Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

Painted the bricks on the weighbridge hut the other night, first time I have painted each brick individually which wasn't as mind numbing as I feared and it has turned out alright. I also added the bolt detail and the chairs to the weighbridge rails before a blast of primer when I had the can out for some bits on the Land Rover.

20200705_152733.jpg.5c2a4d63e45ec650de5b682a694ed462.jpg

I also started to see how much scrap I have on hand, as expected I have nowhere near enough, even after placing the weights from 3 Bachmann class 37s and 2 class 25s in the middle. All of the scrap will be painted individually before gluing in place.

20200705_152754.jpg.64036a10498c11b546600e6958c78b3c.jpg

I will look for something to fill the gap between the crane and the lorry as my experience of scrapyard is they are generally rammed!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I too am spending lockdown time building one of these kits, in spite of the “instructions”. Can you possibly remember where the part that goes between the centre bottom of the door and the sole bar is to be found? It looks like some kind of supporting bracket but I can find no mention of it. Is plastic or a casting or etched brass and what do they call it?

Thanks in anticipation. Vic Pallett

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VicPallett said:

Hi

I too am spending lockdown time building one of these kits, in spite of the “instructions”. Can you possibly remember where the part that goes between the centre bottom of the door and the sole bar is to be found? It looks like some kind of supporting bracket but I can find no mention of it. Is plastic or a casting or etched brass and what do they call it?

Thanks in anticipation. Vic Pallett

Hi Vic, if you mean the curved strip the door rests against when open, it is an etched brass item, I can't recall where on the spruce it was but you need to form it to the correct shape (the shape is guesswork...)

I have been making scrap recently so I can start on the scrap mountain. First off I weathered the ground on the scrap yard to a more oily/dark brown colour which was then highlighted by dry brushing some Humbrol 53.

I always paint and weather scrap pieces individually as I think the less uniform results are more realistic. Lots of the base material is left over sprue and etched brass off cuts. My approach is to:

- Spray in a grey primer

- Separate out into a few piles and paint each bit into a base colour eg red, black, white etc

- Apply a wash of Humbrol 186

- Dry brush with Humbrol 62, 53 and 11.

20200725_161824.jpg.4cd844fc5f37a5dca241fd5a59fc1a16.jpg

Below shows the start of the pile, I have attached the weights from some Bachmann OO gauge locos to the board with wire first then just glue the bits on 1 by 1. So far I have used about 30% of my stash so more raw material is required...

20200725_161800.jpg.b18d46cc63fac8cf5a7a4b766bdecf42.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Coming on a treat Rob.

Is this all 'ferrous" based scrap? Are you going to add any non-ferrous scrap piles? Some old aluminium sheets or copper pipes in piles might look good. A few old cast iron radiators stacked up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Coming on a treat Rob.

Is this all 'ferrous" based scrap? Are you going to add any non-ferrous scrap piles? Some old aluminium sheets or copper pipes in piles might look good. A few old cast iron radiators stacked up?

Hi Richard,

The main scrap pile will be mostly ferrous scrap but I am planning on having a few pallet size bins for various non ferrous scrap as well. I was looking at a few photos over the weekend and need to add some more "identifiable" scrap eg things like old machinery, radiators, boilers etc as well. 

• Like 4

While Covid has understandably created a massive headache for exhibition organizers, it has also created a bit of a headache in my diary planning for the various shows that my layouts are planned to appear at which I am now trying to unpick...

This year was supposed to be the year that my recently finished 4mm layout Parsons Vale made it's public debut but that hasn't happened and is now making it's debut in April 2021.

Peasevern Yard was supposed to not being built until 2021 but has obviously progressed quicker than planned so will be making it's debut earlier than planned. Having 2 relatively new layouts has created a backlog of show bookings but as things stand I have the following shows booked for Peasevern Yard:

1 x show 2021 (Layout will be work in Progress) more Details to follow

9th/10th April 2022 - Trainwest Corsham

29th/30th October 2022 - Cheltenham 

With Parsons Vale also out in April 2022 at Cheltenham (not told my wife I am out 2 weekends in a row yet....) any further Peasevern Yard bookings will be 2023 onwards. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Again

Thanks for the reply re 7071 waggon kit. I think that the bent strip forming the door rests are what they refer to as striker plates and I can identify these in my many left over parts, but the bit that I am having trouble identifying goes into a location hole in the centre of the door at it's bottom. I have something referred to as the claw which is left over on the casting sprue which I think may it, but doesn't look much like the drawing  (right hand enlarged pic). Can you remember that bit?

Thanks again

Vic Pallett

1862744143_br13tsteel18.jpg.0e8a129223720cc32f35ce4ce0136318.jpg1054473369_br13tsteel17.jpg.3b7358b4ebf1c820fab5f0f84c878570.jpg

27 minutes ago, VicPallett said:

Hi Again

Thanks for the reply re 7071 waggon kit. I think that the bent strip forming the door rests are what they refer to as striker plates and I can identify these in my many left over parts, but the bit that I am having trouble identifying goes into a location hole in the centre of the door at it's bottom. I have something referred to as the claw which is left over on the casting sprue which I think may it, but doesn't look much like the drawing  (right hand enlarged pic). Can you remember that bit?

Thanks again

Vic Pallett

1862744143_br13tsteel18.jpg.0e8a129223720cc32f35ce4ce0136318.jpg1054473369_br13tsteel17.jpg.3b7358b4ebf1c820fab5f0f84c878570.jpg

Hi Vic,

I am pretty sure it came on the lost wax casting Sprue, just looked at the wagon and the photo on page 5 of the wagon un painted and it is definitely lost wax. The bit doesn't look that different to the drawing, can you post a picture of your sprue?

Eureka, I can see it now. I thought that it was the rubbish attached to the sprue but from a different angle - well it looks just right and I feel a proper chump. Thanks for your help, it’s amazing how I couldn’t see what was right under my nose. Really interested in your layout as I am embarking on a small 0 gauge canal wharf so that I can shunt wagons around all day.

Thanks again.

Vic

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VicPallett said:

Eureka, I can see it now. I thought that it was the rubbish attached to the sprue but from a different angle - well it looks just right and I feel a proper chump. Thanks for your help, it’s amazing how I couldn’t see what was right under my nose. Really interested in your layout as I am embarking on a small 0 gauge canal wharf so that I can shunt wagons around all day.

Thanks again.

Vic

Great to hear you are sorted now Vic and good luck with your layout. I will post some more pics later, I now have some ballast down and also have some more raw material for the scrapyard courtesy of "Owd Bob" on here.

• Like 2

Get some mates, and a second Car and do what I did at the R M Web Show at Stafford, double up with both Layouts next to each other. Two Layouts, Two Scales, Twice as much fun, and loads of fun for the operators.:good:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Get some mates, and a second Car and do what I did at the R M Web Show at Stafford, double up with both Layouts next to each other. Two Layouts, Two Scales, Twice as much fun, and loads of fun for the operators.:good:

That was looking a likely option at one point for Trainwest. I live less than a mile from the venue so Transport wasn't an issue, the challenge would have been operators as Alan is guest operator for my layouts and "Woodside" which is at the same show

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, 37114 said:

That was looking a likely option at one point for Trainwest. I live less than a mile from the venue so Transport wasn't an issue, the challenge would have been operators as Alan is guest operator for my layouts and "Woodside" which is at the same show

Buy a packet of Growmore, and stick your arms in it.:sarcastic:

• Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much visible progress of late, mostly been working on raw materials to grow the scrap pile. 

The local DPD driver visited today with a rather heavy parcel which contained this beast...

20200822_202120.jpg.5850c7fef04ae50160c0729734209b57.jpg

Split box class 37s weren't really common in Bristol and certainly never came down the Avon Street branch beyond the waste terminal so this is very much a case of rule 1. As my user name implies I am a big class 37 fan and have wanted to own an O gauge class 37 since I saw one at a show when I was 12. The Heljan model is only really suitable for 37006 to 37068 without roof modifications so the plan is to model this as 37029 which visited Lawrence Hill on a couple of occasions. Some detailing is planned on the chassis which is short on detail especially around the front end and bogies while the roof fan grille is not great so will be replaced. The headcodes need converting to 00 00 for 37029 but this is not really a problem as I don't like how Heljan has printed the dominos anyway.

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a sort out in the garage yesterday prompted by the reality that we will need 2 home offices as I am likely to continue working from home much more and my wife fully returns to work next week. The plan is to replace our 10 x 8 shed with a Garden room. The problem is the shed currently houses quite a few Land Rover body parts which need to come into the garage which wasn't possible with the layout in the way. 

It was never planned to have 2 layouts on the go but we are where we are. Thankfully building the layouts as a box and the same dimensions means they can be stacked on top of each other. They just fit under a shelf and I can still work on P7Y although not at a great height. The cover propped up below the layout temporarily screws on to protect the layout.

20200831_074721.jpg.54419ceba7003cd7ee9d4a43dc44a003.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Progress has been limited lately as I have been building our garden room but with the weather rubbish and my cladding not due for delivery until next week I made some progress with the layout. 

I had wanted some BRUTE trolleys for the platform but didn't think that they would be available in 7mm but found that they are produced by 3d printing corner. Also in their repertoire are some pallet boxes which are often used by scrap merchants for non ferrous fittings.  I sprayed them blue as per the BRUTEs as I had the paint in hand. In the  back of the picture is the weighbridge office although in putting it back on the layout I managed to damage the window so need to redo this.20201004_090745.jpg.6700a7fbdb1ff7e529798e3aaa504c07.jpg

A bit of weathering later and they were on the layout 20201004_104546.jpg.c43cbc6dcbbc48d149c5bc8ea820baa4.jpg

20201004_104523.jpg.20020ee7881f487e3319f44ac94cd803.jpg

The scrap pile probably has c 500 individual pieces on it but is still to small. I will keep adding to it but have a plan to fill some of the space which involves an IXO Bedford TJ lorry which will be converted to a tipper lorry tipping scrap.20201004_104456.jpg.cc7f100dc6cf25828e8b24144806cb00.jpg

• Like 19

In the last post I mentioned about a plan to help fill the scrap yard which involved making a Bedford TJ tipper lorry. My plan is to make a truck similar to the one in the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tarquinius_superbus/33994972911/in/photolist-phd8gp-9BmupB-nhFeBm-hBb7D9-omkHKq-nhrZcM-RucaKw-e9UJk4-g7MBt4-Xummuk-74JELS-8nt2QR-24Gdxuc-TN285B-nUR28r-7rqWB6-JvyRJQ-Y5Vi6i-2g6zEqL-nf2Nyu-bCp2Xy-KhRXCf-2h3tgB9-dcArdW-gsmS9z-8rKKBr-bR9V7p-SEquUS-xw6bZs-2erbsFH-r49nLq-nhxpT7-nwN4pn-e7mGqG-JLZ6mm-KEFoE5-TmJZdA-eEToSG-dfuy61-rXz1QN-cjY2X7-9Bp2h9-rZN9gM-SFWRwC-XdMc73-nfyrzC-nPhcBR-nPdV33-GUTzWU-ebfoiA/

I will paint it in the livery of local Bristol company R.E.Hill who undertook demolition and ground work in and around the Bristol area and had a fleet of Bedford TJ's which operated well into the early 2000's, long after most had been retired (no doubt aided by the fact the TJ was produced as an export only model will into the 1990s so spares were easy to get hold of). The picture in the link below is of one of the lighter weight TJ's:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fryske/6990345345/in/faves-49261102@N07/

The raw material arrived yesterday:

TJ.jpg.96fe7a5626a18943f78e7d46092b7b27.jpg

The plan is to remove the body, shorten the chassis, change it to right hand drive, scratchbuild a tipper body and then a repaint. I am hoping to get some transfer made for it as the R.E. Hill livery was hand sign written and was quite distinctive. 

I had hoped to make some good progress last night but for some reason IXO have used triangular shaped head screws (rather than cross heads on the TK model on page 2) which I don't have the necessary bits to to undo. Rather than doing the sensible option of waiting a few days and ordering the right screwdriver online I decided to drill the screws out,  a decision I promptly regretted as they seem to be made of hardened diamond and it took me over an hour to drill out 2 screws to get the cab off..... Eventually I have dismantled most of it and as a bonus I have some nice coal sacks for the spares box.

• Like 5

I have been cracking on with the Bedford this afternoon. Having endured a bit of a torrid time dismantling it, I set about chopping the chassis to length. Helpfully the model comes with a booklet about the Bedford TJ and TL model and although written in French I was able to understand most of it and it helpfully gave some wheelbase dimensions which said for the short chassis, the wheelbase was 3.47 meters which scaled as just under 80mm. The wheelbase on the model is 103mm so I could work out where to cut it down. Also the rear overhang needs chopping down as well.

20201010_161407.jpg.1996c86f3f88129cb6cc1196eb732d83.jpg

The new dimensions correlate well to the model and I worked out by chopping between the red diesel tank and the spring hanger would remove the required 23mm. At the back I had to estimate a bit and went for the mid distance between the rear most  cross members20201010_161228.jpg.c5469636417395ef971ef8d0c584cf57.jpg

I then glued it together. I strengthened the joins with some plasticard strip as I am building this one with the body in the non tipped position and so they won't be seen.

20201010_161212.jpg.8f775264a5f6d82f8b9dd266fd8b7f6c.jpg

I then made a start on the base of the tipper body chassis. I also temporarily put the wheels back in place to get a sense of the scale.

20201010_161149.jpg.83a26f2660971ef086266ad0d3f7a36f.jpg

So far so good, next job is to finish the body and convert to right hand drive..

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More progress on the Bedford; I have started the conversion to right hand drive having modified the floor mounted parts, with the seats being swapped around as well as the gear stick and hand brake relocated. I have left the 3 pedals in their original position as they are not visible in the cab. I have also made a start on the body having started with the bed and the framework

20201011_162113.jpg.c6a367f095bb04b160cb877207ccd59f.jpg

The body is what is known as a dropside in the trade, whereby the sides fold down to allow goods to be loaded from the side, particularly with a forklift. I took the same approach and made the sides separately and then glued them in place. I still have some of the hinges that I got from Giles left over from the TK on page 2 of this thread so these will get added in due course.

20201011_162058.jpg.efa5c21f01f92ac61f799e054dd422ac.jpg

Sides on I then had a go at the front piece, there will be a canopy that goes over the part of the cab.

20201011_162044.jpg.818d5f0e167d0d7fb483eaa3ae64138b.jpg

In other news I have some more scrap being made up but this will be for wagon loads in the first instance before adding to the scrap pile. Also the detailing bits for the class 37 are due to arrive next week so as soon as the Bedford is in the paint shop I will make a start on it.

• Like 9

I have finished scratch building the tipper truck body, in the end it was about 3 hours work give or take. I need to remove the cab glazing and finish the conversion to right hand drive. I will aim to get it in primer tomorrow so I can get some traction on the paint.

20201017_190155.jpg.ca3a67f214e1ff125ecfbf2ea6e5d4d1.jpg

• Like 12