Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

33 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Many thanks for all the info' Rob, i just ordered the Slaters wagon kit from a certain shop in Blackpool.;) 

Great to hear Bob, it is a nice kit. There are loads of surplus bits on the sprues so the build is not as complicated as it seems.

• Thanks 1

Some exciting news with Ellis Clark announcing an O gauge Presflo today, I wish they had done it 3 weeks ago though. At least 6 will be ordered for the layout as the APCM Presflo were a staple on Avon Street. I have a separate thread for my Presflo build which will now be the only one I build.thumbnail_20200523_160816.jpg.9d2467308b9750d55c3417afd7ada0ee.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 01/11/2019 at 18:55, 37114 said:

Alas it is amazing the day I turned 40 it started deteriorating..

God wait till your 66 and trying to see I needed a magnifying glass to make out the c&l finescale fishplates even with my reading glasses on they both looked same only with readers and magnifier could I distinguish between bolt heads and nuts ! But keep it up you will get there :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A break from soldering this afternoon,  some progress on the crane. I have fitted the wheels and got the black paint out. Due to the thickness of the die cast metal I went round all the window apertures with a thin brush as it helps to disguise the thickness of the frames. A door has been made to go on and will help hide the old winding handle instructions. 

20200524_142800.jpg

• Like 13

I decided to crack on with the layout as the Presflo is in the paint shop. Despite the lack of ballast in stock I wanted to get the retaining walls secure to the rear of the layout to reduce the risk of damage. This was a little more tricky than planned as half of the arches are fixed to the backscene of the layout while the others are fixed to the layout board itself.

20200531_203445.jpg.f6f1605fa8d306d6c71d1907a80b37ae.jpg

Also progressing is the culvert, this has been made up of some off cuts of board insulation carved to shape with some plaster bandage on top. In hindsight making the culvert would have been so much easier if I had cut the plywood bridge deck out and made the culvert before then replacing the deck. This was the approach I took with Peafore Yard and it worked, a demonstration of "if it is not broke then don't fix it "..

20200531_205434.jpg.568f25e385b17d79a2fae16325afe134.jpg

• Like 12

I have been experimenting with the backscene at the side of the layout. It was an area I was never really happy with on Peafore Yard, particularly as the backscene lacked height to match the arches. I wanted to put a wall either side of the head shunt with a gap for a level crossing gate which in future will continue on to another board with some cement sidings on.

I was also keen to tie the layout to Avon Street, so wanted to use some images from the surrounding area.  One building that was quite long lived was an industrial unit on the corner of Barton Street and appeared in a number of photos over the year and it looked derelict in most of them. I managed to find one that was taken not long before demolition that I could edit out modern signage.

The side of the wall closest to the arches was quite tricky as it was narrow but ideally I wanted a tall building which potentially was a difficult ask. In the end the answer hit me when painting the Presflo earlier; A cement silo.

The picture below shows the initial mock ups, I am happy with the building but I intend to reprint the silo to make it a bit bigger to fill the width of the wall.20200602_210302.jpg.55461afe3d9b0fbbc8c361f430586c39.jpg

• Like 11

I managed to reprint the silo tonight,  I also found a picture taken from Barton street towards Kingsland Road which filled the gap between the walls nicely. I learnt into the layout to take this photo but from normal viewing angles the track merges into the backscene in a much less obvious angle.

20200603_191841.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 37114 said:

I have been experimenting with the backscene at the side of the layout. It was an area I was never really happy with on Peafore Yard, particularly as the backscene lacked height to match the arches. I wanted to put a wall either side of the head shunt with a gap for a level crossing gate which in future will continue on to another board with some cement sidings on.

I was also keen to tie the layout to Avon Street, so wanted to use some images from the surrounding area.  One building that was quite long lived was an industrial unit on the corner of Barton Street and appeared in a number of photos over the year and it looked derelict in most of them. I managed to find one that was taken not long before demolition that I could edit out modern signage.

The side of the wall closest to the arches was quite tricky as it was narrow but ideally I wanted a tall building which potentially was a difficult ask. In the end the answer hit me when painting the Presflo earlier; A cement silo.

The picture below shows the initial mock ups, I am happy with the building but I intend to reprint the silo to make it a bit bigger to fill the width of the wall.20200602_210302.jpg.55461afe3d9b0fbbc8c361f430586c39.jpg

You sneaked that in on the QT?????

Is that the Presflo back from the paint dept?

Jim

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jcarta said:

You sneaked that in on the QT?????

Is that the Presflo back from the paint dept?

Jim

It is, paint not quite finished yet, I need to put the transfers on as well before I share any pre weathering photos.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making progress with the Culvert, suffice to say I have been cursing the fact that I didn't take a different approach to the bridge and get the culvert done first. I was also not happy with the way that culvert met the edge of the board at the same angle as the bridge. I decided to make a small tunnel at right angle to the culvert which also limits the ability of the viewer to see too far under the bridge.

20200613_193117.jpg.9af26442343cd0f7bd131d9dce285dd6.jpg

I also grabbed some of the scrapyard details from storage to start planning out where things will go in readiness for making a start on the scrap pile.20200613_192942.jpg.c59b8e85fc7a20d924a72a41fdb150f0.jpg

20200613_193212.jpg.d4528de4934e85cb3de6d87ae9f4d02a.jpg20200613_193146.jpg.cbebc4c379ad2a7ab2bb0082d2c43aed.jpg

• Like 17

This morning's activity was to make a start on the crossing gates for the end of the head shunt. I have based this on the one at the crossing at Barton Road although the real gates were considerably longer. I am not sure if there is a kit available but I enjoyed this straightforward scratch build.20200614_120106.jpg.69936e84f121b83ff6bb50b0ebd247b3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great thread going with some pictures of small goods yards in the 70s to 90s and a couple of recent contributions have included pictures of a wagon weigh bridge at Lawrence Hill, the scales being housed in a brick shed that looks no bigger than 8ft x 4ft, which seemed a great little structure to include on this layout.

The shed is a simple scratch build and used up the last of my brick sheet; I flipped the orientation so the door was at the opposite end but otherwise is a carbon copy. I have got as far as the walls and door today, the shell being photo frame mount card clad with brick and a scratch built door.

The weighbridge itself is on order from Severn models (appropriate name) and is an etched brass one so will need insulating from the rail. I will need to lift part of one siding to fit it but should be ok.

I have also made a start on the scrapyard ground, pre mixed polyfilla being spread out roughly with a knife. Once dry it was sanded down to remove the rough peaks before being sprayed brown and any dips painted gloss black. In the fullness of time some woodland scenics realistic water will be poured in to represent puddles.20200628_174453.jpg.398bc347da563245c6baf90c56d17810.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Rob

It's certainly starting to take shape ....

Jim

Thanks Jim, I am pleased how it is coming on, definitely finding it an interesting experience having built lots of it before albeit in 4mm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

There is a great thread going with some pictures of small goods yards in the 70s to 90s and a couple of recent contributions have included pictures of a wagon weigh bridge at Lawrence Hill, the scales being housed in a brick shed that looks no bigger than 8ft x 4ft, which seemed a great little structure to include on this layout.

The shed is a simple scratch build and used up the last of my brick sheet; I flipped the orientation so the door was at the opposite end but otherwise is a carbon copy. I have got as far as the walls and door today, the shell being photo frame mount card clad with brick and a scratch built door.

The weighbridge itself is on order from Severn models (appropriate name) and is an etched brass one so will need insulating from the rail. I will need to lift part of one siding to fit it but should be ok.

I have also made a start on the scrapyard ground, pre mixed polyfilla being spread out roughly with a knife. Once dry it was sanded down to remove the rough peaks before being sprayed brown and any dips painted gloss black. In the fullness of time some woodland scenics realistic water will be poured in to represent puddles.20200628_174453.jpg.398bc347da563245c6baf90c56d17810.jpg

Coming on nicely Rob.

If my memory is ok, the weighbridge at Lawrence Hill was really interesting. As I

recall its siding was on;y long enough for about 2 wagons, and it took a double slip

to fit it in.

TONY

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Coming on nicely Rob.

If my memory is ok, the weighbridge at Lawrence Hill was really interesting. As I

recall its siding was on;y long enough for about 2 wagons, and it took a double slip

to fit it in.

TONY

Interesting to hear Tony, I will have to look at more of the photos of Lawrence Hill. My siding is big enough for 4 x 16t opens or 3 of the 21t tanks. Kevin mentioned on the other thread about a weighbridge test vehicle in an old GWR van so that could add some operational interest as well.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Great progress Rob.

Just goes to show what can be achieved in a compact space. Goes to prove that you don't need loads of space for an 0 gauge layout.

Thanks Richard, I had a few people say I was being optimistic/crazy/mad trying to build an O gauge layout in under 5ft but I love a challenge and if it helps give others ideas of how O gauge can be achieved in a small space then it is worth it. I am having to be creative with how I use the space hence some selective compression from the front to back but I am achieving mostly what I set out to do.

• Like 5

Prompt service from Severn models meant the weighbridge turned up today and so with an hour spare I set to fitting it. I studied some of the pictures from Lawrence Hill and Radstock shared by Tim V to see how the bridge rejoins to the track work. There are special chairs on the edge of the ring around the actual table which look to be spaced away from the adjacent sleeper.  The track is supported on longitudinal bearers and for obvious reasons is separate from the track either side.

First off I had to work out how many sleepers need removing so laid the table on top of the track. Rather than lifting the whole track I was keen to keep the rails intact on the length but more of that later. I worked out 8 sleepers had to go. At this point I noticed something had gone awry with the back wall of the weighbridge hut so will investigate tomorrow. 

20200630_212310.jpg.891d310f1c21e2d93bb15538a9bf65e9.jpg

The sleepers were cut out with a slitting disc in a mini drill and the plate test fitted. I then marked on the track where the cuts in the rail would have been and rather than cutting all the way through I cut through the top part of the rail but not all the way through.  This allows me to not have to worry about extra track feeds and maintains track strength/ gauge but still appear as separate length of rails as the remainder of the gap will be painted on after weathering.

20200630_212343.jpg.ea1038356c8d2d9b2c80343c68671608.jpg

Now I added 2 plasticard strips to the weigh table to represent the horizontal bearers and to insulate the track from the weigh table. I had to pack the plate up with card so the plasticard was at the right height and  touched the rail. 20200630_212429.jpg.b79eea110ec3a5f49e0ea98c06b706fe.jpg

I need to add another thin slither of plasticard to the inside edge of the bearers as they are not quite wide enough and then add the dummy chairs and bolt detail. All in all quite a nice little project and something I don't think is modelled that often.

• Like 14