Custom Plywood Cutting (Laser?)

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

As I prepare for the possible construction of baseboards for my fiddle yard project, I realise that the 'throat' board tops are going to need to be custom cut. I know I don't have the facility to do them myself (I have no suitable place to make a mess with a jigsaw where I currently live), so I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a timber cutting service that can do precise custom shapes, perhaps by laser cutting?

TIA

I used Tim Horn for all my baseboards, including about nine custom shaped boards: these were a mixture of curved, rectangular with a corner chopped off and a few that we more like curved triangles.  I notice his website (www.timhorn.co.uk) is being rebuilt at the moment, but if you e-mail him with a plan showing the dimensions of what you require, then he should be able to supply you with a price to cut them for you.  I suppose that the same is true of anyone offering laser cut baseboard kits.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had another recommendation for Tim Horn, by Graham Muz of this parish. I will have to send him and inquiry. I also have Model Railway Solutions on my doorstep, but I'm not sure they do custom cuts.

• RMweb Premium

Any good Timber Merchant (NOT DIY Shed) should be able to cut to a plan.

Hunt & Swain in Melton Mowbray are the ones that I used.

Baltic Ply BB Grade was a special order, but Next Day Delivery to them and an hour or two to folloow my directions, and I had a prfect 'kit' of parts for my baseboards.

Cutting was £10 on top, enough for 6 baseboards of various sizes. A couple of years ago, now, but still very reasonable compared to the Laser Cutting chaps.

Regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

Tim Horn boards every time.

Beware that laser cutting Ply needs a special type of ply that uses adhesive suitable for lasers.

I may be wrong but I believe this special Ply can only be got with a maximum dimension of 5ft in reasonable numbers at a time. Otherwise it's hundreds of sheets and lots of storage.

Dave

• Thanks 1