Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

More progress today, I managed to make the legs for the layout today, I only had just enough timber and I still need to fit the casters to the bottom of the layout but for obvious reasons I can't buy these at the moment.

20200328_140850.jpg.fe0479abd5e3a9be8fac507175ea8589.jpg

I just managed to squeeze the layout in front of the Land Rover so made it a little easier to work on. I gave the back scenes the first coat of paint (B&Q colours "Oxygen ") before any of the scenery starts to go in.

Also visible is the start of the track bed for the upper level. The useable bit of track is just long enough for an 08 and a brake van, there will be an access opening into the fiddle yard, and a small low relief platform will go in at the back. I have made a start on making the bridge and arches which are from LCUT. Some of the clearances are a bit tight but not noticeable from the normal viewing angle.

20200328_165020.jpg.a7f3c522153a37f105b1cfd954068f77.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Its amazing how much gets done under the current circumstances - great stuff Rob - I'll update Penmaenbach in the next few days. The LCUT stuff is great but corners get damaged ( at least when I do it) - worth giving it a coat of lacquer or varnish before you do to much.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Its amazing how much gets done under the current circumstances - great stuff Rob - I'll update Penmaenbach in the next few days. The LCUT stuff is great but corners get damaged ( at least when I do it) - worth giving it a coat of lacquer or varnish before you do to much.

Cheers

Chris

Indeed Chris. Our plans for both weekends have changed somewhat and I am not one to sit around and relax. Re th LCUT bits I know what you mean, I am having to cut a few bits to make the bridge and the bricks on the cut line are very fragile, I have had a couple bricks peel off so will need to disguise that. Once I painted the office the corners they seem much stronger so will get some paint on quickly I think. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another milestone this weekend, the track for the lower level is laid. One advantage of such a small layout is many of the jobs such as track laying can be completed in a couple of hours and I continue to benefit from experience of having built the layout before but in a smaller scale with things like a wiring diagram and track plan being already complete.

I have yet to get the proper layout lights so illumination is via the garage lights and my modelling spotlight, I have put the work in progress arches in place (these still require weathering and can't be fixed into place until some more wiring is done.) as I needed to check some clearances.

thumbnail_20200405_192859.jpg.37d87cf944716ca571eca579a7bf1f00.jpgthumbnail_20200405_193029.jpg.4aa9bd8b27e2f3ee295e3383933bb07e.jpg

I will be open that in places the clearances are not as big as they should be but I have been careful that this shouldn't be obvious to the viewer or affect the operation. A case in point is the upper level where the parapet is closer than it should be to the track but because the viewing angle is so controlled it is not possible to tell. A platform has been made and the plan is to put part of the parcel conveyor from Temple Meads in the corner to hide the 90 degree corner.

Also in view is a work in progress Skip which is painted up in the colours of the Bristol skip company "Hemmings" whose skips and lorries were a common site in Bristol throughout the 70's to 90's. One of their skips has appeared in my last 3 layouts (they supplied the industrial waste bins for the Malago Vale carriage sidings waste wagons) and I found pictures of Habgoods scrap yard near Avon street with one of their skips in so it was an obvious candidate to model.

thumbnail_20200405_103737.jpg

• Like 12

Alfresco modelling today, trying to get the brick arches to look right. Also had a go at some graffiti for the first time, as Peasevern yard is in the south of the city the graffiti is for Bristol city rather than Rovers.20200411_111625.jpg.b25806fac5174c9755870ca25b6d9624.jpg

• Like 16

8 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Rob, all looking good.

I would really consider the DCC option for the future. It makes a big difference to slow speed running I have found.

I have still to buy an class 03, but will once finances allow.... 

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. It is on the list to look at DCC particularly after the rave reviews the Paul Chetter 08 sound gets. I believe DCC operates in the same way as a feedback controller and have had great results with them in 4mm so am tempted to try a spare one with the 03s to see if it makes a difference. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Rob,

Looking good, It's always good to get the trains running, hope the 03s improve. The brake van looks good too.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, the brake van has scrubbed up well and was glad I got it in the end, it goes well with the 08 and Dapol Bauxite ones seem rarer than Hens teeth at the moment...

16 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The printed backscenes with the MK I's is a really good trick.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade, I was lucky to find a good photo of a MK1 square on and in the right colour scheme.  It worked well in 4mm so was glad it scaled up ok. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Are you tempted to mount the bodies onto a slightly convex surface, matching the Mk 1 coach profile?

Hi, I didn't think of that to be honest,  it is very tight on space between the retaining wall and the lower track. On the 4mm version I  did a 3D backscene as I had a dummy class 47 and some Bachmann MK1s secured permanently to the track. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hi, I didn't think of that to be honest,  it is very tight on space between the retaining wall and the lower track. On the 4mm version I  did a 3D backscene as I had a dummy class 47 and some Bachmann MK1s secured permanently to the track. 

Doesn’t have to be the full thing, just a slight curve so that they catch the light.

A bit of a diversion from layout building this week, I got given a Slaters 13t High sided open wagon for my birthday,  which will be a match truck for 03121, pictures on the web showed it often paired with one in my chosen 1977 modelling period.  This was my first Slaters kit and it has been a joy to build, the box contents being slightly intimidating until you realise that you don't need half of it!

20200421_222725.jpg.ac058e193f5140917b00a04c789d7f0c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

I've made a couple of Slaters kits and have another couple on the go at the moment. Very detailed kits and enjoyable builds. Certainly look great when completed.

I have got a feeling that it could become addictive building them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Yes, although the RTR wagons from Dapol etc are very good, much more satisfying building a kit.

It is, I have a Dapol 5 plank Hybar on it's way and I have a few vanwides to get but then I am sorted wagon wise. I found an old Model Rail the other night where they were building an MMP MK1 brass coach kit, that looks a whole different challenge but could be fun!

• Like 3