Noisy squealing motor

Railpassion

I have recently bought a new Jouef (Hornby) diesel (67400) hj2020 and it's  been fine during running in on DC. This afternoon it decided to squeal when running in one direction. Any thoughts from experienced technicians? The bogies are clean but there is a bit of oil around the wheel cogs. 

The running seems not to be affected but the squealing is noisy.

Edited by Railpassion
Tidy up

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Railpassion said:

I have recently bought a new Jouef (Hornby) diesel (67400) hj2020 and it's  been fine during running in on DC. This afternoon it decided to squeal when running in one direction. Any thoughts from experienced technicians? The bogies are clean but there is a bit of oil around the wheel cogs. 

The running seems not to be affected but the squealing is noisy.

No idea of that particular model but generally speaking, that sort of problem is caused by the motor bearings being dry. Just because the actual gears appear to have plenty of lubricant, doesn't mean everything is lubricated.

You need to find the actual motor bearings and apply a small amount of plastic compatible oil sparingly applied - try your local model shop, or online. Never get oil into the commutator - copper coloured sections, or the brushes in contact with the commutator.

DO NOT ever use a product such as WD40. It may cause plastic to become brittle, over a period of time. Never straight away, leading you to think it's ideal - it isn't.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

No idea of that particular model but generally speaking, that sort of problem is caused by the motor bearings being dry. Just because the actual gears appear to have plenty of lubricant, doesn't mean everything is lubricated.

You need to find the actual motor bearings and apply a small amount of plastic compatible oil sparingly applied - try your local model shop, or online. Never get oil into the commutator - copper coloured sections, or the brushes in contact with the commutator.

DO NOT ever use a product such as WD40. It may cause plastic to become brittle, over a period of time. Never straight away, leading you to think it's ideal - it isn't.

Agree with that.

& just to add about WD-40: It was designed as a water repellent, not a lubricant. It may be an oil-based product but this evaporate off fairly quickly.

A squeal or scream is associated with higher speed rotational rates on our models. If this is a shaft drive mechanism, then in addition to the motor bearings already mentioned, also check the bearings for the worm shafts as a potential source, as these run at motor shaft speed. ( Hornby have form, they produced a 'screamer' some ten years or so ago, due to tight bearings on the worm shaft of their class 08 shunter: easily the loudest noise I have ever heard from a small scale model!)

Thanks for the helpful replies. I've just used the gaugemaster syringe type lubricator and sparingly oiled the shafts near the motor but by listening carefully the squeal was coming from the worm at one end.  I've oiled the bearings at the end of the worm and hey presto all is now well and the loco moves more smoothly too. 

Thanks again for the advice it's worked. 

I spent over €150 on the loco and was pretty dismayed as it's only three weeks old.  Now it's working better than ever. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

I spent over €150 on the loco and was pretty dismayed as it's only three weeks old.  Now it's working better than ever. 

Who knows how long & in what environment models are stored before being bought?

Manufacturers sometimes smother them in grease but if they use too much, it can get in the wrong places, which also hampers performance.

• Agree 4