A Parkside wagon build: LNER fitted van

Guest WM183

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Gasp, oh no!  A Jinty would be a better fit for LNER stock.  There is no affordable RTR LNER loco AFAIK. (I have a J39 and J50 from Tower but the price is a bit eyewatering).  

John

There nearly was a J94, but I'm not sure if it would have been worth having or not!

We have to hope that either Dapol or Minerva notice, and fill, the obvious gap!

From what I have read, not a lot of workaday LNER locos lasted long in BR ownership.  The two I mention were gone from regular traffic by 1962.   Oxford have announced the J27 which lasted until 1967 apparently.  If only Dapol or Minerva (although these seem to be fixed on GWR) could do the same in 7mm.

John

I do want to, in fact. I'd like to go with LMS, but the issue in O gauge is that GWR has a much bigger array of small layout friendly tank locos (and smallish tender engines) compared to the LMS, at least pre nationalization. Once the Ivatts came along, I suppose an Ivatt 2MT (tender or tank) a Jinty, and maybe an old 3F or 4F 0-6-0 might be a nice range of stock. However, by this time, coaching stock has grown quite huge. LMS' most famous and modelled locos seem to be large ones; various 4P tanks, Black 5s, Crabs, and so on, are all pretty big.

I suppose post nationalization Panniers would show up virtually everywhere though... 

Edited by WM183

Alas Amanda, you are so right about the dearth of RTR locos that are not GWR.  The manufacturers serve the marketplace and GWR remains the most popular.  My suspicion is because there are so many well documented bucolic GWR branch lines.

P1010005.JPG.47a266727c3731d96a7345ffdc565e19.JPG

If you went with the nationalization era,  you would have more flexibility in that locos from other companies prior to 1948 could be seen almost anywhere.

I did 00 LMS for nearly 30 years before switching to 0.  When I did, I went for early 60s since many pregrouping locos were still in service and the infrastructure had yet to be modernized.

So, you have decisions to make.

John

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, WM183 said:

Is this from a kit or? That is gorgeous!

Dapol!

Replacement vac and steam pipes, filled in the seam on the smokebox saddle and gave it a respray but it's a cracking little model as supplied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2020 at 22:17, hmrspaul said:

i'm coming to the conclusion that if there is an upright vacuum pipe then it may be handed - for example the BR Shark - because they can be designed to end up on the centre line above the coupling.. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sharkzuv  

Although in conservation (thus risky to quote) this BR built LMS van has handed pipes https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmsvan/e5fcca86b  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmsvan/e5fcca88b   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmsvan/e2743354d

Paul

Just going back to this, do we think the pipe runs the same side as the cylinder? Would make sense but i cant see well enough to prove it either way.

On 31/01/2020 at 09:41, Hal Nail said:

Just going back to this, do we think the pipe runs the same side as the cylinder? Would make sense but i cant see well enough to prove it either way.

Have a look in my Peak rail Album on flickr and it shows the underneath of a Shark. Can't put a link for it at the moment

Link is 

Peak Railway

Michael

Edited by mike hughes
Added link

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, mike hughes said:

Have a look in my Peak rail Album on flickr and it shows the underneath of a Shark. Can't put a link for it at the moment

Michael

Found it thanks. Pipe runs on the other side to the cylinder- so much for my logic!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1