R3473 Class 56 108 in RF livery

meatloaf

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Couple of quick questions if I may

As its a full fat model - ie not railroad - does it have working lights?

Also, the older ones had traction tyres = has this one disposed of them?

Yes it has bidirectional lights, No it does not have traction tyres.

This is a very nice model, and have it along side their earlier 56042 Oystermouth (without redstripe) but is of the same “new” tooling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

It doesn’t have lights!

its an ex Lima model with an updated chassis for improved running.

Richard 

Lima has never made a class 56.

Mainline originally made the 56, later Dapol, they too had lights.

Hornby later took over production of that tooling for several years, but then retooled the model, to what is today’s model.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

No worries, it gives me chance to input more to the answer anyway...

This is the list of Hornby class 56’s on the old tooling..

http://www.hornbyguide.com/class_details.asp?classid=137

this was on service sheet 221

The old tooling was retired and replaced in 2007.

The new tooling (with several body styles) has two service sheets, DC and a DCC Sound, the DCC sound has a different lighting circuit

DCC ready version: sheet 310 starting with R2645

including (R2962/X; R2645; R2646; R2647; R3050; R2648; R2776; R2750; R2751; R3052; R2864; R2752; R3265; R3473)

DCC Sound version: Sheet 338b starting with catalog number R2781XS & R3033XS

• Informative/Useful 1

On 08/11/2019 at 00:21, adb968008 said:

No worries, it gives me chance to input more to the answer anyway...

This is the list of Hornby class 56’s on the old tooling..

http://www.hornbyguide.com/class_details.asp?classid=137

this was on service sheet 221

Never knew this Hornby Guide existed.  Its very good, but I would suggest there are a few errors.  Whether they have used Hornby's intended production numbers?

Example R2288 -56038  According to my info, that were never produced.  Hattons have it on there website as record (but no photo!) Plus, when you click on it, it then shows R2288 as 56068 (again a number I don't believe actually got produced, although Dapol did 56068 in R/F (D12)).  Plus 56068 is shown in EW&S, whilst the R2288 cat code is EWS with Beastie Logo. 56058 and 56105 were done in this livery (EW&S) as R2075 and R2075A respectively.  Don't Hornby sometimes do computer generated images?  I have found info on R2288 as listed in the following guises: R2288A = 56059, B = 56117, C = 56058, D = 56088.  Before anyone says well there should be a R2288(blank), the year prior, when doing more than one number eg. The original three Transrail 56's, they each had a letter i.e. R2107A,B,C.

Really good resource, and certainly not complaining, would just suggest a little caution on some of the details.  Like I say, maybe Hornby originally intended to produce this?  Possibly changed due to the front grille not being authentic to the early tool?

Best Regards,

C.

What were your decoration concerns about the R3473?

The price from Kernow is very good - does it definitely have lighting front and back?

The last Class 56 I had, ran quite roughly and had a model driver in the cab. I think these were the much older design class 56?

Thanks

Edited by rencar12

8 hours ago, rencar12 said:

What were your decoration concerns about the R3473?

The price from Kernow is very good - does it definitely have lighting front and back?

The last Class 56 I had, ran quite roughly and had a model driver in the cab. I think these were the much older design class 56?

Thanks

Yep deffo has working head and tail lights. 

The pics above do seem to show some bleed on the different colours but mines fine. 

fitted with a zimo decoder and ive got no complaints at all, for £99 its a no brainer really.

Might get it sound fitted after ive got xmas out of the way,

The screws are partly under the bogies, but its easy to get a screwdriver through the bogie and get the screws out. Once the screws are out the shell just lifts off. It dosent come completely off as theres wires attached to it for the lighting but theres enough give to place the body by the side of the loco whislt putting the decoder in