Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

2 Years ago I sold my 4mm shunting layout Peafore Yard having had some good years of fun operating it at various shows. The trackplan was great fun to operate but I am somebody who enjoys building layouts rather than operating them so sold the layout to allow me to build my current 4mm project Parsons Vale Carriage sidings (PVCS). As PCVS is nearly complete, my thoughts are turning to the next project, the plan being to build the next layout while still exhibiting the previous one. 

Over the last few years my eye sight has deteriorated, partly due to age but also due to a minor underlying issue affecting the surface of my eyes, which is making the use of 3 link couplings in 4mm difficult so I have decided that PVCS will probably be my final 00 layout prior to go up to 0 gauge. Having enjoyed operating Peafore Yard I thought it would be a good start to replicate it in a smaller form in 7mm. Peafore Yard was 4' x 2' which if replicated exactly would be 7' x 3.5' in 0 gauge:

Trackplan.png.347634e0af05b3c4ed62fc6663273f62.png

This size wouldn't be practical especially from a width point of view so not building the upper level would bring the width to just under 2ft, while I was keen to keep the scenic board down to 5ft, giving me a track plan like this:

Trackplan.png.3b7cf104c164a6a7d37035a59d91f709.png.

One advantage of modelling a model is I have already have a 3d image of what I am trying to create:

DSCN1727.jpg.dc32b91e169e9f761fca5688aeb747b5.jpg

DSCN1767.jpg.29df37956b656728962dca2c3a6b82e7.jpg

A Dapol Class 08 is on order to get me going, will be a while before progress proper on the layout though...

• Like 18

25 minutes ago, Rhb Simon said:

I look forward to seeing it Rob, peaford was a nice layout. Can I ask who did the 4mm blue circle lorrys? I remember those blue circle scammells daily passing home in the hope valley. I'd like some on my layout.

Cheers

Simon

I made them Simon, mix of Kits and scratchbuild. I still have them if you are interested in buying them?

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a good plan Rob.

I recommend the Paul Chetter / Zimo combination as suggested by Andy. I have the same in my 08 and sounds superb. I quite fancy getting a second 08 in the coming months, but then need to build a layout to run them on!

The wagon kits from Parkside and Slaters are recommended as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Sounds like a good plan Rob.

I recommend the Paul Chetter / Zimo combination as suggested by Andy. I have the same in my 08 and sounds superb. I quite fancy getting a second 08 in the coming months, but then need to build a layout to run them on!

The wagon kits from Parkside and Slaters are recommended as well.

Paul actually does TWO different 08 Sounds recorded from two different Locos, I have one of each, in my Black and Blue ones, very good.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the sound recommendation guys, I hadn't thought about DCC and sound but as I am effectively starting from scratch and unlikely to have more than 2 or 3 loco's it would not break the bank...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Thanks for the sound recommendation guys, I hadn't thought about DCC and sound but as I am effectively starting from scratch and unlikely to have more than 2 or 3 loco's it would not break the bank...

The Dapol 08 runs perfectly well on the Zimo (MX644D) but add one of the Digitrains stay alive capacitors. Plenty of space for large speaker.

It's only when you get a class 25 etc do you need the larger decoder.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

The Dapol 08 runs perfectly well on the Zimo (MX644D) but add one of the Digitrains stay alive capacitors. Plenty of space for large speaker.

It's only when you get a class 25 etc do you need the larger decoder.

Or as I've done with most of my Fleet on Seven Mills Sidings, remove one Motor from each Loco, and fit a std OO Gauge Zimo Chip, It ain't gunna pull a 16 Coach set of Mk1's, and I've saved about £50 a Loco by doing that.

Just out of interest, my pair of 20, have a Motor removed from each unit, but TWO Speakers fitted to each unit, so when their running as a pair, it's still two Motors but 4, yes that's F O U R speakers,:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 37114 said:

Go for it, Rob. Although my 4mm stuff is too small to fit DCC, I have it in my 7mm locomotives and it adds to the operation. Because you have the sounds of braking you end up driving and stopping more realistically.

• Thanks 1

The first stock purchases have arrived:

thumbnail_20191101_170234.jpg.e8d01e3c0c62378cb6aa4abae005a042.jpg

Class 08 - This will become 08950, a loco I modelled in 4mm, I will add details such as wipers and guard irons which are missing and some of the handrails require a repaint.

16T Minerals wagon - As per Peafore Yard the plan is to have a scrap yard based on Habgood and Sons who had a yard at Avon Street and used to send out the odd train of scrap

Molasses tank - United Molasses used to use the Avon Street branch as well so this tank is ideal for the traffic in the yard.

Ideally I would like a few JTLRT Presflo's but they are eye wateringly expensive even by O gauge standards so will be a longer term purchase.

Weathering should happen over the next month or so.

Edited by 37114
pictures
  • Like 13

53 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I always had a soft spot for Peafore Yard. So will follow this one. Know what you mean about the eyesight!

Alas it is amazing the day I turned 40 it started deteriorating..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 03/11/2019 at 16:14, The Ghost of IKB said:

I was a big fan of your last two layouts, now I'm in thr process of starting in o myself I'll  be following closely.  Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thanks, I am looking forward to getting on with this once Parsons Vale (and the Land Rover) is finished. I have also started weathering the stock, I am already loving the ability to bring the detail to life so much more readily than 4mm, that said any mistakes seem to be so much more noticeable. 

thumbnail_20191102_164048.jpg.403d20f0a25fb65a79cbbfe36776adc2.jpg

I started some table top planning last night, the sheet of ply was left over from when we extended our previous dining table on the cheap and is the perfect dimensions for Peasevern Yard. It is exactly the same dimensions as Parsons Vale and will have an angled end, partly for interest but mostly because I can not get the board round the corner from the garage to our TV room without the angled end.

The plan stays pretty true to the Peafore Yard lower level track plan and is obviously very rough until I download the Peco Point plans. Having seen the excellent "Midland in Bristol" in this months MRJ which is based on the similar area of Bristol, I hope to model part of the Culvert under the track with part of the wharf at the front to avoid the board looking too flat. I suspect I have underestimated the length of the points so the road at the bottom of the picture may go. The Redscaff building at the front was a good view blocker on Peafore Yard and was an easy if uninspiring scratchbuild. At the back of the layout will be arches to represent the GW main line, the Wills 4mm ones I used for Peafore Yard were perfect but alas I have not found anything in 7mm yet other than with Skytrex but these don't look the part for me so will probably scratchbuild...

Edited by 37114
pictures
  • Like 6

Just now, mudmagnet said:

Are planning on using the Peco set track points? Quite a bit shorter than the standard points, but obviously much sharp radii - shouldn't be an issue with the 08 or short wheel base wagons.

Was planning on using the standard bulkhead streamline points Richard, I want a Heljan 37 at some point so was staying away from Setrack points in case they are too sharp for it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you considered the C+L turnouts Rob?

I am also new to this 7mm malarkey (:D) and built three of the ‘turnout in a bag’ kits for my Wenford layout - really enjoyed the process.

The shear presence of the 7mm rolling stock is very satisfying...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bcnPete said:

Have you considered the C+L turnouts Rob?

I am also new to this 7mm malarkey (:D) and built three of the ‘turnout in a bag’ kits for my Wenford layout - really enjoyed the process.

The shear presence of the 7mm rolling stock is very satisfying...

I am aware of them Pete and I like the kits having built my own points for Peafore Yard albeit in 4mm, I did enjoy it but I have less time on my hands these days hence will probably go down the Peco route but we will see.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I decided to do some proper track planning so downloaded the peco templates. This has been a useful exercise as it has shown my rough estimates of O gauge point sizes was way out! My main constraint is that the headshunt has to be at least 450mm long to allow a class 37 to fit in it or a shunter with a brake van or match wagon. It also ensures that the sidings will accommodate either 4 16t mineral wagons or 3 of the Molasses tanks. 

thumbnail_20191109_154203.jpg.739eb2e3d53303746e8b50499ee58101.jpg

I am likely to move the river slightly, and modify the course so it is not at 90 degrees to the front of the layout which was a key bugbear on Peafore Yard. I am also likely to swap the siding for the scrap yard to be at the front of the layout rather than at the back to allow more room for the scrap yard.

thumbnail_20191109_154222.jpg.a97909b2ce905fabf06fa3f92aa3cfd5.jpg

The eagle eyed will have noticed the stock roster has grown somewhat, I have purchased 5 x 16t unfitted wagons from "Ruston" so these will go nicely on here. I have started to weather the other stock with both the Molasses tanker and the 08 being numbered. I have to paint the bonnet door handrails on 08950 which were white and presents a nice subtle variation.   So far only first coats of weathering to the chassis and roof has been done and I am going to get some help from my friend Dave Spencer who is a dab hand at weathering wagons.

thumbnail_20191109_154244.jpg.bf7a29088211e11f3bd8295d42b365f0.jpg

Edited by 37114
pictures
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2