Indeed as quoted in modern locomotives illustrated no 212 only 4 Hymeks were not so treated D7002/21/54 and D7060 mod MB 400/95 which started in 1966. Edit: all four of which never made it to blue. The bulk of my Hymek fleet will need  modifying, not a trivial task.

Neil

D7021 was one of those Hymeks I only ever saw once, in the scrapline at Bristol SPM on 4/4/72. That's my excuse for not noticing at the time.

I also have MLI 212....................... can't think of an excuse for that! 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think I’ve come up with a solution to this. Having purchased several “trial” etches, most of which were too big or too small, this is the closest I’ve got to modelling the prototype. After studying multiple prototype photos I was quite surprised how large these handles were. I was also wary that on the preserved locos modifications to this design may have been made, but apparently not.

Anyhow the solution I’m going to use is the Ratio N gauge domestic  windows etch - it is enough for 10 Hymeks assuming no cock ups, plus 0.3mm plastic rod from plastruct for the central bar. 
D03F0A7D-0773-4224-B954-70A243DDCE6A.thumb.jpeg.a2dec04ef579800fb5efd646ad03b9be.jpeg

I’ve done a trial this morning and this looks about right, maybe a tad too wide but excuse the rough and ready shot, still some brass trimming to be done and the hole in the door still needs enlarging (note to self use masking tape to protect the bodywork), and the etch needs more accurate locating. I’ve affixed the rod to the rear of the brass etch, and will cut a notch in the door to recess this part of the etch when fitting.

edit - image added two fitted today and given a waft of primer 

Final shot is the prototype structure on D7018 at Temple Meads, there are much better resolution shots of preserved examples but not my copyright.

5833A8C1-D5BE-436A-9DC2-5DEC82250809.thumb.jpeg.2cf122e4663a435650fa953967dcf12a.jpeg
960F0CE3-263D-4C9C-A761-4E9B71EB6519.thumb.jpeg.2d3d35da0fd6682c05e8e8ddd28f74ae.jpeg

5DA68E2E-CE69-452B-91D2-008138EE4C1B.jpeg.e363c4ec264123665d60f5b1fa85ffef.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1