Chuches

MOH

Hi,

Anyone any ideas where to buy a cardboard 00 kit for a non-rural church, I have bought and built the Metcalfe version but now it does not seem quite right in my setting which is late 50's to early 60's.

I intend to site this amidst a semi-industrial area with quite a few Metcalfe red brick houses forming a terrace so the church needs to be less of a pastoral design that what I believe the Metcalfe version is.

Edited by MOH

• RMweb Premium

Hi MOH,

Sorry, but the bad news is that there isn't really such a distinction as a rural/non-rural church!  The other bit of bad news is that models of church buildings tend to be very, very, small compared to the real thing. (In real life, a typical small parish church of the late nineteenth century could typically seat 300+ on the ground floor alone.)

If you're looking for something red brick why not try looking for street view pictures of some of the areas that were mostly occupied by such construction, see if you can find a suitable building, and then convert a ready made card one to suit. 

That said, ecclesiastical architecture is often a law unto itself.  For example you can recreate the old opening image from 'Coronation Street' with row after row of red brick terraces, and in the middle of it have a neo-Gothic red sandstone barn of a place.  The design of the church will, in part be influenced but the denomination for which it was built, and part by the whim of whoever designs or pays for it (traditions/denominations were often gifted church buildings).

One thing to bear in mind is when you imagine your church to have been built, as that will influence what materials may have been used; so too will geography.  Your suggested period of the 50s/60s could allow for some seriously ugly modernist or brutalist architecture (if you were so inclined)!

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Couldn't remember the name of this place when I wrote my previous response, but is this more what you're thinking of?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seion_Presbyterian_Church_of_Wales,_Birkenhead_(1).JPG

This is a rather small urban red brick church that could form the basis of a conversion from one of the other kits.

Good luck,

Alex.

Thanks to all for your very prompt replies, the photo of the Presbyterian church is especially evocative but perhaps not quite what is needed, the KINGSWAY Bethnal Green model is probably too grand but their St Judes model looks appealing both in size and aesthetics.

I have never used card models other then superquick or Metcalfe (which I have a preference for), can you only get KINGSWAY from the manufacturer and in general how would they rate in terms of construction difficulty compared to Metcalfe?

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Just a thought.  If you like the general feel of the Metcalfe kit then have a think about cladding it with a commercial stone paper of a different finish, e.g. superquick red sandstone.  It is by no means a perfect solution but may work.

Regards,

Alex.

8 hours ago, MOH said:

Can you only get KINGSWAY from the manufacturer and in general how would they rate in terms of construction difficulty compared to Metcalfe?

Further to previous answers, some retailers carry a limited range of Kingsway kits. The two that I can think of are Morris Models in North Lancing and Harrison Brown (online/shows).

The owner of Kingsway, John, is a really lovely guy and his mail order service is fast and efficient.

As to difficulty, I would say a little bit more work than a Metcalfe kit but with excellent instructions to guide you.

A point to note is the difference in printing methods. Metcalfe print their kits directly onto card and diecut the parts which makes construction quick and easy.

Kingsway models are printed onto paper which is pre-pasted to the appropriate thickness of card. You have to do all the cutting.

ScaleScenes just supply the design, you do the printing, sticking and cutting. 

23 hours ago, brossard said:

I do like Scalescenes however quite a bit more involved that Metcalf or Superquik.

But, for me, a far more enjoyable, rewarding and satisfying build. And nicer finished models, although these days I don't bother with Metcalfe and tend to make my own buildings.

1 hour ago, grahame said:

But, for me, a far more enjoyable, rewarding and satisfying build. And nicer finished models, although these days I don't bother with Metcalfe and tend to make my own buildings.

Yes, I've done that too.  Scalescenes are pretty close to scratchbuilding with the added benefit that the painting has been done.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2019 at 12:41, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If a kit of a 1950/50 red brick fire station complete with hose drying tower is available, that would do the job.

Hi again,

Both Superquick and Metcalfe do such an item, though the latter is probably a better starting point in terms of shape, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Both Superquick and Metcalfe do such an item, though the latter is probably a better starting point in terms of shape, etc.

This (former) fire station would make a fantastic statement model, although you'd have to scratch build it. I'm tempted to.

DSC_5783.JPG.57c8a5e063811aec2f39d79db174ba96.JPG

DSC_5785.JPG.833ff4c5106507cdc6161ac9c3f9fffa.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you check Streetview for the corner of Park St and Plimsoll St. Kidderminster, there is a building that may suit your needs

I believe it used to be a place of worship, before becoming  a base for St John's Ambulance and now is converted into several properties.

It certainly matches being amongst terraced housing, religious looking and is probably of the same vintage as the houses surrounding it.  Whether there is a card kit that can get you close, I don't know, but it has relatively simple footprint and structure that self build could be a possibility.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2019 at 18:48, grahame said:

This (former) fire station would make a fantastic statement model, although you'd have to scratch build it. I'm tempted to.

DSC_5783.JPG.57c8a5e063811aec2f39d79db174ba96.JPG

DSC_5785.JPG.833ff4c5106507cdc6161ac9c3f9fffa.JPG

Stunning piece of architecture!  Certainly beats most of what's around here.  Thanks for sharing.