When did electric buffer stop lamps appear?

Platform 1

• RMweb Gold

Depends on the location and perhaps the type of signalling as well as the type of stop block.  I know there were some about back in the 1950s at one large London terminus and they were possibly there from the 1930s.  But local branchlines and more general use I doubt any electric ones appeared until the late 1970s and even then not at all widespread.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2019 at 04:26, Wickham Green said:

Probably lasted a lot longer in semaphore areas while lamp oil was still available - after that you'll need a length of electric string from the nearest 13A socket ( metaphorical ) as I don't recall seeing cordless battery-powered buffer lamps.

I helped fit or more accurately re-fit the battery lamps on the newer, rigid, rail- mounted buffer stops* in St. Pancras during my work experience in 1984. The nose of the HSTs knocked a few of them off so we set them back 6 inches. 

Some of the overnight stabling of the early HST services caused problems as St. Pancras had a gradient toward the stops.

They were a tin box with two spring top batteries and a tail lamp lens with the ldr daylight circuit from a roadworks light. They were not lit at night because of the station lighting so Willy covered the 'eye' with tape. The batteries didn't last even a day so we wired them to just be mains powered lamps. I remember a number of stories about Willy...

* That were set in front of the hydraulic buffers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1